Gendered Communication and Leadership Styles in Online Gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gendered Communication and Leadership Styles in Online Gaming

(Not sure where best to post this item. A forum dedicated to the academic study of online gaming might be useful, particularly as it would help bring together the subject matter and draw the attention of researchers. TG represents a treasure trove of data for the study of online gaming).
    Now that I have FRAPS up and running, and a high-powered rig for gaming and video editing, I am returning to my earlier autoethnographic study of online virtual videography in FPS gaming environments here in TG. This will likely culminate in a scholarly book down the road.

While gender and gaming is a subject of many academic studies, there is very little research into the differences in communication and leadership styles between men and women within military-style FPS online video games.

The following probably represents one of the first analysis, albeit a very brief one, of primary data (in-game voice record) of a female player in this context.

The subject is TG's own Dr. Beat. The video unfortunately does not capture her in action, just my field of view in the game in which she was playing. Nonetheless, the subject's actual actions are here a distant concern, as it is communication between her and her team which is the focus of the documentary.

I strongly suspect that there are indeed differences in communication and leadership styles within such virtual environments -- hardly an extraordinary assertion -- as such differences are well documented in "real life" and are bound to carry over in the online gaming environment.
    (Best viewed in HD)

Dr. Strangelove (a.k.a [TG] E-Male)
    University of Ottawa
    Last edited by E-Male; 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Gendered Communication and Leadership Styles in Online Gaming

Points of concern:

1. Is this true? Don't you know her in some way, like she is TG or another familiarity: "We know no initial information about this woman"

2. Is this exhibiting bias? Especially on the grounds of familiarity: "Exhibiting high degree of: leadership.. game dynamics.. strategy" (forgive misquote), especially on the grounds of 1. The turn of phrase when describing what we will see seems to switch from statements of factual events and scenarios to using adjectives praising the individual. Again this smells heavily due to the suscpicion of 1 is in fact untrue.

3. What about a FPS like Project Reality. Wouldn't it be good to see how DrBeat is if she were to game there? It has a large drawing of current and prior miltary types, as well as a more general community, and so could be considered a more for more 'mature' gamers.

4. The TG players in the group will obvously want to play to a form, how would this be in a 'puby' server, or a server that is akin to TG?

I'm a bit lost at the aim, considering the inrtoduction, though it sounds great in concept it does seem biased and that you know the subject or have a bias which is denied. It would be good to look at FPS like PR too due to the community there and its various styles, attitudes and personalities.

4, DrBeat has a pretty groovey voice. Females do in general attract males. With these two concepts and the obvious male attraction would it be good to cross reference with individual styles in a community like PR, especially considereing 3?

I'm just jealous DrBeat isn't playing PR :(

P.s DrBeat, no offence to you, you obvously have good communication skills and a skilled player (and I'm still jealous you don't play PR due to my male rubbishness). It's just the points of concern really, which I think in a way takes away from you in some way, especially the denial of 'no prior information' statement which seems misleading.

p.p.s. Sorry E-Male if I am sounding pedantic. I am on your side, it just struck me as a bit confusing. Forgive me if I am wrong and I hope you help clarify. If I have hit something, I am glad to help.
    Last edited by Taip3n; 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: NB: re-wrtten as E-mail replied below and so he had not had a full chance of reply,at time of this editing note. see 2nd post

Comment

Originally posted by Taip3n View Post
      Points of concern:

1. Is this true? Don't you know her in some way, ike she is TG or another familiarity: "We know no initial information about this woman"
      I only know that she is a TG member and an Admin -- important info -- keep in mind that I assume she wishes to remain as many of us are -- anonymous.

2. Is this exhibiting bias? Especially on the grounds of familiarity: Exhibiting high degree of: leadership.. game dynamics.. strategy" (forgive misquote).
      There is bias in all data and analysis. Nonetheless, I do not think that there is any great bias in my observations -- and they are open to counter interpretation, but you will have a hard time convincing people familiar with Dr. Beat that my inital assessment is flawed.

I'm a bit lost at the aim, considering the inrtoduction, though it sounds great in concept.
      The aim of many areas of research is to fill in the gaps -- this particular field of study has a huge gap here.

It MUST be kept in mind that my point is not to suggest that Dr. Beat or my observations about Dr. Beat provides a representation of the general characteristics of female FPS online game play vis a vis communication and leadership.

This is merely one 'data set'. An initial observation of an emerging phenomenon, one largely overlooked in the scholarly literature.
      sigpic

Comment

Perhaps I am being pedantic. Call it then a friendly a head's up that I guess it is wise to be clear. You know how it is in the academic world, as it is here. I can appreciate that here is not the place to underline the t's and dot the i's.

Also a head's up that I changed some words and added a sentance on the first point and 2nd. that they seemed to denote an element of untruth. I am happy and stand by your statement since for this but offer you that I did change the line, so give you a head's up for right of reply.

In any case it sounds a great and interesting subject. Sorry for being pedantic and dotting the i's and crossing the t's. It is born out of a genuine interest and a friendly willing for you to succeed. I hope both of you frequent PR so I am lucky enough to meet you. Consider a friendly helper in me, even if I don't sound it initially here and I hope my questions were beneficial and not annoying.

Comment

Taip3n, no offense taken (one must have a thick skin in my industry -- ever read a critical review of a scholarly book?).

You raised good points and important issues.
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't read a book to criticise nor written one that would have such scholarly pressure. My uttermost respect goes out to you in success and happy chance. I never got far beyond undergrad and am not in such a knife edged world as academia.

Thanks for saying I raised good point and important issues.

Sounds a great and interesting, and looking forward to more. Again all my wishes in fruitful success.

Comment

Honestly, I don't buy into the gender thing, but this is the result of SLing in 2142, and real life leadership. Average teenager by day, drum major by afternoon (and sometimes evenings), and admin by night.

Everything I learned about leadership came from this man, George N. Parks, who unfortunately passed away a week ago today; my heart still feels heavy.

E-Male: catch me in TS sometime and we can talk about this sort of thing.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss, Dr. Beat.

Like it or not, men and women exhibit significant differences (and similarities) when it comes to communication, leadership, and just about all other areas of life. A million years of evolution, genetic, social, and cultural patterning are at work here, and you will not find any significant body of science that dismisses these factors or claims that we are all the same.

Be careful about completely dismissing "the gender thing" -- it is bigger than both of us . . .
                sigpic

Comment

Geez, Dr. Beat, you have a really calm, relaxing voice. If I were actually in a war I would totally want you as a radio operator. haha

Comment

Paramedic from MGS3.
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                      ...Like it or not, men and women exhibit significant differences (and similarities) when it comes to communication, leadership, and just about all other areas of life...
                      I havenīt made any sort of scientific research into gender differences regarding leadership and communication. In my experience though, women are no different regarding communication, itīs how the men receive communication from a woman that is different.
                      Instead of telling a woman she communicates in a different way, ask the men why they perceive it as different.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you are under 20, you communicate differently than an adult (your brain is not yet fully developed, thus the many distinct characteristics of teenagers...)

Black and white people communicate differently.

People from different cultures communicate differently.

People who speak different languages and dialectics communicate differently.

On just the subject of gender and communication, there are over 2 million research papers that discuss, explore, and debate the communication differences between men and women.

My point of this thread is not to "tell" anyone that they communicate differently, but consider the implications for self-awareness of Alvin's comment above.

Our differences (and our similarities) are important. We have some basic choices in life, and the most basic has to do with knowing thyself.

Consider the conclusion of Daniel J. Canary and Kathryn Dindia, "Gender differences are pervasive" (Sex Differences and Similarities in Communication: Critical Essays and Empirical investigations of Sex and Gender in interaction, Routledge, 1998).

Should we dismiss differences and reduce our self-awareness?
                        sigpic

Comment

I find that studies that focus on differences between races or genders tend to lead to generalisation and the cementing of stereotypes. I think itīs more about the person, regardless of sex, skintone, language or age.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                          ...consider the implications for self-awareness of Alvin's comment above...
                          Not sure what youīre getting at.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                            I find that studies that focus on differences between races or genders tend to lead to generalisation and the cementing of stereotypes. I think itīs more about the person, regardless of sex, skintone, language or age.

Not sure what youīre getting at.

My comment about self awareness is not about you. It is referring to the science and to social reality.

I certainly did not mean to imply that you are lacking in self-awareness.

As to whether or not differences are about the person, well, let's go back to the general state of the science about persons. My hair colour is due to my genes, my personality is significantly due to my social context.

The 'person' is deeply embedded in the social system, and that social system generates significant and pervasive differences between genders, races, the young and the old, and language groups.

When we loose sight of the differences, we loose sight of the individual and his or her particularities.
                            sigpic

Comment

I find your thoughts and opinions on this matter interesting, however I get the feeling that that is all there is to it. I highly respect your opinions and that you share them here on TG.
                              Studying to become a teacher here in Sweden I have had the opportunity to study some of the things I feel you are writing about. Some of the classes I have taken are on: Gender, communication, didactics, pedagogy and democracy.

The opinion I have formed after reading these books and writing my papers is that it is very dangerous to assume things. I have studied examples that show that by just giving a person an attribute "makes" that person. So if I assume that women are for example different, I will actively treat them different, and the person I interact with will respond accordingly.

So in this case, as Dr. Beat is saying, she has prior experience as a squad leader in BF2142 where I first came across her. Now I admire anyone who can step up and lead a squad of strangers through VOIP, gender has nothing to do with that. She as many of the SL's are good at what they do because they have practised and have a knack for verbal communication.

You wrote "Like it or not, men and women exhibit significant differences (and similarities) when it comes to communication, leadership, and just about all other areas of life".
                              How so?
                              Is that not another opinion of yours?
                              I feel that this is the views of people who work/find themselves in a male dominated area.
                              I can agree that men and women have slightly different anatomy, but the rest I would argue is dictated by the society a person lives in and their upbringing.

Further you mention that white people communicate differently than black people, what do you mean by that?
                              Do you mean body language, slang or that there just is a difference?

I have grown up in a different culture than you. My country has often been called the most equal country in the world (gender wise) and I see inequality everyday. What I mean by this statement is that when you hear that we as swedes treat men and women equal, we turn a blind eye toward the fact that we don't.
                              I often hear reports that women make less money than men even though they perform the same tasks and have the same positions. This is generally explained by a shoulder shrug and the line "that is just the way it is". If there is ever any questions about it people (men) come up with arbitrary explanations to why women make less (physical strength, stress, having children etc.) These explanations have nothing to do with the truth. The truth being that people discriminate other people based on wrongful assumptions and prejudice. Some are fine with that, some are not.

So what did this incoherent mess o a post boil down to?
                              That I agree with General_Alvin, the more sound thing to explore is why men perceive what women do and say as different.
                              I respect your opinion and did in no way try to offend. Just sharing my views on the subject. I wish you good luck with you work. What made me post this comment was the statements that men and women are different form men, and that people of different skin color communicate differently.
                              "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X