Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two part question antivirus vs. security suite AND which one do you recommend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two part question antivirus vs. security suite AND which one do you recommend?

A couple of years ago I did away with "security suites" in favor of antivirus because they became so cumbersome and were such a pain to setup correctly for gameplay use. I have a firewall built in to my router so I simply bought Eset for my AV and I have had no issues. So question one is, should I continue down that road of antivirus only or should I get a security suite?
    Once that is decided, which brand should I get? I used to be a big Norton's fan until they became so bloated they looked like the fat guy that ate one too many mints on Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life." I know there are a ton of free ones out there, but I do not mind paying for one considering how important it is. I do want one that is light on resourses, but good at finding viruses in the wild. I have been looking around and it seems that Eset NOD 32 and Kaspersky seem to fit those needs pretty well. Any opinions?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Two part question antivirus vs. security suite AND which one do you recommend?

NOD32 and Kaspersky would be the ones I'd recommend as well.

As for firewall/suites. I did away with both last year for the same reasons you did away with the suites. I now use the SPI firewall on my router coupled with Anti-Vir AV and Windows Firewall (and Windows Defender). I haven't caught anything at all since.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Re: Two part question antivirus vs. security suite AND which one do you recommend?

windows built in firewall is decent enough. I use avira now... AVG used to be the go to, but it got bloated and lazy... until something better comes along, free, fast, and accurate win....
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

In my experience with computers and repairing other people's PCs, you don't need to really go overboard on the security suites. There are 5 main contentions that if you fulfill, should keep your PC humming along happily for many years.

1. Good Habits - Self-Explanatory
        2. Updates - Windows & Software Updates
        3. Security - Microsoft Security Essentials
        4. Firewall - Windows Firewall
        5. Maintenance - CCleaner

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on over a dozen computers. This option made my Microsoft does a great job of running in the background, detecting threats, as well as having a free price tag. There is also an investigation by AV Test, a leading security research group from Germany.

Windows Firewall is underrated. Sure, you might not trust it if you have classified data from the CIA, but for most users it works fine. Lastly, I also use Piriform's CCleaner to clean registry issues and old files off of my system from time to time.

Comment

The problem with Windows Firewall is that it only detects inbound threats, that is, other computers trying to probe you. It doesn't catch attempts by programs on your computer to make contact with the outside. So if you get an "infection", even if it's just an over-zealous legitimate program trying to give your secrets away, WF won't see that.

I run the firewall that comes with AVG, but I'm sure those from other AV vendors work similarly. It asks me each time a new program wants to connect to the Internet, and remembers my choice of whether it's ok or not. After awhile, the programs that have legimate reason to connect out are in its memory and I can forget about it. I only have to answer the question again if I install something new. Or if I get infected. (In which case, I WANT to know about it!)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials helped my moms computer run SO much better than when she was using Norton. I've made the switch on both of my computers. Seems to run so much more stealthy, and seems better on system resources. I love that it's free, too.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by leon View Post
              1. Good Habits - Self-Explanatory
              2. Updates - Windows & Software Updates
              4. Firewall - Windows Firewall
              Ive used AVG Free (lightened install) and Windows Firewall (win7x64) and haven't caught anything since i installed win7 almost a year ago. safe browsing habits FTW. Scans about once a week, no scheduling. That includes utorrent usage (and all the searching that comes with that) as well as No CDs for the games I play regular (all purchased, fyi).
              -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X