ArmA2 on an SSD, Yes or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA2 on an SSD, Yes or no?

Hey guys. today i did a fresh format of my PC with a nice fresh windows7 install onto my M225 128gig SSD. Now obviously even with my few essential apps on it there is still plenty of space left. Now my main hard drives are 2 Samsung 1TB F3s in Raid0 and in sequential read and writes pretty much match the SSD. of course the SSD is much quicker with its smaller random operations etc So i was wondering what you guys think is the best place for ArmA? bearing in mind that my arma folder can get BIG 30gig+ any evidence for and against the SSD in arma2 would be extra appreciated :)

Would i notice smoother play from the SSD?

System specs:

i7 920 @4ghz
    6gig of ddr3 @ 1600 6 8 6 24 timings
    ati 5870 @900/1200

Re: ArmA2 on an SSD, Yes or no?

damn it this was meant to be in the hardware section. any friendly mods mind moving it for me please?

Comment

I'm hearing that there is no reason you wouldn't put it on an SSD... unless you have enough ram for a ramdisk.

Comment

Ssd

Comment

SSD has always been the favourite in the community, if you have the cash for it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

awesome. well iv already got the SSD. And seeing as i have just reformatted everything I thought I should ask where would be best for Arma to go. appreciate the replies guys.

Comment

I am running Windows 7 and Arma2/OA with all addons on a Patriot Torqx 64 GB SSD, total 40.7 gb. Everything else is run off a 300GB spinner, Arma runs great with absolutly no problems. I have been running it like this for over a year and Arma keeps growing and with Arma/PR on the way I am afraid I'll have to get a bigger SSD.

Comment

yeah thats what im afraid of. my ssd is 128gig but iv also got windows on there and my units mod pack is like 6gig + other personal mods and then drivers etc etc

gonna have to get me one of those 480gig IBIS drives from ocz mmm mmm mm those are tasty looking

Comment

I reckon it would be cheaper and better to add the ram for a ramdsik, no? Way I heard it, you still get loading stutter with an SSD, its faster but still noticable. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

well A i already have the SSD and was asking due to a reformat and reinstall so i had the chance to choose where to put arma2 this time round. RAMdisks will be better for sure but i have to say its smooth as anything now its on the SSD. i have a fairly decent one tho so maybe the cheaper ones might not be so smooth. My issue with adding more RAM is i like to overclock and more RAM = more stress the on memory controller limiting your overclock potential. I would rather have 6gig of ram with a nice big CPU and ram overclock and tight timings than having say 12, or more, and having to drop my overclock. it would in the end result in poorer performance all for a few seconds of load time.

Best solution?

4 OCZ ibis drives in Raid0, giving you roughly 2-2.5gbps transfer speeds. Downside? retardedly high costs :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X