Video Game pricing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Game pricing

I found out a couple of days ago that Mass Effect 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Dragon Age, games that I bought when they were released, have dropped their price on Steam down to 30$. COD:MW2, another game that i bought on release, is still at 60$ with the map pack at 15$. I could now buy Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age with all the DLC for that kind of price. COD:MW2's price only dropped 5% during that huge Summer Steam Sale, where I bought 3 games for 5 bucks each.

I just want some opinions on this, and whether you guys think it's the developers reasoning behind the price drop (or lack thereof).
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Video Game pricing

Publishers usually set the prices for the games. If the publisher is EA, it knows that it can make more income when prices drop down slightly. Activision knows that people will buy anything with Call of Duty or Modern Warfare in the name, so it sees no reason to drop down the price.

Comment

Because they don't have to drop the price. People are buying it at the higher price in numbers that make them happy financially. The other games are not selling at the higher prices at volumes desired so they have a big sale to move product.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Mass Effct is one of the best games in my experience. Not everyone will agree, but the ones who like the first one will almost certainly want the second and third (I think) and yet it was about half the price of COD: MW games when it came out (here, dont know about US). I dont know why.

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

With digital distribution I don't know why some don't lower their prices sooner, even with good sales. There are games that I simply won't buy until the price drops and won't buy ever if it takes too long for that to happen.

Mass Effect 2 is a good example, I just bought it because the price dropped to $30. Even if your profit on selling something digitally for say $20 is only $5, if 1 million people buy it at that price that wouldn't have bought it at all for any price higher...well the math is pretty simple.

This of course applies only to digital versions as the cost of pressing discs, packaging, and shipping is quite costly I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
            This of course applies only to digital versions as the cost of pressing discs, packaging, and shipping is quite costly I imagine.
            Depends on the distribution method, the cost to develop and maintain it, how many items are offered and restricting it to authorized users. Printing isn't too bad in volume, and even digital distribution can cost a bit due to overhead and needed equipment.

Physical copy: Upfront cost to press and package, once sold it is done with on the retail end.
            Digital copy: Upfront cost for distribution method or pay per sale for 3rd party. If repeat downloads available that's more bandwidth requirements, etc.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Simple: Bobby Kotick is a money grubbing a-hole, and the enemy of the gaming industry as we know it.

If it were left to him, we would have a new COD every year, with a paid subscription on top of it.
              Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                Simple: Bobby Kotick is a money grubbing a-hole, and the enemy of the gaming industry as we know it.

If it were left to him, we would have a new COD every year, with a paid subscription on top of it.
                +rep couldn't have said it better, well i cold have but then it wouldn't be appropriate for TG. :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Game companies have realized that gamers in general are getting younger and younger each year. Because they are young, they have attention spans measured in nano seconds. Game companies are very aware of this fact. So, they release game after game to these younger "gamers" year after year, and they keep buying them. So, they keep pumping out new games and dropping the prices on older ones. The price drop triggers something in the brain that says "Hey, this game used to be $60 now its $20. That must mean it is a bad game. I will just get the newest one I can find cause its still $60 which means its good." Its a pretty good racket by the big game companies.

The only glitch in the plan is PC gamers. We have been known to play a game for many years after release (CSS is still crazy popular).

"What are we too do about these PC Gamers" - The game company asks. "I got it!" screamed someone from the back. "What makes PC games last so long?"...the room was silent..."Community Addons!"...."OOOOOOOOH" they all say in unison.."If we start making more and more games with less and less support, the will eventually fall into the same payment plans as our console players."....This bright young fellow is now a top producer at "Big Game Company".

*All speculation of course. The last bit was a rant just for the sake of getting it out there. But, we are paying more for less because game companies know the young kids will have mom and dad get it for them. Like clockwork.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Woohoo! Thanks for this post! With BF:BC2 dropping to 30 bucks, I just FINALLY bought it. Downloading on Steam now. :)
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

dont we already have a new COD released every year?

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

...Kinda.

Two different developers. Although I guess you're right.
                        Skud

Comment

Supply and demand. If it keeps selling at 60 they are not going to drop the price. If salse crash significantly then they will try to boost them with a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo13 View Post
                            Supply and demand. If it keeps selling at 60 they are not going to drop the price. If salse crash significantly then they will try to boost them with a sale.
                            Or "New DLC" thats only 15 dollars :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X