Am I guilty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I guilty?

I got arrested last Saturday for endangering the welfare of a child, assault in the 3rd, attempt to commit a crime(?).

My mother was watching my eight year old nephew... lets call him Bob. Well, My sister was going to take the kids up to my other sisters house along with my son. I was talking to her when my mother came over with Bob to return her camera. After giving her the camera she told Bob it was time to go back. She went to grab Bob's hand to guild him he started yelling "go to hell...i don't have to listen to you..."
    I was standing about 6 feet away when I heard him say that then watched him kick at my mother, his grandmother. She just had surgery and one of her arms is in a cast.
    I walked twords him and grabbed his shirt and he pulled away falling to the ground. I reached down and grabbed him by the back of the neck, walked him over to the house, told him "you do not talk to people like that or act that way and made him stand in time out for 15 minutes.
    Later that day I get a call telling me that Bob's father had filed a report because there were scratches on his neck from the shirt.

Now I understand getting called in to questioning then arrested if I had lost my temper and spanked him or pulled my belt off and beat him. Does anyone here see where I'm coming from? I'm out on bail and have to go back to court on the 13th. I'm discusted...

Oh yeah. The next day Bob thought it would be fun to hide his fathers wallet. After he stretched for it all day Bob finally said he had it. Bobs daddy then proceeded to spank Bob and the neighbors called the cops on him. :row__520:

So what do you guys think? I'm thinking jury trial. There is no way in hell I'm going to have that crap on my record. Was I wrong? My way of thinking is I should have at least of gotten the satisfaction of beating Bob if I'm going to be charged with it.
    Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Re: Am I guilty?

Speak with a lawyer.

Failing that, speak with a lawyer.

If you haven't managed the other option, SPEAK WITH A LAWYER.

:

That said, yeah, it's bull, based on the limited information you've presented here.

Comment

What Flarf said SPEAK WITH A LAWYER!
      sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Definitely time to be prepared to part with some money......but from the sounds of it, it will be money well spent
        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

If I had said those things to my grandmother, it would have been a race to see who which parent or other family member would beat the **** out of me first. I'm not talking a serious beating, but an ass-warming that I'd not soon forget. Yeah, I suppose a 15 minute time out would have worked, but during my childhood a 15 minute time out was how long before you could sit down again.

Sorry, but this situation is partially responsible for the sorry shape our kids are as they grow up. A total lack of discipline, respect and self esteem is not born in a person, it has to be nurtured, tolerated and forgiven, over and over. Then take a look at what happens when they do grow up.

I feel sorry for you Megaputz. I think you got caught up in the nosy neighbor syndrome. I do agree with all before me. Get in touch with an attorney.

Good luck, bud!

kgwolf

Comment

You guys are right. Lawyer up. I can't afford internet... let alone a lawyer so I'll end up with a public defender. I have no intention of doing a plea deal. I did not strike the boy, the only marks are from the shirt and that is fro him pulling away... When I heard the fabric of the shirt ripping I let go, I didn't yank harder or use my grip on the shirt to throw him to the ground. I didn't loose my temper and strike him. I know better. I didn't squeeze his neck so hard that I left bruises.
            I go to court tomarrow... Gunna hand in my request for a public defender and go from there. Hoping the judge won't raise my bail, I'm currently out on my own recognesense. Don't know...just don't know. If the DA, judge, cops are saying what I did was bad enough to press charges then my only hope is that a jury of "normal" people/parents have more brains then the people in government. Then again...

There is way more to this kid then this one incident. Last year his father tried to have my father arrested for something similar. My father grabbed him by his shirt, spanked and dragged him to time out after catching Bob choking a four year old. In the last year he has been throw off the bus expelled from school, kicked out of the YMCA, summer camp and day care. I guess I could use all of those people as character witnesses. Ironically my father is the only person who will watch Bob even after last year. He picks on our kids and doesn't listen at all. He thrives on negative attention and even if you do "discipline" him with time outs when his time is up he goes right back to into it. I know my sisters and her ex's stand on spanking which is IT DOESN'T happen, ever. That is why I knew better then to spank him. Ironic how they are avid anti spanker's yet he almost got charged after spanking Bob.

During my arraignment I asked for a restraining order on Bob, his father and mother (my sister). It raised the judges eye brows.
            I'm sick of having no freedom of association. I'm tired of that child picking on my son, niece and nephew all 4-5 years old. I'm so sick of everyone telling my sister they won't watch Bob and being forced to watch him out of pressure from family... I know family helps family but after this why put myself in a position where he has to be handled, restrained, spoken to. I am a single father taking care of a four year old. I don't need this or the stress of having child protective service up my ass. I don't want to loose my son. I went through all that house ca ca when he was two months old... my ex said I was a drug addict, mentally unstable, verbally abusive... I went and had drug tests done at my own expense, went to a consouler... at my own expense.
            What really makes me angry is people can make such claims and even if you are vindicated. There are no repercussions for the person filing a false report. It's slander.

It's just more crap to deal with when I really don't need it. I lost my job and I'm barely getting by now working part time and barley bring home $100 a week. I'm working for my land lard to pay my rent. My ex is in the hospital again because she's "depressed". Depressed my arse... She gets $700 a month plus food stamps, medical and rent assistance and she has never worked a day in her life.
            I don't want to go on the public dole. I still have some pride and I know if I go there what little self respect I have will be gone. If that happens... I'm lost. I'm just trying to get through life now and hold on until it gets better.
            I'm so disgusted.
            Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

Its embarrassing to think that even spanking your child can get the cops called on you today. You my friend did not even do this, a child year talking back to his grandmother and kicking her deserves far worse then this however.

Whatever you do hang in there, common sense will prevail.

Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never,

Post personal, private, privalaged or important information on the net.
                Asking for important law advice on a gaming forum is worthless. Not only now do "I" know you have been convicted of a crime you now have your "story" written in stone for the world to see. I recomend you get someone to delete this thread imeditaly.

Unless your trollin, if thats the case...

Trololololololol
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

^ Very good point!

Maybe your brother in law had a case of Karma backlash, who knows, but you need a lawyer don't insult public defenders they can keep you out of jail. Hopefully you don't have family members who belong to TG.

What's a land lard?
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Seriously, you really don't want this on a public forum. Especially since you are (at least in my understanding of the law), guilty of at least one of the crimes. It's stupid, and I have my own experiences with, but from what I recall assault and battery only requires contact, not anything bad even, grabbing an arm could be termed that way. I'm not sure how much it varies state by state, but it sounds like from a legal standpoint you are in some trouble. At the same time, that standard of Assault is not usually what is held up in court from what I understand, and depending on how you present yourself it is likely that you should get off with a judicial slap on the wrist, pre-trial probation, dropped charges, something of the sort. Ask, more privately and hypothetically on a legal forum for really useful pertinent advice.

Comment

if u lawyer up ur probaly guilty quote rom the town but it is always to have one on sand by
                      They run fast but i shoot fasterthey think fast but i think smater

Comment

As a father, I can tell you now that it's the most disgusting (yet shameful, as you know you didn't do **** all wrong but you know full well people come to conclusions anyway before anything of fact is actually known) accusation someone can face. I have had it recently, and after 6 months, had the system tell the person who made the malicious accusations to grow up and start acting like a mother (hid that well....). Within a generation, what was acceptable when we grew up is no longer acceptable. I dealt with UK law, and they were good, if not slow, as to the parenting skills I showed in terms of discipline towards kids who are not legally my own but brought up as a father for 4 years even though I have 2 of my own. I guess legally this is very, very similar. Stick to your guns, and demand they prove you caused any marks on the child. They have to prove beyond reasonable doubt, and that's difficult. Do not let your defender be concerned that they are fighting an 8 year old. All too many will be worried about what the jury think, if it even comes to that.

If the US is remotely similar to what I had, common sense will show through, and you will have to go through the decision process (usually long and tedious), but you'l get there. Especially if you point out the latter of what you mentioned about the cops being called to the original claimant soon after, and you might even suggest he had a personal reason for doing so. I can say though, that I cannot blame him for being over protective as a dad in that regard. That would remain your personal choice to make that call, as only you know the personal circumstances to come to a direction you take. Be under no illusions though; it's your ass on the line, and fight like f**k to defend it.

As an ex-cop myself, I second Adiventure's post...assault in the UK is a technical crime, and you either did it with proof or you didn't, depending on the level. Regarding your 2nd post...heh, been there too. I apparently had PTSD because I shouted at the kids when they took the piss, because I served, and still am. Pisses me off that civvis think that you automatically suffer from it if you have been various places. I hear what you say in terms of slanderous accusations (malicious to me), as flighting them cost me $2k and stopped me deploying to Afgahnistan recently to fight it. Women get an easy ride when they decide to screw over who they are with for whatever reason, it's the same in any western country. You live and learn.

Keep the chin up, don't let it get you down, and keep fighting. If it's your first offence, the worst you'll get is a telling off and a fine.

Comment

Went to court and the judge allowed me to speak... told him pretty much what I said on the BB... I'm normally very soft spoken... especially in public but explained my case. "He was misbehaiving. I put him in time out... there was no intent to punish him other then to tell him his behaivor was unneceptible and make him stand and think about it." Yes there were marks, but it only shows the extent of Bob's aggravation at the time. When I heard the befrick of his shirt ripping I released the boy and allowed him to fall to the ground. That was pretty much the end of the altercation. After that I grabbed him and walked Bob to time out.
                          COP:"scratches were left from the shirt"
                          So If I had just grabbed him by the hair and walked him to time out there wouldn't be an issue.

Bob's mother has costody and the c'concered' father does not pay child support and has only recently been taking Bob for visitation and still speratically. On the day in question he was supposed to pick Bob up at noon but was a day late in picking up his son... the reson? He wanted to go out the night before. He didn't call his son until 2pm the next day. His reporting of the abuse was more for revenge then anything.

As for this getting out... havn't said anything here that I didn't say in open court and that is a part of public record. I googled my name and the arrest comes up... so whats the difference? People already know. Go again in a week and I'll have a public defender then and see what he says. I posted to get a gerneral consensouse... to see if I was going insane or if I'm just here because of an overzelouse prosecuter or because I have family in local government office. If it comes to it I hope that at least one person on the jury has a shred of common sense. There is a big differnce between using restaint and intentionally using force to cause harm.

Land lard =land lord :) sorry for the typos.

Comment

I'm not saying it was wrong to post, just that it goes against conventional advice, and you lose a bargaining chip of sort. Conventional legal wisdom is just to shut it until you are alone with your lawyer, don't talk to the police, don't talk to the judge, don't talk to the prosecutor, don't talk to your family, because until you do that (especially in a situation like this), they really don't have anything solid to try you with.

I personally had a similar experience, there was a family argument, and someone outside of it misinterpreted things and called the police. The police responded with equal parts stupidity (the report was so screwed up it would have been thrown out, including citing fictional participants and witnesses), arrogance, and racism (I lived in a very well off part of an already well off, almost entirely white town (I'm on the coffee side of golden brown)). I, as a minor was arrested, taken to the station, and held over night, despite the fact that the rest of the family, including the person I was supposedly fighting with, did not want that to happen. I was released the next day and went to court a little later (can't quite remember all the timing, it happened a while ago), which resulted in the DA being very aggressive and trying to try me for the harshest related crime, and my public defender getting me to agree to pre-trial probation, in effect I had to do community service and see a probation officer for a few months, and there is no record of my being charged.
                            Kinda depressingly that went about as well as it could, I had no serious "punishment" and it won't effect me in a legal sense, but it did certainly give me some negative feelings towards our justice system. No one involved wanted to press the case, but the DA decided to; my public defender was incompetent, any reasonable lawyer would have had the case dropped in the beginning; and the entire "crime" was misattributed, any "assault" was done on me, despite my behaving like a little $#[email protected] my only physical action was to defend myself against an over aggressive, older relative.

I don't know how it will work for you, going to jury seems like your only real option at this point, and hopefully they will see your situation positively, however as I said before, from what I can ascertain, in the eyes of the law you are guilty, and you have in effect admitted as much in the court. My guess is that your best bet is to hope the judge/jury is very friendly when it comes to sentencing, and not that you will get off free.

Once again though, check on a real legal forum and you are likely to get some better advice, or at least useful insight as to how your case will go. Best of luck, since it really does appear that you are in a nasty situation that you couldn't really avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by kidcashak47 View Post
                              if u lawyer up ur probaly guilty quote rom the town but it is always to have one on sand by
                              What? This is stupid. Never talk to cops. The judicial system is NOT Law & Order or CSI. If you get involved with the system, you get a damn lawyer immediately.

If you have not done anything: Have an attorney present.
                              If you have done something: Have an attorney present.
                              If you're accused: Have an attorney present.
                              If you're simply a witness: Have an attorney present.
                              If you have no idea: Have an attorney present.
                              If you want to be helpful and a good citizen: Have an attorney present.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X