Any EMT's here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any EMT's here?

I'm thinking of getting my EMT certification in the near future and was wondering if we had anyone here who has taken the course or is an EMT? Not sure if I want to work in the field but that might be an option. The ceritfication is not terribly expensive and is certainly good knowledge to have in my current job. I received my basic Adult and Child CPR from the Red Cross which is a requirement to enrolling in the EMT course. Granted I have not been to school in many years and don't come from a science background so I'm wondering if that would work to my determent. Also, there is a 2 1/2 month program or a two week. I'd be inclined to take the longer course as the two week seems like alot of information to absorb in that time frame?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Any EMT's here?

Both TurkishDelight and I are certified EMTs (dont know if there are any others at TG off the top of my head), but I havent actually been employed as an EMT in several years. From what I know, the test/course hasnt changed much. You dont need *much* of a science background, but you are going to need a basic-to-moderate knowledge of anatomy and physiology. I'd highly recommend taking the long course. It will give you more time to absorb the information and give you a chance to practice a bit. Rushing things is always bad, especially in the case of first responders considering you WILL be holding people's lives in your hands. Literally.

As for the job itself, the pay is ok, the hours are absolutely atrocious, and if you get a bad partner/rotation, you're going to want to strangle them constantly. However, it is one of the most rewarding jobs you can have. As an EMT, I pulled people from wrecks, delivered 2 babies, and helped countless people. Every time the call comes in, your adrenaline peaks. Its a rush, it really is. Just be careful, you have to balance it because it can eat you alive.

Overall, I'd say go for it. I'm sure turkish will tell you much of the same.

Comment

Alright I suppose I should give my $0.02 since I am a Paramedic right? lol

First of all, congrats on trying to better yourself by learning, and hopefully acquiring some new skills.

This is going to be the 7am "Just got off work"" version(one that makes not sense).

You are a looking at completing the EMT-Basic Certificate level training. This will introduce you the world of Pre-hospital Medicine, and allow you handle the first moments of common medical troubles. It's a very "Technical" role, and one that involves memorization of basic algorithms, and some technical proficiency. It is designed for the lay person to become a useful member of an emergency response, and not to become a useless bystander. I recommend that anyone who has the though of completing some basic training, do so.

About the course:

-EMT-B course is usually 120 hours.
      -Requries no science prereqs, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. Basic stuff like "Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any deviation of this is bad" will be probably sum up a lot of the physiology in it.
      -You will learn about the ABCs, Bleeding control, Splinting, Backboard/C-Collar, 02, and a few other NON-INVASIVE skills. If you are expecting to poke people with straw-sized needles, that is my job :D
      -It should be a lot of fun since you are learning about things that are new and novel. Studying should therefore be easy. I had a hard time putting the damn books down!

Working in EMS section:

This can be one of the best jobs in the world, or one of the worst. The Highs you have will be better than anything you have experienced, and the Lows will test your soul. You will see **** that people just don't understand...

Pay sucks, straight up. Don't expect to making anymore than that punk who screwed up your order at Taco Bell. Seriously...

In any reasonably busy system, most calls will be for people who neither require medical evaluation, or transportation via Ambulance. It's hard NOT to dislike people after some time

It's high stress to be new, seriously. Stress fades with experience, but a certain level still lingers.

You will be required to be superior to everyone else in that: You will eat, drink, use the restroom, sleep, and do everything else according to the systems needs.

As Ferris says, having a partner you don't like can make most normal things look like good weapons for homicide.

Positves to working in EMS

Sometimes the coolest job ever...

On, occasion your team may actually save a life, legitimately.

You impact people in the most sensitive times of their lives, and rare "Thank You"" goes a long way .

You will most likely never see your boss, oversight is limited compared to most jobs.

You will have life experiences that people, no matter what age, will never have the opportunity to.

Education Part:

If you are serious about working in EMS, Turkish recommends that you take University or College A&P for 2 semesters with Lab. Do this whenever you can. It will make you more of a Clinician, less of a technician, and knock out some Prereqs for Paramedic school if you so desire.

As an EMT-B you are trained like a robot. ABCs, DCAP-BTLS, PERRL, SAMPLE, WTFBBQZORZ(made that one up) are what you know. Try to understand the WHY in everything, and expand your knowledge. Every patient is an opportunity to learn something.

Take the longer course, it will allow you more time to become comfortable. Especially considering the pitiful amount of training hours. Also, sign up for as many clinicals as you can. Practice makes perfect.

This was more of an EMS rant than anything, but I am sure you will pick up useful points here and there. If you have specific questions, let me know.
      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Wow that was longer than expected! How about we just ask Turkish questions, and not allow him to ramble on like that :D
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I think you summed it up pretty good Turk.

I have enjoyed being an EMT! Although in the Army, my "EMT" skills allow me to do things that only Doctors can do ;)

I say go for it! The pay might suck at first, it might be long hours but you know what? There is always a demand for EMT's. So you can find work alot easier.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thanks for the insight fellas. I'm at least planning on reading the required textbook for the course and try to familiarize myself before I make the decision on taking the class. Again, this is something I've been thinking about accomplishing as it never hurts having the certification even if I don't plan on getting into the field.
            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Coming from a EMT, Turkish hit it on the nail. Long hours, variable pay, and the expectation that you are super human and can do anything from strangers.

I would recommend running with a local emergency squad or fire department more than you need to when you have to do precept hours in an ambulance. Try to run straight shifts in a busy area if possible and you'll soon learn some of the stress we go through which will give you a pretty good insight on if you want to do it or not.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Comment

Within the 31st Napoleon_Bownapardt and Mefbravo are both EMT's, Mef is a Firefighter/EMT in the Houston FD, I'll shoot them some PM's to post their take on it as well.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                  Thanks for the insight fellas. I'm at least planning on reading the required textbook for the course and try to familiarize myself before I make the decision on taking the class. Again, this is something I've been thinking about accomplishing as it never hurts having the certification even if I don't plan on getting into the field.
                  Have you considered being a firefighter as well? I just recently applied and was elected to be a volunteer fireman in the town I live in.
                  Even though I might have to take the basic ff 101 course, so far it has been awesome, I've met lots of new people and even though it is a very close knit community which will take sometime until I am really welcomed into the group, I have responded to some interesting calls (Gas leaks, CO2 detection, one car accident, general alarms and one guy testing his new system and deciding not to tell the alarm company about it), been able to get my gear on in under 3mins (I have to get it down to under 2mins with the scba), and have been having all around fun.

There are many guys who are both ff and EMTs, you might want to look into that as well. I know for a fact that the FDNY is actively recruiting for FF's and EMTs. - Age cutoff is 29 don't ask me why.

Keep us posted.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                    Have you considered being a firefighter as well? I just recently applied and was elected to be a volunteer fireman in the town I live in.
                    Even though I might have to take the basic ff 101 course, so far it has been awesome, I've met lots of new people and even though it is a very close knit community which will take sometime until I am really welcomed into the group, I have responded to some interesting calls (Gas leaks, CO2 detection, one car accident, general alarms and one guy testing his new system and deciding not to tell the alarm company about it), been able to get my gear on in under 3mins (I have to get it down to under 2mins with the scba), and have been having all around fun.

There are many guys who are both ff and EMTs, you might want to look into that as well. I know for a fact that the FDNY is actively recruiting for FF's and EMTs. - Age cutoff is 29 don't ask me why.

Keep us posted.
                    I've seriously thought of becoming a firefighter (was laid off from a going no where corporate job) and it's one of the reasons I've been looking into getting my EMT certification as it's a requirement of the Los Angeles Fire Department and all departments within Southern CA from the research I've done. One of the obstacles I'd be running into are budget cuts throughout the city (and departments nationwide) which have put a real crimp in hiring. Back in April I went to a LAFD recruitment seminar (went thru a trial CPAT test) and one of the things I came away with is that it wouldn't be at least until summer of '11 before the city decides on a budget for hiring. Secondly, given I'm 41, not sure my age and no previous history of valid experience is an impediment to being hired. There is not an age cap for the LAFD. Maybe the firefighter(s) here can shed some light on those points.
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Most EMS places will let you do a ride along if you give them a call. It would give you an idea if its up your alley or not.

edit: Am an EMT-B in Pittsburgh.
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of becoming an EMT as well. I've been a Red Cross Certified Lifeguard for the last several years, and frankly, It's a really boring job. I'm looking for something to give me that adrenaline rush. Although, being a college student, I'm not sure if I have time for it.

Comment

Pffff Firefighting! When do they ever get to run scenes?! When a dumpster catches on fire? They can have that! :P

Just kidding! :D

No really, can you carry that bag for me? BWAHAHAHAHA! Much love guys :)

Focus on college. You aren't going to get a 911 job(if your area hires basics for the sort of thing) while being in school. Never mind that starting out in EMS AND College= Uber Difficult.

Get your bachelors in something useful. I.E No BA in Facepainting, basket-weaving, philosophical-artistic-quantum-crap. Get something that will get you a job after you graduate. No need to be unemployed after all that hard work :D

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                          Most EMS places will let you do a ride along if you give them a call. It would give you an idea if its up your alley or not.
                          Also this ^^^
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post

Focus on college. You aren't going to get a 911 job(if your area hires basics for the sort of thing) while being in school. Never mind that starting out in EMS AND College= Uber Difficult.

Get your bachelors in something useful. I.E No BA in Facepainting, basket-weaving, philosophical-artistic-quantum-crap. Get something that will get you a job after you graduate. No need to be unemployed after all that hard work :D
                            My school has it's own ambulance/emergency response team that you can join. The training is offered free by the university. I'm not sure if I'll do it though. I'm trying to find internships.

As for the bachelors, I'm currently studying to get a degree in Systems Engineering, so hopefully that will pan out well in the future.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X