Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Windows Transfer" to keep my stuff, but get clean install of Win7..? Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Windows Transfer" to keep my stuff, but get clean install of Win7..? Anyone?

Ok, so now I have a win7 disk, and it is time to make the jump for myself to win7 on my gaming rig.

I read where this "Windows Transfer" thing will kkep me from having to spend WEEKS trying to get my box back up to speed with patches, updates etc.. for all my installed games, so this of course sounds awesome, right? But does it work? Anyone tried it?

According to the little booklet that came with my win7 upgrade disk, you plug in a USB backup drive and just run "Windows Transfer" from the upgrade disk from within windows, and **poof** it will reformat the drive, put win 7 on the PC, and then restore the data to your programs, how it knows which ones I want, I have no idea, and then it says you must re-install the programs afterwards.

So does it allow me to pick which programs? And if I have to re-install them afterwards, I guess it does not over-write any data already in the folders?

It seems like voodoo to me, as I have little trust in MS, but I never expected win7 to be so awesome and easy either, so I am thinking it is worth the try..

What do you guys think?:row__689:

Re: "Windows Transfer" to keep my stuff, but get clean install of Win7..? Anyone?

I have no experience with this but by the sounds of it, it will pack up all the program data and all your files and such. Then you have to install all the applications yourself and then those applications will have all the data avaliable to use however I am almost certain that you will still find yourself patching everything anyway... Personally I would just back up all your files, docs, pics, vids, GAME SAVES! FOR GODS SAKE DONT FORGET THOSE! and any install files and patches you need. then format the drive install windows and begin the 2-3 day process of getting everything installed and patched again. Now is also the best time to tidy those messy photo albums and organise all those documents if they are messy ;) Besides half the reason for a nice fresh install is to clean all that crap out you had in the first place! Dont want to bring it all back now :(

Comment

Re: "Windows Transfer" to keep my stuff, but get clean install of Win7..? Anyone?

I have not used that feature, but I would not put any trust in it, I mean if windows will not even recognise that I have just plugged in a headset into the front port and change the speaker config to stereo, then what hope is there.

You could be brave and go for it then report back here on how it went? ;)
      Last edited by MrMojay; 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Birdie, what you're thinking of is a disk imaging tool (like the old Norton Ghost). This "feature" doesn't even come close. It'll basically make a backup of your programs and data, you install the new OS, and it moves everything back. Often times programs become broken or simply lock up your system because of a missing patch or other incompatibility. You'd still have to reinstall (or uninstall) some and patch the rest.

What I would do is:
        1) Backup your data and programs.
        2) Install a fresh copy of Win7
        3) Install your programs, update everything.
        4) Install a imaging tool (like Acronis True Image) and create a image file of your entire disk.
        -- This will then allow you to reformat your drive and restore the disk image and still have everything up to the point you created the image (in case of crashes and whatnot).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well..I was not brave enough to try this over the past weekend. I wussed out and just started pulling everything off and putting it on a USB drive..

I thought I would give it a try, but am not able to put any faith in MS even though Win7 seems like such a great OS...

Comment

Don't do it, just spend the extra time to get the software you need back on. Why?

1. 32-bit to 64-bit migration. If you are moving up from XP or 32-bit Vista, the programs you will run (assuming you bought 64-bit win7) won't be optimized for a 64-bit architecture. Not a huge deal, but you might as well address it if you're doing a clean install.
            2. Re-examine software. Do you really want to keep all the software you already have? Transitioning to a new OS can be a good time to look critically at if you have redundant software or programs you never use.
            3. Built-in update. Re-downloading new files off the internet will be like patching backed up programs. It saves...
            4. Time. Backing up software can be very time-consuming if you're using USB 2.0. (exception would be using an ethernet connection to backup programs to a network location.)

Comment

It's not saving you from patching your programs. You said in the OP that you still have to re-install your programs, which includes your games.

What this does is capture your user profile, which contains things like your email, your browser bookmarks and other settings, and anything else that programs store in \Users and \Documents and Settings. (That includes your personal part of the registry, but not the shared part of the registry.)

This does NOT back up your data that old programs store in their own directories. Most games assume the computer is single-user and store all their data in the game's directory, not in the user's profile. So you're gonna have to go dig that stuff out on your own, because the Transfer program isn't gonna know which programs continue this practice.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Here's what I suggest (and what I do):

Buy a brand new internal drive to install Win7 on. Make it big enough for anything you're gonna use day-to-day for the next couple of years.

Remove your old hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. Stick it on the shelf for now. If you have any trouble with the new OS, you can always put this drive back in and go back to what you had before.

Install Win7 on the new drive and get it tweaked out the way you want it. Re-install your programs.

Plug in your old drive as a USB external and copy over any settings you need from it.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I wish I could do that with the old "drive"..

The problem there is that it is several drives in RAID0..

but I was thinking, that maybe I just put a new drive in and tell the PC to boot that one first, then have the RAID as a backup until such a time as I know everything is backed up and all is working etc...

I hate not having multiple drives for the OS and "main" progies, but I am sure I will live with it..I will just make an image and burn it and hope I never need it..

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Apart from all the media... 90% of the stuff on the average computer is totally useless crap x]

So... just sort it out, backup what you really NEED and can't find and download in 5 seconds.
                      If there are things you don't neccessarily have to backup and are easy to find on the web, just write em down.

(And yeah... Win7 kicks ass ;))
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...