Bullet Spinning on Ice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Spinning on Ice

So what do you all think ? Could this really happen ?

http://gizmodo.com/5663836/the-incre...-bullet-on-ice

|

Re: Bullet Spinning on Ice

I don't see any reason to completely rule out the possibility of it happening. Physics is crazy.
    I do find it a bit odd though that they pulled the camera away before it stopped spinning, not that it would very hard to animate that if the whole thing is CG anyway.

Comment

There's a longer video which shows it happening twice. I see no reason why it couldn't happen. It's weird, but ice is pretty solid stuff and could easily stop a bullet. It has very little friction so the bullet could remain spinning for some time, just digging its tiny little hole. Plus, those bullets were round-tipped (whatever the correct terminology is), so that would make them even easier to spin, as long as they don't fall over - which the edges of the hole helped them with.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Mhh... Possible, yes.
        But what makes me a little suspicious is that there's absolutely no deformation on the bullet.
        sigpic

Comment

It seemed awfully energetic after its forward momentum was stopped.

The range safety in me wants to beat him about the head and neck with the safety paddles for walking around with a loaded weapon on ICE!!! Slip, fall and/or shoot (wounding or killing) himself, the cameraman or the friend. What part of safety doesn’t he get?

Comment

Originally posted by Vouk View Post
            Mhh... Possible, yes.
            But what makes me a little suspicious is that there's absolutely no deformation on the bullet.
            I agreed, it should have deformed.

|

Comment

Makes me wonder if they were shooting reduced reloads and/or solid core bullets.

Comment

Okay guys...watch the start very close. They zoom up on a different bullet hole. You may have to watch the start a couple of times.

Comment

Supposedly this has already been handed over to mythbusters to attempt a recreation. So we shall see if its a hoax or not.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                    There's a longer video which shows it happening twice. I see no reason why it couldn't happen. It's weird, but ice is pretty solid stuff and could easily stop a bullet. It has very little friction so the bullet could remain spinning for some time, just digging its tiny little hole. Plus, those bullets were round-tipped (whatever the correct terminology is), so that would make them even easier to spin, as long as they don't fall over - which the edges of the hole helped them with.
                    Perhaps if the camera didn't change directions it would be more believable. With all that spinning, and the presence of a third person, it seems to me like they're just planting them on the ground. CanadaKyle is also right, the camera zooms in a couple of inches below (rather, closer to the shooters) the bullet hole.

Comment

That's because the rounds are ricocheting and landing in a different area after the initial impact - which is why these videos are rather dangerous to attempt.

There are plenty of videos online showing this occurrence. Physics is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Canada2005 View Post
                        Okay guys...watch the start very close. They zoom up on a different bullet hole. You may have to watch the start a couple of times.
                        Thats what I saw. Bullet seems to be in a different place (by one or two feet) than from where the impact was.

Comment

Seriously. Stop the "it's a different hole!" stuff and go to Youtube and type in "spinning bullet in ice". You'll get the full video of this clip, plus other videos from other users.

Comment

The spin is independent to the velocity of the bullet, so stopping the bullet just right without destroying it could allow you to have a still spinning bullet. Since ice is "slippery" with the bullet being warm from the gun, there would be reduced friction in the ice since it would would melt around the bullet as it spun.

As to how these guys are shooting ice without destroying the bullet is beyond me.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                              As to how these guys are shooting ice without destroying the bullet is beyond me.
                              adamantium bullets, obviously. sheesh. :icon26:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X