Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help picking a laptop

Here is what I do, this is for work.

Build and edit websites, produce/edit video's for embedding on the websites, the normal office 2007 programs.

other thoughts, we have offices in 2 states so basically I need a mobile desktop LOL, I need to future proof this a bit so I am thinking quad core for sure and a minimum of 6-8 gigs of ddr3. 350-500gb hard drive is sufficient as we have a company server to store stuff on. For the video editing I know I want a dedicated card with a minimum of 1 gb of memory....possibly 2. I build my own desktops but in the realm of laptops I have no idea what is good so I am open for suggestion and/or links. Thanks in advance
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: need help picking a laptop

Phew...

Video editing on a laptop... 6-8 gigs and a 1+ gig memory card... That's gonna be hard, I think. Hard to find and expensive.
    Usually I'd say, DON'T but a laptop x]
    Real heavy duty computer work isn't really what laptops are good at or designed for. Most problematic are the video cards.
    Problem is that building a laptop up yourself isn't as easy as with a desktop, if you can get the parts, that is.

Mhhhh... Depending on your (or your company's) budget I'd almost suggest look at alienware and similar producers. Problem is: Damn expensive.
    Maybe a Dell XPS.
    sigpic

Comment

do you have a budget in mind?
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by venman
        I am thinking this

XPS 15
        Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English
        Processor Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache)
        Memory 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
        Keyboard Backlit Keyboard - English
        Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 435M 2GB graphics
        Hard Drive 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
        System Color and LCD Silver Anodized Aluminum 15.6" HD (720p) WLED Display
        Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100 Network Card
        Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
        CD ROM/DVD ROM 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
        Sound JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
        Wireless Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000
        Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity Software
        Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 30-Day Trial
        Battery 92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
        Hardware Support Services 3 Year Basic Service Plan
        Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
        Mobile Broadband No Mobile Broadband Selected
        Recovery Tools Recovery DVD for Windows® 7 Professional OS, 64bit, English

all for $1729....not bad in my book
        added a docking station for $100.00 when I am at the main office. I know it's a dell but all our laptops at work are, I also added the 3yr service plan.
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

That's overkill for video editing Ven. That'd be more of a mobile Auto CAD or modeling/animation workstation.

A quad-core, 4 GBs of RAM, a dedicated midrange graphics card, and a 500+ GB hard drive would already surpass your needs for several years.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            That's overkill for video editing Ven. That'd be more of a mobile Auto CAD or modeling/animation workstation.

A quad-core, 4 GBs of RAM, a dedicated midrange graphics card, and a 500+ GB hard drive would already surpass your needs for several years.
            think so?.....hmm

Comment

If it doesn't really hurt in your wallet... go for it.

I'd always prefer overkill over slow and crappy performance.
              Of course it depends on your needs in video editing. Is it just small stuff or demanding work? Are you willing to pay extra for a little extra performance?
              sigpic

Comment

I don't really think there's a such thing as overkill for video editing when you're talking about a laptop. Get as much hardware as you can within your budget. I heard the HP envy's are nice too. I would definitely go into a best buy or something and try to find the models you're looking at. You never know if you're going to like the feel of the keyboard, trackpad, screen etc.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I would definitely be careful with HP though, as I and others have experienced with HP laptops, the screen can go bad early in its lifespan.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

I could not disagree more. Video editing is about the most intense thing you can do to a computer. It stresses, CPU, GPU, RAM, and HDD at the same time. I had a c2q 8200 w/ 8gig ram, a radeon 4870, and 2 640gig hdd in raid 0 and it was still sluggish in premiere, and glacial in after effects.

I upgraded to an i7 960 w/ 12gig ram and a ssd drive and easily work with HD footage, and after effects is usable finally.

Ven. 2 suggestions: Go for a higher res screen, and DEFINITELY get an SSD drive.

I know they are quite a bit more money, but a MacBook Pro 15 or 17 with a core i7, 8 gig ram, at least a 1680x1050 screen, and 128gig ssd is like 2400 - 2600. It will hold it's value for you much better, (just look on CL and ebay for used mbp, mb, and mba) and the magic mouse trackpad is actually very intuitive and natural for video and image editing. I love my MBP 13. Best laptop I have ever owned. small, light, sturdy, good battery life, awesome performance, great resale value.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Stay away from HP. Nothing but headackes with customer support when my video card fried out. Even after being "referbished" it craped out again not even 3 months later. Have two Dell laptops no problems and they are 2-3 years older just slower. Try ebay for docking station, got both of mine for $30 each there along with the batteries, chargers. ($20 each).
                      Any computer/laptop you buy check reviews and get that extended warrenty. I was pissed when my HP DV2000 started acting up right after the warrenty exspired. Now I'm part of a class action lawsuit against those people for knowingly selling defective hardware. Loved the HP laptop. Even went and bought a used motherboard off Ebay for $90 when the refirbishment did not keep.

You'll go with what works for you. I just hope it stays workng and that it has proper heat management. Google the product your about to buy and if allot of people are bitching about the same issues pass.
                      Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X