Reformatting HD question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformatting HD question

I have two hd one for win and the other for programs. If I Reformat the OS HD will the new install of winxp be able to recognize the programs on the other HD?

Re: Reformatting HD question

no, because the registry entried for those programs will not be there, what you can do, however, is to reinstall the grograms in the same path...... then there is a good chance the settings you had will be restored.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

ug.....any way around reinstalling programs?

Comment

export and import the registry
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
          export and import the registry
          Quoted because this should work.

regedit in start/run then export, save on hdd with programs, reformat, reinstall, import registries.
          Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
            Quoted because this should work.

regedit in start/run then export, save on hdd with programs, reformat, reinstall, import registries.
            Yes, but registry bloat is a primary reason that people reformat regularly. Microsoft recommends reformatting annually for this reason.

I would reformat and reinstall (don't uninstall anything, just reinstall over top of things so that you keep any custom settings...) without saving your old registry...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

there is also the option of a good registry cleaner.... ghost the drive, then clean out all the bloat. first use the microsoft regclean. then get a more in depth cleaner... there are 4 or 5 out there for free.... and go through to remove all the crap. I use one to remove the remnants of old programs, or to get those programs gone that refuse to uninstall.

It will let you kep your installation longer.... I can go almost 3 months without needing to reformat. (hehe)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X