Need some advice on Video Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on Video Cards

I've been wanting/needing a better video card that what I got now, a Nvidia GeForce 8500 with 512 MB of Ram on it. (Ran Bioshock on it, surprisingly. Not very well, but it worked. :D) It was made back in 2007, so yeah. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU (2.40 GHz)
    RAM: 3 GB
    Disk Space: 500 GB

I'm thinking the maximum price my parents are willing to go to is $200, but probably less than that.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Re: Need some advice on Video Cards

Give the screen resolution that you prefer to play games at.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Also tell us what kind of power supply you have. My 5770 is great for my monitor (1680x1050) but I'd want something beefier if I was running 1080p.
      sigpic

Comment

Ah, I had a felling I was missing some stuff. I try to run things at 1680 by 1050 pixels and I think I have a 560 watt power supply, but I'm not sure.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Mhh... I'd say Ati 5770, 6850, 6870... Or a Nvidia GTX460 (That's the one I got right now... Pretty nice)
          sigpic

Comment

Stick with a 5770, especially if you think you have a 560 watt power supply. A 5770 works really well at 1680x1050 and it doesn't draw much power. Something like this would serve you well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102898
            sigpic

Comment

By the way... 5770 works perfectly for 1080p. Don't worry, it's a great, cheap card!

I had it before I got the GTX460 (5770 died and I put a lil money in to change it to the Nvidia)

Everything above the 5770 might not be necessary since your system is not hardcore and you don't want to put good money into a videocard you can't use in it's full performance :]
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I'll have to change my list and hopefully they haven't ordered anything yet. I had to have the list in by Friday morning, so I'm kind of late with this. ^^;

Comment

If you have a quality 560W PSU, I can tell you first hand, your rig should be able to power up to a HD5870.

I have a very similar rig (check siggy) and a HD5830 which draws as much power as a HD5870 and I only have a Corsair 520W PSU.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

All right, I found out I have a 300 watt PSU. So, instead of asking for just a video card, I'm hoping I get a better PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                      All right, I found out I have a 300 watt PSU. So, instead of asking for just a video card, I'm hoping I get a better PSU.
                      So you're asking for both or only the PSU from your parents?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        So you're asking for both or only the PSU from your parents?

Both.

Comment

Okay, is your budget limit still $200? Because a good PSU could easily eat $80 of that. $120 doesn't leave you with much. At most you could get would be HD5750 with the remaining $120 (which is still a nice card, but not quite up to a HD5770).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Okay, is your budget limit still $200? Because a good PSU could easily eat $80 of that. $120 doesn't leave you with much. At most you could get would be HD5750 with the remaining $120 (which is still a nice card, but not quite up to a HD5770).
                            They might splurge and bump it up to $250, but I still don't know. Hopefully, I'll get both.

Comment

Here's my PSU recommendation given your budget: Rosewill 530W Green Series ($55 + $2.99 s/h)

It's a quality PSU, provides plenty of power even if you decide to upgrade again in the future, has a active PFC, and is 80 PLUS certified (meaning it has a 80%+ efficiency - uses less power to power your rig).

Here are two great video cards given both a $200 and $250 limit:

$200 limit: 1 GB HIS Radeon HD5770 ($115 after MIR + $2.99 s/h)

$250 limit: 1 GB XFX Radeon HD5850 ($175 after MIR, free s/h)

That is assuming you purchase before Christmas as these MIR deals probably won't last past Christmas. If you can push for the higher budget, then great, you'd have a very strong video card that'll let you play on maximum settings on most games @ 1920 x 1080 (or 1920 x 1200). If you can't push for the $250 limit, $200 is still great. You can still do most games on high settings with a HD5770 @ 1920 x 1080.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X