Help: Setting up a wifi hotspot with a laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Setting up a wifi hotspot with a laptop

Guys, I have run into a problem with setting up a wifi hotspot with a laptop.

The Situation: friend wants to use his Wii in his dorm, but dorm rules prevent us from using wireless routers.

My Suggested Solution: turn his laptop into a wireless hotspot by making his laptop's wifi card create a type of gateway connection so his wii can connect through the laptop, which is connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable.

Now, I am not sure how to go about this. I have had problems doing similar set ups, but in those cases I have either used a USB wifi card or I have run the set up with a wired connection between computers.

I have found a link that I believe will work for his laptop that runs XP. My problem is that I cannot be certain that the process is the same since I have windows 7 and not XP installed on my computers, and my friend is now going to school elsewhere...

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals...3/8508803d.htm

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Help: Setting up a wifi hotspot with a laptop

If only this was a perfect world... Most PC companies try to cut costs by picking parts with bare bones features. What I mean by that is the fact not all wireless cards support receiving as well as acting as an access point. Even ad-hoc networks won't work because your PC needs to be simultaneously connected to a wii and internet. You have a few alternatives:

1. Run Cat5e/Cat6 under a rug to his wii.
    2. Sneak a router into your dorm and create a wireless network with a hidden SSID.
    3. Get a USB wireless card or manually upgrade your laptop's internal card to one that supports simultaneous, dual connections.
    4. Place your laptop next to his wii and using a cross-fire cable to transmit data via an ethernet connection while using your wireless card to connect to your school's wireless network. Then, open up the network adapters window and 'bridge' these two connections so they transmit data to each other. You might have to change IP settings.
    5. Saying no.

Comment

The thing is, I believe that you might have missed the fact that the laptop is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, which is to say that it is hardwired to the internet...

I understand that companies do cut corners and that some hardware cannot be utilized to their fullest because of these cut-corners.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You didn't mention which type of connection you were using. For all I knew the school could have forced you to use their wireless network.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
          The Situation: friend wants to use his Wii in his dorm, but dorm rules prevent us from using wireless routers.
          Are wired routers ok? (You can turn off the wireless feature in most "wireless" routers.)

Does the Wii have a wired Ethernet jack?

It's likely that your dorm rule is there to prevent outsiders from stealing the dorm's valuable Internet bandwidth. Trying to get around the rule by turning your laptop into a wireless router doesn't address their concern that makes the rule necessary in the first place.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

the rule is set up to include any wireless access point connected to the schools network. This would include using your laptop as an access point.

now, aside from that, you CAN bridge the network connections, and set up an ad-hoc between the wii and the laptop.

or, you can purchase wireless adapters that can also function as wireless bridges. connect the two, then hook one side to the wii and another to a switch.

or, you can run ethernet.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I am not totally sure, but is there such a thing as ethernet to usb 3.0 cable? I don't know if you have a wii, but the wii does not have an ethernet port, it is wifi enabled period...

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                is there such a thing as ethernet to usb 3.0 cable?
                It's called a NIC, and the USB 2 ones will work fine, assuming the Wii knows how to use one. There's no standard for how to implement a NIC via USB, so you need drivers for each OS that you intend to use the NIC with, in this case the Wii's OS. So make sure the NIC you buy says that it works with Wii.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X