Video Games Going to the Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games Going to the Supreme Court

So, I was sitting here reading the briefs for the big California vs. ESA/EMA case, and I was wondering, who here has actually read the arguments for the case? Any thoughts on the case itself?
    |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Re: Video Games Going to the Supreme Court

Well... it's actually pretty scary. I'm not a US resident, I live in the heart of Europe.
    Nontheless this case does very much affect me and all of us!
    The US market is one of the biggest and most important markets for the gaming industry. At least for western titles.
    I really hope that the supreme court realizes what's at stake here. It's not just the US which would be affected, it would be the whole world, the whole industry. The whole medium!

Here's a nice vid I just watched yesterday which sums it up pretty nicely I think.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...61-Free-Speech
    sigpic

Comment

I think that if these kids parents had done what they where supposed too, we wouldn't be here. Everyone looks to blame everyone but the people that are actually at fault. "It's the game companies fault for releasing this to minors!". No, actually, its their parents fault for not acting like parents and keeping an eye on what the kids are doing. Man up and say you screwed up. Stop blaming companies that are doing a job. No one blames Mary Kay when some young college student starts work at a strip club.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

It's California. Yet another reason to never move there.

Comment

If you're not offending someone, it's not Free Speech and doesn't need protecting.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Great link Vouk. It says what I was thinking, but it actually makes sense, unlike what comes out of my mouth when I try and make a point lol.
            sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by 16Note View Post
              Any thoughts on the case itself?
              The U.S. Supreme Court has made more or less satisfying decisions relating to "new" technology in the past. I'm fairly confident they won't screw it up. At least a little. Sort of. Knock on wood.

The shenanigans over mature games in Australia has made that a no-man's zone for a lot of companies (indie developers are basically unable to release there if they have to submit to the government's rating processing fees). Heck, just getting games from major developers is usually a process requiring nearly as much work as getting a damn hand gun. If the same were to happen here, the industry would basically be killed because of lazy parents and ignorant, lazy morons with power they shouldn't have.

Comment

The entertainment industry in general is rising up against California at this point, filing a Friend of the Court brief today. Kotaku has a fairly solid article describing some of baser issues with the law.

Also, directly from the law itself:
                "(c) "Video game" means any electronic amusement device that utilizes a computer, microprocessor, or similar electronic circuitry and its own monitor, or is designed to be used with a television set or a computer monitor, that interacts with the user of the device."
                Apparently, video games are devices, rather than software now, according to this law. Cell phone? Video game. GPS? Video game. Blood glucose monitor? Video game. Yeah, this law is a major ****-up of epic proportions.

If the Supreme Court doesn't smash this to bits... Yeah...

Comment

Oral arguments will be presented tomorrow, the same day elections are happening.

http://kotaku.com/5678354/all-you-ne...-supreme-court

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Man up and say you screwed up. Stop blaming companies that are doing a job.
                    parents will always blame someone else first before they blame themselves. I think the places that sells games that have a M rating that you need to be 18 or older or run it by the parents first to see if the kid can get the game. They do it for movies, why can't they do it with video games?

Comment

Originally posted by Vita158 View Post
                      parents will always blame someone else first before they blame themselves. I think the places that sells games that have a M rating that you need to be 18 or older or run it by the parents first to see if the kid can get the game. They do it for movies, why can't they do it with video games?
                      As the sources say (as well as the Escapist video, which I enjoyed), is not whether the sale of mature games is to be restricted to minors; but if videogames, as a whole, are considered free speech and thus, if they should get first amendment protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Vita158 View Post
                        Although it is not against the law, many stores have their own policies that require you to show ID to prove you are 18 or older; otherwise they will not sell you M rated games.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                          Although it is not against the law, many stores have their own policies that require you to show ID to prove you are 18 or older; otherwise they will not sell you M rated games.
                          Hell, a lot of the "big box" stores (I know this applies to Target, Best Buy, and if I recall correctly, Fry's Electronics, too) require the clerk to swipe IDs into the register to even allow the sale to go through at all.

Comment

Just FYI in Europe there are a couple of countries in which selling game which are rated 18+ to minors is a serious offense. (Germany for example... I don't really know how it's here in Austria... We're not that hysterical about the whole game issue, we don't prohibit violent games or censor them like the Germans.)
                            And what did we get out of the whole "omg omg omg violent games!!11" issue?

Huuuuuuuuge signs on the boxes... Blegh...
                            Like there's ANY difference between a small red sign and a big red sign. Except of course that the big red sign looks ridiculous and hysterical. (Political PR gag is what it is...)

(German version... That's why I usually import my games from the UK. That and the mostly HORRIBLE german synchro)
                            sigpic

Comment

There's also the whole anti-Nazi-imagery thing in Germany.

The whole point seems to be that most people are too dumb to figure out that game violence shouldn't be carried over into the real world, and that we should live in Huxley's Brave New World where our thinking is done for us by our government.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X