Enlisting Soon - Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting Soon - Advice

Hey, |TG|. I'm going to enlist in the next few months and I'm interested in hearing what advice the community can give me, seeing as a good number of you have experience in the armed forces.

My reasons are pretty standard. There are no jobs in the area, not enough saved to move out, not enough saved for college(I've done one year), I admire the military and my family has a long history in it.

I haven't decided on a branch yet, but it is unlikely I would make it in the USMC or Army, due to my light frame(5'10", 140lbs). I like the sound of the Navy, as I like to travel and seeing family isn't an issue for me.
    Also, I'd like to focus in computers, as it is my primary skill.

So, what should I expect? //Echo

Re: Enlisting Soon - Advice

Seen plenty of skinny folk in the Marines/Army.

Comment

im not in the army, but from friends who have joined i'd recommend looking on the website of whatever branch your looking at and seeing if there's a fitness plan. then try doing it. having a good bit of fitness before selection would help alot I'd imagine

Comment

My advice is not to. A cousin of mine was shipped out to iraq and came back kinda loony.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

Air Force!

There are plenty of computer-related jobs in the AF (fly and fight in air, space, and cyberspace after all). Cyber Operations is a new AFSC they created in 2009 that may interest you. As far as deployment goes, I doubt they're going to send an IT guy out on patrol but still be prepared to go wherever they need you.

Have you thought about ROTC? Air Force/Navy ROTC won't pay for all of your schooling (if any, scholarships are actually very competitive nowadays) but Army will still pay your full tuition.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

i dont know you at all. that being said... because you are asking for advice i will give it to you.

I (being in the Army, and more specifically a parachute infantryman in the 82ABN) would, if i had to do it all over again, go Air Force. That being said im a technically minded person and like engineering and computers etc and am pretty good at it etc etc. thats what i would do.

perhaps the grass is always greener....
            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

I'm US Army light infantry.....my body hurts. Haha thats all I will say.

Comment

Don't worry about your weight and height. I weighed 123 lbs at just under 6 ft tall when I went to basic. Spent 3 weeks in the fat farm (yeah.....where they normally send the guys that weigh too much to go to basic) and put on about 18 lbs. Whatever you do though, make sure you go into an MOS that will transfer over to civilian life. I was a stinger missile gunner and there is not much of a job market for it. However, I did get to shoot 2 live missiles which is 2 more than 99% of people get to do, even in that MOS ;) . If you want to tell cool stories, go combat arms, if you want to get the most out of your time in service, get something that applies to civilian life.
                |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

I'd say Marines. They're career advancement is great. Plus, you're less likely to get stuck in a cubicle like so many AF folks. That being said, I was C-5 Loadmaster in the AF for 6 years and effin' loved it. I'd only go back into the AF if I was aircrew or special forces, both of which can be extremely difficult to get into. If you want to go aircrew, the Marines will be much more helpful in guiding you down that path. This is at least the advice of many marines I've served alongside, and vets I hang out with.

However, be prepared for the lowest living conditions of all the branches, but at least you can get stationed at some nice locales, i.e. San Diego, Okinawa, etc.

Best of luck to you, and my hat goes off to you for wanting to enlist. It was the best thing I've ever done in my entire life, and I have no regrets. Just be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. It's really all about perspective. Most of the folks who I knew that were miserable just had the wrong attitude to begin with. Go in for the purpose of serving your country, and not the perks. Then the pay and perks just seem that much sweeter when your heart's in it to begin with.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

No matter what branch you get into just remember that during Basic its all a game.

Dont take the abuse seriously, do what you got to do and give yourself things to look forward to.

Like "ok this is my 200th push up today, but for breakfast were having pancakes!"

That's the best advice you could get.
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Rule One to remember is Recruiters LIE. Their job and career is to get warm bodies into their service. A hundred meet and greets (schools, fairs, job fairs, malls, etc…), gets twenty referrals, gets two enlistments, gets one trained service member reporting to their duty station.

Rule Two is shop around. There are five services to choose from: Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard and reserves for each plus the National Guard for Army and Air Force. Shop around and see what each branch is offering for jobs and bonuses (remember rule one – recruiters sometimes have a quotas for fill). Most reserve units will allow prospective recruits to visit on a drill to see what they do and talk to the members. Military skills that reserves do are basically the same as their active duty counterparts.

Rule Three verbal promises are useless. If it’s not written as a guarantee in your contract, don’t count on it being honored. If the recruiter tries the pressure sell (i.e. this deal is only good for the next 10 minutes), walk away unless you like lighting boilers, painting rocks or burning honey pots. If it sounds too good to be true then someone is blowing smoke. Try another recruiter or another service (if the recruiters are all grouped in the same building go elsewhere). Bring a friend (or sibling or parental unit or family/friend) preferably with prior service to protect you from yourself.

Rule Four the Contract. Read (before you sign) it like your life for the next eight years depends on it. Signing an enlistment contract obligates a statutory eight-year military service obligation: Active Duty, possible Drilling Reserve and the rest Inactive Reserve. Make sure what you were promised is in the contract: specialties, schools, bonuses, rank, duty stations, etc… and what your options are if they are not honored. Sometimes you have the option to get out if the service violates the contract. Make sure you know. Many contracts have secondary and alternate specialties – make sure you get to pick with schools, bonuses, rank, duty stations, etc… or you will find yourself at the needs of the service and they pick: lighting boilers, painting rocks or burning honey pots.

They run a law enforcement check so be truthful in your detailed history: have ever been arrested (sealed records included), most traffic tickets, any drug use. Some specialties require FBI background investigations for security clearances so lying, omitting or having an outstanding warrant are bad things.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo-48 View Post
                        Hey, |TG|. I'm going to enlist in the next few months....
                        DONT DO IT!!!!!! Lol. J/K. I would go Army man. Unlike with the Marines, you actually get to pick your job. Marine Corp you make a list of a couple jobs you would like to do, and they pick one for you. (may have changed recently but my buddy who went in 6 years ago told me about it) I have done the Army thing for almost 10 years now and I still love it. As long as you find a job you enjoy doing, you will have the time of your life.

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
                        My advice is not to. A cousin of mine was shipped out to iraq and came back kinda loony.
                        Everyone reacts differently do the stressors of combat. However, having been down range twice as an Infantry Medic I can say that some people see things that just stick with them.

What was your cousins job if you dont mind my asking? (sorry to steal the thread)

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                        I (being in the Army, and more specifically a parachute infantryman in the 82ABN)
                        Well....that explains everything now. Had I known you were in "Alcoholics Anonymous" sooner I would have stopped shooting you in MoH ;)

Originally posted by Jakaleel View Post
                        Rule One to remember is Recruiters LIE.
                        Rule Three verbal promises are useless. Rule Four the Contract

Just wanted to emphasize those points. Only believe what you see written on paper man. If you start working your contract and its not what you want do what I did, get up and leave. They tried to tell me I need to be in Intel, I said hell no, got up from the desk and walked away. I went outside to smoke and my recruiter came running out and said "A slot for the job I want just opened, but I have to go quick cause it might fill up".........../rollseyes. SUUURE it did ;) Make sure you get what YOU want not what THEY want. Its your career man. Set yourself up for success early.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                          Well....that explains everything now. Had I known you were in "Alcoholics Anonymous" sooner I would have stopped shooting you in MoH ;)
                          LOL thanks dredge.
                          -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

I would say... don't.

If you're sure then think it over. Take your time and carefully think it over. You have to realize what you're getting into, what you might do, what might happen to you. It's not just another job...
                            I would also think about politics. Does my country use it's military the right way? Am I going to do something GOOD or am I just going to be - sorry for the harsh words - cannonfodder for some stupid reasons which don't benefit the people but rather the politicians themself?

Just be careful, think about it and good luck whatever you'll do :]
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X