• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI Express makes the 3.0 leap, doubles bandwidth over PCIe 2.0 spec

Some interesting news to wake up to:
    PCI Express makes the 3.0 leap, doubles bandwidth over PCIe 2.0 spec

The big thing to read is this:
    And since we're sure you're fretting it, we'll go ahead and affirm that it maintains backward compatibility with previous PCIe architectures.

So yes, a 2.0 gfx card will work fine in a 3.0 slot. :row__542:

But as some of the comments at the link mention, the 2.0 slots still arn't really saturated by the fastest gfx cards. But maybe the next gen or 2 will. What I really want to know is how this will affect the power that the motherboard can provide a gfx. card. Like can we run a new card without having to run extra power wires?

Here are some more links with some good comments to read:
    PCI-SIG Finalizes PCI-Express 3.0 Specifications
    and
    PCI Special Interest Group Publishes PCI Express 3.0 Standard.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: PCI Express makes the 3.0 leap, doubles bandwidth over PCIe 2.0 spec

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    What I really want to know is how this will affect the power that the motherboard can provide a gfx. card. Like can we run a new card without having to run extra power wires?
    I really don't see that happening. The trace widths necessary to feed the power demands of high end cards is too prohibitive. Especially when most motherboards will now carry 2, 3, and even 4 graphics cards.

Comment

Wait, what about the cards? Can I use PCI 3.0 cards in a PCI 2.0 slot?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Considering you can use a 2.0 in a 1.0 slot, im sure that you can do that acreo.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Remember to put the "e" at the end of the acronym: "PCIe". That indicates the serial version of PCI, which without the "e" is a parallel bus limited to 132 megabytes per second. (4 times that if using the 64 bit extension and the double clock extension.)

If you had a PCIe 3 video card that saturated a PCIe 2 bus, the update rate would be limited to PCIe 2 speeds. So you might slow down some extremely demanding animation. Or you'd slow down the initial texture loading. I just don't see that as a problem.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I just realized what this does do for us: It reduces the number of "lanes" required for high-end cards. Since it doubles the clock speed, it halves the number of lanes needed, so you could take a PCIe 2.0 video card that needs an x8 slot and redesign it to use a x4 slot. That saves cost in terms of chips and traces and add-in board real estate.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X