Does your dad play games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your dad play games?

So today my dad told me to take the recyclables to the drop off site. So I got off the computer and did it. When I got back he was checking his email, I figured, "ok, he'll be done in a second and I can get back on."

Now my dad really likes his RTS games, but when he tried to play Halo 2, well damn! The learning curve on those sticks must get higher as you get older. I think the last FPS he played well was Star Wars: Dark Forces. The original Kyle Kartan DOS game. (Great fun back in the day.)

You can imagine my suprise when he boots up Battlefield 2 and says, "So how do you play this game?"

I tried to explain to him the concept behind an FPS. Here's a little excerpt.

him - "How do I move?"

me - "Use the w,a,s,d keys."

him - "w...a...s...d... ?"

me - "those ones over there <-"

him - "Why not use the arrows over there ->"

me - "They spread it out so you don't end up with carpal tunnel, plus you have more keys available to press, meaning more controls available."

him - "ah...this is fun..."

me - laughs hysterically as he pushes keys one at a time, stops dead while standing up in the middle of an open field during a firefight, and STILL killing stuff/not dying while in easy mode. Curse you, easy mode!

him - "ooo I like the tank...was that guy with the blue dot over his head, who I just ran over, on my team?"

me - "yeah, more or less, but he was in your way so don't worry about it."

him - "ok"

It was completely side splitting, until I realized that I now need to buy my college computer even sooner... :(

So, anyone else's dad play BF2? I know some of you guys's dads are probably in wheel chairs, but there have to be a few out there.

Re: Does your dad play games?

lol. oh to be 18 again and be annoyed with parents.

Nope, my dad does not play, but my son does. ;-)
    |TG|MileHighAko
    |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighAko
      Nope, my dad does not play, but my son does. ;-)
      Ditto.

And I'm moving this to General Discussion for more responses from the rest of the TG community!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My dad plays games a bit. He used to play in the 80's (bought a ColecoVison for Donkey Kong, GB for Tetris) and he plays a bit of Halo(About 1/2 way through single player in Halo 1 ) He says this game looks really cool and wants to learn it. I want to teach him.

Comment

My dad plays Doom2 and Doom3, mostly just asteriods and solitare, but ive got him to try out BF2, it was to hard for him i think.

Hes more of the Software design person, not teh Gamer that he used to be.

He still tells me stories of how computers used to be, with 5" floppies, one ran OS one ran Games, how he was the first person to have 2mb of RAM, lol, and how he was one of the first persons in California to have gotton a hardrive for his computer.

"Doom was great, but Doom 2 ROCKED \M/( -.- )\M/"
          -Martin SR

"I remember times of Doom 2, but Doom 3 is the shet"
          -Martin JR
          Oyee

Comment

I *AM* a dad who plays computer games!

Believe it or not, I have a stepdaughter older than some of you. Guaranteed.

Have you ever seen "We We Soldiers Once?" Think of me as that old crusty sergeant.
            [volun]

Comment

I'm a dad and I enjoy talking to my son about gaming. He tells me that my 2 year old grand son is always wanting to play on the Xbox. Of course his dad is the one playing but he thinks he is doing it. So another gamer is waiting in the wings.

Someone needs to start a poll on the age of the gaming bunch
              The Old Guy
              kin3
              sigpic

Comment

My Dad does a little MS Flight Sim, no shooters. IL2 was too much to handle, but he was impressed. My Son is only 2, soon to be 3, but we may have three generations of gamers before too long.
                New to TG?

Comment

My mom plays computer games. She and I spent hours when I was in elementary school playing Doom 1 and 2. I bought her Doom 3 when it came out.
                  --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Keres
                    My mom plays computer games. She and I spent hours when I was in elementary school playing Doom 1 and 2. I bought her Doom 3 when it came out.
                    Your mom rocks!

At work, I was talking about BF2 with a guy and a female coworker walked up and made some comment about too much testosterone or something. I asked her if she'd ever tried it (speaking of testosterone, this chick starts more fist fights than any woman I've ever met), and she said, "No, video games are for guys". She was serious, too. I spent the next several minutes trying to explain to her that women have better hand/eye coordination on average, and that she would probably do quite well if she'd only try it. She would have none of it...

It's the same thing that keeps women away from target shooting... :icon9:
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Phelan Ward
                      So today my dad told me to take the recyclables to the drop off site. So I got off the computer and did it. When I got back he was checking his email, I figured, "ok, he'll be done in a second and I can get back on."
                      A majority of the players on Tactical Gamer ARE the "Dad's that play games" and not the "kids that play games". It's one of the unique things about Tactical Gamer, we're focused on a higher age group than a lot of other communities.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

My dad sounds the coolest so far :D.. He plays CS 1.6 with me and my friends, and he just recently beat PainKiller. But mostly he plays any FPS he likes. I think its because hes not old or anything, but hes getting there because he sometimes cant see people that are far off in the distance :( (Of course hes only like 40 yrs old I think).... The first game that we ever beat together had to be Syphon Filter on the old Playstation. Ahh the good old days. And then Half-Life 1 came out.... Then CS..... I go to my first LAN party.... Man that was kewl... I would start playing CS at like 8:00 and woudnt go to bed till like 2:00 in the morning....
                        |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

My mum used to really like Operation Wolf on the Sega Master System. One Christmas we tried to teach my Grandma to play Streets of Rage but she just kept team killing.
                          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Chalk up another dad that plays games. My son loves watching me play CS or generals, but he can't even handle playing kids games on a playstation. He'll get the hang of it eventually, and in the mean time, he's 4-6 years ahead of his class at stuff like reading, writing and math. :icon7:

Root
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

My parents roll their eyes at my computer games then mom surfs ebay for hours each day and dad goes upstairs and builds a little wooden boat when he's not watching the latest mystery on A&E. Anyone catch the latest incarnation of Kojack starring Vingh Raimes? Horrible, and yet he watched every....last....second.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X