need some help please =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help please =)

Hey folks, so my wife's b-day is coming up and I would like to build her a place to grow her herbs and maybe some veggies in our basement. Problem is I have no idea what type of lights and height to make it. I googled hydroponics and you can guess what came up, everything anyone could ever want to know about building a pot growing spot indoors. But she doesn't want to grow pot, she wants basil and oregano and sage and peppers. If anyone know of a good resource to learn a bit so I can plan it out that would be awesome =) Thanks in advance :D
    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Re: need some help please =)

Any instructions for an indoor pot garden are likely to be better than anything you'll find from an actual botanist.

Snark aside, a second on zeh Googles gave me this: http://herbgardens.about.com/od/indo...ingIndoors.htm

Comment

That's a really nice idea :]

My mom used... mhh... I have no idea how they're called.

They're like hollow stone bricks... You'll get them everywhere... Just fill em up with soil and plant the herbs.
      What's MUCH more important than how to build it, is the needs of the herbs. You could fill a bucket with soil (Mhh! Maybe one of those nice aluminum buckets with a nice wooden handle) and it would grow.

Ask the people where you buy the herbs what they need. A lot of sun, semi-shade, full shade, lots of watering, etc.
      Some herbs are easier to grow, some are hard to grow. Depends on where you live and how the climate is.
      sigpic

Comment

flarf is actually quite right here, llama. the instructions for growing pot and growing herbs are about the same. the big difference is going to be the lighting. obviously, natural sunlight is best, but you can substitute with indoor lights. for the things you want to grow, most garden shops or hydroponics shops will be able to provide you with the proper lighting to get good growth out of your little herb garden. if you buy her a full-on hydroponics rig, the herbs will grow faster than you can actually use them, so unless she's going to be giving them away, i'd recommend building a planter box from scratch.

for the garden itself, i built one for myself that I use year round. obviously, my lighting situation wouldnt work for you because I put it on the porch during the warm months and in the south-facing windowsill during the winter so it gets the same amount of light all year.

first tip: DONT USE PLYWOOD. I used pine for my box. it measures 6' L x 1' W x 1' H. I built it with six dividers, but you can build it with as many or as few as you want. I sealed it with standard store-bought water seal, then bought plastic sheeting and cut it to the right size to line each of the planter boxes and stapled it in place. After that, it was just a matter of topsoil (DO NOT USE POTTING SOIL FOR HERBS), seeds (I grow basil, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and tarragon), and regular watering.

Comment

You might want to think about a drainage layer at the bottom if you are using soil. Stagnant moisture at the roots is a killer for almost every plant.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys =) looks like I am looking up pot growing srategies....lol
            |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
            I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Seriously though, the potheads are liable to give you some of the most creative and effective advice.

Comment

Have a look at this site. Just type in "indoor garden" in the upper right corner and loads of different techniques and ideas will blossom before your eyes :)
                We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X