Midlife upgrade - GTX 580

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midlife upgrade - GTX 580

Well, the system I built here is almost two years old.

Its been awesome, and I can play every game I want to with good fidelity. However, its time to make the jump to DX11.

I pulled the trigger on an EVGA GTX 580 SC yesterday. I have a lot of faith in EVGA, and they are a company to be supported, based on their location, great policies and support.

Got it installed this morning. Moving from the 2 260 SLI setup to the 580 being graphics and leaving the 1 260 as Physx offload.

Easy install, there is a lot of stuff on the web about size of card, but its actually exactly the same size as the 260, so great. No issues there.

Drivers installed, EVGA software installed, Win reboot. No issues at all.

I ran 3Dmark before and after, both performance and extreme presets.

Here are the results:

Before:
    P12290
    X4976

After:
    P26168
    X13468

Impressive, and visual fidelity is definitely better. All in all, well worth the money to me. The i7 is still not really taxed by anything, and I have enough ram (except in extreme VM scenarios when I am testing cluster software).

TL;DR.

Its a hawt card. It also actually runs cooler than the 260s under load.

:icon14:
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Re: Midlife upgrade - GTX 580

How did you get one card to be a physics card and the other graphics?
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Nvidia supports that now. Its settable under the Nvidia Control panel->Physx.

You can use any (Physx supporting) Nvidia card alongside any other Nvidia setup, so you can do, for example, SLI and then have another card that you just use for Physx.
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

major drool when i got the newsletter for this card at evga. They make great cards and even better support. If you want to get into a new tech go with them. I wish i could upgrade my comp now but it will have to wait till next year.

Let us know how it runs in games gunjunkie!

- -

Comment

Stellar. Just tried out Blackops and BC2 so far. BC2 in particular, runs like butter with max everything, and looks awesome.
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...