BSOD issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD issues

I have been having BSODs for about a week and a half. Most of the time it is stop 7A, but I have had stop 77 as well. Sometimes it is once or twice a day, others it happens 3-4 times in maybe two hours until I just stop playing. Any ideas would be helpful.

RAM : 4 x 512MB
    Audio: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi platinum (or whatever 1337 name they gave it)
    Graphics: 8800 gts 512
    CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2600 MHz (13 x 200) 5200+

I have tested my 2 HDDs (ran chkdsk and a WD drive utility), tested my RAM (I may test it again for longer), flashed my Mb to the latest BIOS version, run with only my boot drive, changed sata cables, cleaned out my audio and video drivers, and then installed the latest audio and video drivers available. Oh, I have also turned off page filing on my boot drive. Nothing has worked. My computer only seems to crash when I am playing games. It is just fine when I am doing normal school stuff or leave it on over night. I am pretty sure I changed nothing software wise to start this, and did not change any hardware. It is possible that my graphics card is messed up as I sometimes play graphics intensive games and forget to run Rivatuner to increase the fan speed (since nVidia makes crappy cards that melt themselves before they increase the fan speed). When I do this, I play for a little while and the card overheats, artifacts cover the screen, and then the computer freezes (not the BSOD) and I have to manually restart the computer.

I have done hours of research and I am stuck. I have done everything I could think of except throw money at it. The only ideas I have now are to buy a new hard drive and run a fresh install on that, remove my audio card and run on onboard sound to see if that works, buy a need graphics card and try that, or some combination. I don't really want to spend any money if it isn't necessary. Any ideas would be helpful.

PS: I may try a CPU test and a general computer stability/stress test. Also, since I updated my drivers, Silverlight freezes my computer when I watch Netflix movies fullscreen. I had this issue before but can't remember what I did, if anything, to get it to stop. It is a seperate issue from the BSODs.
    Viking

Re: BSOD issues

Do you know what your CPU core temps are when you're gaming?

What's powering this rig? PSU brand, model, power output?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll have to check my cpu temps.

PSU is meh. I believe it is an Apeva 1000W I got for relatively cheap that went with the case. I was on a budget and it was my first build. Power may be the issue though. I have a really lousy wiring in my apartment and I am looking into buying a voltage regulator. Hopefully it isn't too late and I have an issue with CPU or MB.
      Viking

Comment

Check your motherboard for bulging capacitors or other signs of degradation.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

This would be my answer. ^_^

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm pegging the issues to be hardware related right now.

Although the 8800 GTS (if that is the old first generation card) did have an issue where the GPU was defective if I remember correctly and it would fail abruptly after a while. I would think most people who had the 1st gen GTS cards had replaced them already.

As for the GPU fan spinning up, since I think the 96.xx series of drivers, that issue was fixed. If your card's overheating then either the stock HSF setup isn't cutting it, you have too much dust on it, you have a serious lack of airflow in your case, or some combination of the three.

@War...

Yeah yeah. Someone's always suggesting a complete OS overhaul as the solution to every darn problem in the book. (Even though it's more trouble.)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Viking are you by any chance in PR when these happen?

Comment

Viking if it's PR it was happening to me before I dropped textures to medium, the last release is very buggy in places. I have an almost brand new and pretty powerful rig (I5-750 at 3.85, HD5870 etc). Try the textures, if it's not PR related then forget I said anything.

Comment

-It is in PR. I have reduce all setting to medium with x4 AA just today. I played for a couple hours and had no crash, but it happens at varying times. I don't think it is this new release as I had it happen a couple times before the patch (although not with nearly the same frequency). Could you explain a little more about the PR relation Wickens and Jeepo? I think it may have crashed once while I was playing EVE but I am not sure.

-The fan speed on my card doesn't change at all unless I change it. I am going to clean out my case and cards probably within the month as they are starting to collect some dust. Right now I am running with the side off as I thought heating might be an issue. Since then dust has been collecting a bit quicker (or maybe I am just noticing it more). I am going to start increasing the fan speed on the graphics card when playing PR to see if that helps at all. Is there a way to test the ram on the graphics card?
                  Viking

Comment

No idea what causes it in PR but my new rig has never bsod'd at any other time. Once you've cleaned the fans put the side of your case back on. Leaving it off can actually increase temps as it prevents the air cooling working as it is intended.

If its not PR then, as wiser men than me have stated, start looking at things like your psu etc, apparently one of the most common failures.

Comment

Its PR. My new rig is less than 2 months old, and it has BSOD'ed twice on the new PR already, and never at any other time. There is a patch in the works, so sadly just cross the fingers and hope!

Comment

Well if it needs a patch, then I guess we'd have to wait on the PR dev team to release it and for Viking to patch his game before taking any other drastic measures (like replacing hardware components).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Once I get home, I should be able to get some old parts to swap out. I check my MB and it seems to be fine. I am starting to think it may be my graphics card. Perhaps some of the memory on that is bad.
                          Viking

Comment

I would recommend you wait, it will be a week or two I imagine before we see a patch at least, but worth waiting to save a huge headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Well if it needs a patch, then I guess we'd have to wait on the PR dev team to release it and for Viking to patch his game before taking any other drastic measures (like replacing hardware components).
                              Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                              I would recommend you wait, it will be a week or two I imagine before we see a patch at least, but worth waiting to save a huge headache.
                              Wait Viking, just wait. Don't go swapping out parts yet. Wait until you can apply that PR patch that's in development.

If the patch doesn't work, then start with the hardware.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X