Yet another problem (no bootup)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another problem (no bootup)

Ok. I plug my computer in, attempt to start it up, and I see the lights and fan come on, but it immediatly turns back off.
    Check the power cable.
    Check all connections.
    Could this be a PSU problem?

Re: Yet another problem (no bootup)

trashed cpu..... especially if its amd.

sorry.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

actually, i think it is the PSU. I looked through it, and all symtoms point towards a PSU failure (it was a generic 30 buck PSU)

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
        trashed cpu..... especially if its amd.

sorry.
        What?! Why would you say that?
        DdogG = Intel fan?
        Maybe in the K6/2 days AMD was prone to burnout but this is now. Two dead K6/2 500's on my shelf admit that.
        Since then I've had an AMD 1600+, 2000+, 2500+, 2600+ and a 3200+ .... and I still have them all... and they all run beautifully.
        I now have an AMD XP64 4000+ with the 90nm San Diego core.
        AMD may not have "market share" but they rule the bang-for-the-buck market and dominate the gamer market.
        I'm not normally a fanboy but when it comes to AMD versus Intel - AMD all the way baby!

Wanna run for pink slips? hehe ;)

/soapbox

Yeah, a crappy $30 p/s would be the first thing I looked at.
        Get some decent power and see where you stand.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

I am figuring it is that, because when my comp was destroyed the 1st time a while ago, it turned out the PSU had literally melted components in my PC, like the mobo and the CPU.

I know it isn't the CPU because I can't access the bios, and even without a CPU I should be able to atleast access the bios of the mobo itself. That's kind of how I figured it wasn't the CPU.

Comment

most of the time, if your CPU, Ram, Or video card is fubar you'll post and get beep errors. If it's not powering up for crap, PSU problem all the way.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
              most of the time, if your CPU, Ram, Or video card is fubar you'll post and get beep errors. If it's not powering up for crap, PSU problem all the way.
              Ya, what he said, lemme just say i building a computer(6 Weeks into it) and so far ive run accross many problems. And this was one of them... Sorta... Okay thats a lie, but still he's right.

Dont worrie about the CPU untill to can 100% without a doubt say its the CPU, dont come to assumtions, they lead me to only 1gig of ram, instead of the 2 i bought.
              Oyee

Comment

ok, 1st, I hate intel... and use nothing but AMD unless I have to use otherwise...

2nd, I have crushed, cracked, fried, or otherwise broke 20+ AMD cpu's... or have gotten a computer that the owner did..... needless to say, I have thrown away a lot of AMD athlon and duron CPU's.

of those, more than half would power up and not post, or would power up for a split second and power down again. usually the ones that powered up and right back down had a crushed corner. I had 4 that did that.

As for the thing "at least getting into bios" without a cpu...... a computer will not boot in any way, shape, form or fashion without cpu and mem. will not happen. sorry, your logic is flawed.

I am willing to concede that it might be the ps or the mobo (if the mobo got knicked along a path or is shorting out somewhere, or otherwise damaged, it could easily do this) or if the ps is not giving enough volts on one of the rails, then the mobo will do that to protect the system, but I have just seen too many cpus be the issue to not make that my first place to look.... plus, it is the most fragile part of the system, being too rough installing the hsf, and your out 100.00.

look at that cpu real close, and if the actual core does not have razor sharp edge on all four sides corner to corner.... then it is probably the culprit. otherwise..... look at the mobo real close too..... if you have recently installed or messed with either of these lately, there is a chance that they were damaged in some way.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I could see this being a problem if he JUST installed a new heatsink or something....
                  I place my bets on PSU or Video card.

I'm with the Scoop....AMD all the way.

Comment

I don't think it would be my radeon at all, as it has always performed perfectly for me with no troubles whatsoever, however, I have had 2 power supplies go bad on me, and the one in it is the same kind (cheap 30 buck generic ones... cant afford bigger ones :P)

If the CPU was broken, I would atleast get power with the machine. The lights wouldn't just half-turn and everything go dead... I've done that before with my cpu out and it did turn on. I'm certain it's the power supply.

Comment

Wait... I have a Duron 800 too.
                      OCd to 856 for more than a couple of years.
                      Still running last I checked...

Lotsa CPUs = lotsa stories.

Get some new power and let's see what the deal is.
                      ;)

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Take out the video card and see if the mobo beeps with a video error. That might narrow it down to a PSU not giving out enough juice.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper
                          Ok. I plug my computer in, attempt to start it up, and I see the lights and fan come on, but it immediatly turns back off.
                          Check the power cable.
                          Check all connections.
                          Could this be a PSU problem?
                          I had the same thing happen to me on a system I built 6mos ago. When I went to install MS go do the first boot and install winxp and the farkin thing would just turn off
                          Warcriminal
                          chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Comment

You really shouldn't be using a cheap generic PSU anyway. As you know a faulty PSU can wreck your whole computer. So even if the PSU isn't the problem if you have the funds I would upgrade it.

Comment

Well... i'm on a new PSU now. It actually pushes a true constant 330 now, and my PC seems very stable. Later on, I am going to try to put my dead hard drives in and see if it was mearly a power problem, but I doubt it... but worth a try though. Thanks :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X