Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead_Meats New Computer Build

Hello folks,

I'm about to build a new computer and yall have been a big help with my last one so i thought i'd post the new one here again.
    This is mainly going to be computer for running AutoCAD and Navis works, and dealing with large 3d models.

here are the parts i'm looking at, any tips or critique's will be appreciated.

Case
    COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119213

Mobo
    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131631

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103849

Ram
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

HD
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533

Blu-Ray
    LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136181

OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

Video i'm torn right now between cad and gaming Also i like multiple monitors with CAD i run 2 now but am thinking of trying 3 or 4 i have Had a 4870 that ran cad pretty well though

option 1 (CAD option)
    ATI 100-505562 FirePro V7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Graphics Accelerator - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195084

Option 2 (2x crossfired which i haven't done yet)
    SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

Re: Dead_Meats New Computer Build

You should consider a good aftermarket CPU cooler for that hexacore CPU. Rendering (especially if you're going to be rendering HQ animations with high poly models and multipoint lighting) is going to tax that CPU and all six cores. In other words, if the room isn't air conditioned, that chip is gonna heat up fast in a warm room (that's going to get warmer).

Is the BR drive really necessary for a AutoCAD/Modeling workstation?

As for video cards, I'd go fro the FirePro over the CF HD6850 if you can afford it. Nothing beats a workstation graphics solution, not even a high-end gaming card (they lack some features or have reduced features in some areas).

Otherwise the build looks good.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

HAF 932 is $10 cheaper at Frys.com....click here.

Comment

And even $10 cheaper than Frys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPUQAE

Comment

Yes, video rendering will push cpu chip temps to 60C, even with a corsair h50 (which is a good cooler).
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the imput
            I think I will add this CPU cooler
            COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103089

yes on the BR drive, the br disc will hold 50GB of info great for turning over files at the end of a job

Comment

My friend was heavily involved with Photoshop work and opted to got with a single GTX 480 over an SLI solution because Photoshop CS5 didn't support multi-GPU solutions. Make sure both Navis and Autocad will take advantage of your multi-GPU setup.

Other than that I would say that IMO Samsung drives are more reliable than WD drives. Finally, if you're going to be using this pc for more professional purposes, I'm not sure the Haf932 really reflects that. Airflow isn't always the trump card. If I were you, I'd look into a Lian-Li or Silverstone chassis that looks more conservative. If that doesn't work, Antec's Sonata line-up looks pretty classy as well.

Comment

+1 on leon's post. his words are wise :D

Comment

Originally posted by leon View Post
                  Other than that I would say that IMO Samsung drives are more reliable than WD drives. Finally, if you're going to be using this pc for more professional purposes, I'm not sure the Haf932 really reflects that. Airflow isn't always the trump card. If I were you, I'd look into a Lian-Li or Silverstone chassis that looks more conservative. If that doesn't work, Antec's Sonata line-up looks pretty classy as well.
                  Read that article in full instead of just looking at the statistics (which only cover a very small portion of the Russian market). Also keep in mind reported failure rate volumes will rise and fall proportionately with the sheer number of drives each brand sells.

So given Seagate has a 51% reported failure rate in that small sample, it probably also sells the most number of drives, hence the higher reporting of failures (apply the same to WD, Samsung, etc). Also keep in mind that they don't mention what Storelab considers as parameters for "failures". So that dataset could also be very skewed and not accurate.

In other words, don't read just that small portion and conclude that Leon or the general saying that "Brand X drives are more reliable than Brand Y" drives without some prior proof of these claims. Keeping your drives cool and secured in a vibration free mount will go a long way to making sure it lasts for years to come.

Not dropping it also helps a lot.

I'll also say this from my experiences:

In the so many years I've been building my rigs, I've gone through various brands (Seagate, WD, Samsung, Hitachi, IBM, Toshiba, etc). In the end, all of them have their problems or quirks given time.

Seagate used to be my primary "to buy" drive given I never had one fail on me (until recently). I still have faith in them, just not any 7200.11 drive produced within the past 1.5 years. The 7200.12s don't have the clicking problem.

WD back when was garbage due to high failure rates on their consumer drives (Caviar line and up). As far as I know, that's no longer the case (I've also got 4 of them in use in 4 builds).

My old Samsung was whisper quite and fast years ago and now whines and vibrates like a old dying horse (hasn't failed yet, but sure sounds like it will soon).

The Hitachi Deskstar (yes they took over from IBM) is still going strong in my dad's rig. Unfortunately, it's also the hottest hard drive in the whole house (typically 38-42 C - 5-8 C higher than any other HDD I have in current functioning builds).

IBM stopped making their Deskstars (also referred to as Deathstars because of their proported failure rates due to a high-pitched whine in early 1st/2nd generation drives).

Toshiba doesn't even make a dent in the HDD market and aside from one in my mom's rig and one in a PMP, I have not used them in any other rigs. No problems with the two, just that they run hot like the Hitachis. Pretty slow too, but hey, what do you expect with a brand that has what amounts to 1% total market share?
                  Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That wasn't my intention and I'm not simply going off the report. I've actually used the same Caviar Blacks 1TB model that you're thinking about getting. Compared to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, it's much louder (. I'm not sure about the performance delta between them but for me, the sound of an irritating HDD can't be ignored.

This might float your boat. It's from a while back.

Comment

crossfire and SLi are not supported in ACAD, as far as i know. this might make the second card useless to you.

why not get a 480 GTX and call it a day? ive heard that the drivers work for it anyway. you should google that though. it also solves your gaming/multi monitor solution. the biggest plus is that it solves the crossfire/sli problem. I say that because it can be a pain in the a to get either one working correctly. (thats from personal experience GTX 275s)

enjoy!
                      -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by leon View Post
                        That wasn't my intention and I'm not simply going off the report. I've actually used the same Caviar Blacks 1TB model that you're thinking about getting. Compared to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, it's much louder (. I'm not sure about the performance delta between them but for me, the sound of an irritating HDD can't be ignored.

This might float your boat. It's from a while back.
                        Hmm, weird. I barely hear a peep out of the 1 TB Caviar Black I have in the living room HTPC. Does your case have anti-vibration mounts/silicone for the hard drive bay rack?

Usually if it's just bare aluminum or steel, any vibrations tend to be amplified and those sounds bounce like crazy inside such cases.

Originally posted by glycerin
                        why not get a 480 GTX and call it a day?
                        Probably because he doesn't want to deal with the fan whine or the extra heat that comes with a GTX480 (it's like a mini furnace).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No, the sound was coming from inside the hard drive. I decided to ditch the Caviar Black for an OCZ Vertex SSD. I only have an eighth of what I used to, but it's quick & cool.

You could also wait for the Nvidia refresh of the GTX 480, the GTX 580, to come out. It's supposed to be based off the same design of the GTX 480 but implementing Nvidia's GF106 GPU (the one inside the GTX 460) instead of the GF100. The only con would be time though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X