Time for a new FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new FPS

Soon I have gotten a craving for a new good team based online FPS.
    From looking around it seems like there is Left for Dead 2, Call of Duty, and Bad Company 2. Anything else?

I really enjoyed my days on battlefield 2142 and the battlefield 2. I also had a bunch of fun with left for dead. Then the majority of my time before that was in team fortress and counter strike. Never really played COD multiplayer. Anyways how does bad company 2 compare to say BF2142. Or LFD2 to the first?

I suppose the other major thing I have noticed is that any game that has a large TG presence become crazy more enjoyable. Is there a particular FPS that TGers are hanging out at these day?

Re: Time for a new FPS

Pr:arma :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

2142 has had a bit of a come back and with the new 1.51 patch needing only a few tweaks before general release it should rise from the ashes for a while.

BC2 remains popular and can be a lot of fun. It does have it's limitations though, with no working voip or command structure it can get a bit chaotic and it is a console port so can feel very arcady at times. There is a Vietnam add on pack being released in the next few weeks. I'm a TGU instructor for BC2 so let me know if you want any info or if you would like an introduction class to the game.
      We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

Medal of Honor comes out 12 October :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The Project Reality mod for BF2 is in full swing. The 0.95 release version is due soon, with lots of great new features in store.

There's quite a community for it here at TG, and it's a great game if you don't mind the waiting periods (the good stuff is worth waiting for; and if the good stuff happened the entire game you might have a heart attack).

Comment

I came from the exact same boat you were in. I was reintroduced to the FPS genre years ago, with BF2, naturally tried (and loved) 2142. The gameplay got a bit stale or repetitive after a lack of updates. I moved on to try MW (first one), TF2, and L4D, as well as BF Heroes. As a note, I wasn't introduced to TG until BC2 (after all the other games I listed).

I haven't tried TG MW, but from my experience, MW and teamwork are a rare mix. The game is pretty much built around running and gunning. I got over it after a few weeks.

IMHO, L4D2 is essentially an expansion to the original L4D. Same gameplay, with new weapons, maps, and characters/infected. It's the original L4D with lots of new great material, but nothing revolutionary in terms of changing things up. I enjoyed TF2, but I'm more a fan of larger scale battles that have more of an apples-to-apples competition (for lack of better words).

BC2 is the game I primarily play these days. Because it's infantry-centric, along with smaller and linear maps, combat is faster-paced than your usual BF2 and 2142 battles. The best I can compare it to is BF2's Karkland or 2142's Gibraltar/Tunis Harbor/Cerbere landing. Most maps have a couple of vehicles, and enemy infantry is often around the corner. If you liked the more hectic situations in BF2 and 2142, you should definitely give BC2 a shot. It doesn't come without it's flaws, however. It lacks any sort of a command structure, and VoIP is broken at best. Because of this, teamwork is limited to what you make of it on TS. I'm still relatively new here at TG, but I feel thanks to TG, BC2 has a great amount of teamwork in tactics... just a different brand compared to other games. In my opinion, the TG community is what makes the TG BC2 server head and shoulders better than any other server, but given by what I've seen of this community, I'd be surprised if that isn't the case for any game.

With the release of the 2142 v1.51 beta, I'm going to give that a try to change things up (but still primarily play BC2), but as of now v1.51 is limited to like 4 servers.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. I might have to look into reinstalling 2142 or project reality.

@ retrokill & Brokeback
              So what do you mean by no command structure? Like there is no commander of the whole battle or there is not even a squad leader? Also is it base capturing focused like the other Battle Fields? One of the things I liked about BF2 or 2142 was being able to act as a squad (a lot of time there was no commander hah) and just pushing the line forward or pushing wave after wave on some base. Is the squad focused game play still carried over?

Comment

In BC2 there is no commander, and no squadleader. There is a squad, but it is limited to 4 players and has no leader (not to mention no VOIP working in the game at all right now)

Comment

I'd recommend the Natural Selection mod, but the donated server is only filled a few times a week with old TGNS regulars. Keep a lookout for NS2, best team game ever:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

Both sides have commanders leading/supporting the teams.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                    So what do you mean by no command structure? Like there is no commander of the whole battle or there is not even a squad leader? Also is it base capturing focused like the other Battle Fields? One of the things I liked about BF2 or 2142 was being able to act as a squad (a lot of time there was no commander hah) and just pushing the line forward or pushing wave after wave on some base. Is the squad focused game play still carried over?

There is no physical commander or squad leader spots, just squads of up to 4 people where you can spawn off anyone. At TG our squad play remains pretty good and it is flag/bleed style play like the other battlefield games in conquest, and blow up their caches style gameplay in rush.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

So how do you handle VOIP. Do you just switch TS channels before a map?

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                        So how do you handle VOIP. Do you just switch TS channels before a map?
                        Usually you join the channel of the team/squad you are playing with, and that team/squad will carry over each round unless you get autobalanced so you can remain in that TS channel for the rest of your time playing.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

i was just going to start a new thread , then i saw yours . i feel the samw way i play BF2/pr- mod nightly and getting alittle tired of of it need something new to kick start good team FPS ! is there anything on the rader that is coming out (new not mods) ?

Comment

Originally posted by FLooDY View Post
                            i was just going to start a new thread , then i saw yours . i feel the samw way i play BF2/pr- mod nightly and getting alittle tired of of it need something new to kick start good team FPS ! is there anything on the rader that is coming out (new not mods) ?
                            There's an open beta for Medal of Honour out just now. Finishes on Oct 7th. Played a few good rounds with other TGers last night and it was a lot of fun - much better than I anticipated.
                            We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

Killing Floor, my man, Killing Floor!

There's also Alien Swarm which is free on Steam (top-down perspective 3rd person shooter).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X