Building my friend a new computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my friend a new computer.

Hey guys, I'm building my friend a new computer and I was hoping a couple people just just quickly take a look at the specs and make sure I didn't mess anything up, never built an AMD system before so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Wes

Case: haf 912
    CPU: Amd phenom II x4 925
    Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD Evo
    GPU: XFX 5770
    PSU: OCZ modxstream pro 600W
    RAM: 4GB dual chan.
    HDD: WD Caviar blue

With and monitor, windows, and a dvd drive the thing ends up being about 1000$ (CAD) after taxes.
    2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
    BC2: |TG| Wesb2
    BF3: Wesb23

Re: Building my friend a new computer.

Why are you using AMD, Intel i5 quad or i7 surely is better/more reliable?

Also 600W is enough but really IMO a 650W+ is min

Comment

Originally posted by Headshot666 View Post
      Why are you using AMD, Intel i5 quad or i7 surely is better/more reliable?

Also 600W is enough but really IMO a 650W+ is min
      He probably doesn't want to pay such a price premium for the added 5-10% performance boost. Also upgradability is non-existent come next year on current Intel platforms. With AMD, he could upgrade to a Bulldozer quad or octacore CPU next year if he so chooses.

Wesh2,

The build looks pretty decent, though the 600W is overkill for the current config. It's fine to have the extra power if he's planning on Bulldozer next year (or a higher end chip later) and a more powerful graphics card later on.

RAM

Since you are using a AM3 board, make sure you get DDR3 RAM and not DDR2. Keep in mind, you don't need to splurge on performance RAM at speeds like 1600 and above unless he's planning on some serious overclocking.

CPU

I'd highly suggest a aftermarket CPU cooler for the PHII X4 as the stock cooler might not cool the CPU enough in a hot room with no air conditioning. For example, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be a great air cooler. Inexpensive and cools very well while being pretty quiet.

Hard Drive

There's not much point in getting a SATA 6.0 Gb/s hard drive as it only offers a slight performance increase while being significantly costlier than SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drives. He should consider a 1 TB hard drive, budget allowing, as large capacity drives are quite cheap nowadays while offering far better performance than high density drives of years past.

DVD Drive

Get a single DVD burner. Skip over the Lightscribe drives unless they are equally cheap or cheaper. Make sure to get a SATA interface drive and not a older IDE model.

Monitor

Is your friend considering reusing his monitor? If it's a smaller one (say 19"), then he might consider a newer full HD widescreen (21" to 24" which typically cost around $150-$180).

Here are two I suggest:

AOC 22" - $150
      Acer 23" - $160

He'll be happy for many years to come with either.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No need for Intel fanboyism here. The Phenom II is a great chip at a great price. An i5 would probably outperform it by a small margin but games don't tend to be CPU bound these days anyhow. The comment about Intel being more reliable is absurd.

As far as the GPU is concerned, I'm really happy with my 5770 but they don't make a whole lot of sense when you can upgrade to a GTX 460 or an ATI 6850 for 30 bucks or so and have a very large bump in performance. If you can get your friend to stretch his budget just a little bit, I think he would be happier with one of the two choices listed above, especially if he is going to be gaming at HD resolutions.
        sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that the Bulldozer chips will likely require a new socket.

The power supply is overkill for the current configuration.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
            My understanding is that the Bulldozer chips will likely require a new socket.
            AMD's already confirmed that the Bulldozer (Zambezi) chips will work with AM3 socket. [See: Ref 1, Ref 2] There are some hints that there might be a AM3+ socket in the future which would obviously take the Zambezi chips.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I believe that they've nixed the AM3 socket for the Bulldozer. Something about not being able to get the performance they were looking for on the old pin layout.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...forms_AMD.html
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah the reason I chose AMD over Intel simply comes down to pricing, i have an intel and i know they're better, but they're just too much for this build. Also my friend is upgrading from a 4 (yes four) year old laptop so he will need a new monitor.

Now I've never been very good about choosing PSU's, what would you guys recommend? Like a 450-500W?
                2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
                BC2: |TG| Wesb2
                BF3: Wesb23

Comment

Originally posted by wesb2 View Post
                  Now I've never been very good about choosing PSU's, what would you guys recommend? Like a 450-500W?
                  500W would be adequate for that configuration while giving him headroom for future upgrades. Equally important is choosing a unit from a reliable PSU manufacturer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the following: PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, Antec, OCZ. Antec and OCZ tend to be more affordable than the others on that list. Pick one that fits your budget.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                    I believe that they've nixed the AM3 socket for the Bulldozer. Something about not being able to get the performance they were looking for on the old pin layout.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...forms_AMD.html
                    Ah, so it's (the AM3+ socket) more than a rumor. In that case, it wouldn't be too bad at least you could still reuse older chips unlike Intel's strategy which abandons previous generation chips and favors a one-generation-tiered-variant-one-socket approach.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think he will be very happy with that setup. I am running an Athlon II X4 2.6ghz proc with 4GB DDR3 1600 in my rig and I am very happy with it. My graphics card is a radeon 5770 on a 650 watt psu. The setup runs very well and I have been very happy with it. All my games run with plenty on headroom left on the cpu usage so I cannot justify paying intel's prices. If I run out of CPU, I will get a Phenom II X6 1090T six core 3.2GHz for $229 USD on newegg. As far as I know Intel's 6 core proc is $1000 US.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X