Clear All

• need hardware input

currently going to get this board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157198

and this memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

so my question is this, I currently run this card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-438-_-Product

whats a good upgrade in the ATI line? whats the bang for the buck card out there? at the time I purchased it the 4890 was the right choice....and still runs all my games on high with no stutter or lag, but I have the "extra" money now to upgrade so I am doing it. I paid $200 at the time for my 4890 and it was worth every penny....is their a better replacement in the same price range? please only post ATI cards.....have never been a fan of the Nvidia cards except the 8800GT. Thanks in advance

PS, I play COD BO, MOH, and BC2...mostly all FPS games.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: need hardware input

If I were you, I'd either keep the 4890 and get a better motherboard or buy a second 4890 and run crossfire. The 6870 might also be a good bet but it wouldn't be as fast as two 4890s.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
      If I were you, I'd either keep the 4890 and get a better motherboard or buy a second 4890 and run crossfire. The 6870 might also be a good bet but it wouldn't be as fast as two 4890s.
      I like the ASROCK as they are a spin off from ASUS, the features per $$$$ is great on their boards. The 870 chip on that board is just slightly under the performance of the 890 chipsets...not enough to outweigh the difference in cost.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

It isn't a bad board but if you decide to go Crossfire down the line, the PCIE lanes run at 8X/8X rather than running at 16X each which might hamstring your performance a bit. It also won't be a great board for overclocking if that's important to you.

Anyhow, the 6870 is a great card and the 69XX series should be coming out soon to give you more options.
        sigpic

Comment

Hold off on a new video card. With Christmas and New Years coming up your price options will be lower with deals and such.

Comment

I have looked and looked and can't get a good comparison to what my 4890 does versus say a 5850? or better yet a 6850?....anyone help?

Comment

Your HD4890 is roughly equal to my HD5830. The HD5850 would be a good step upwards on the ladder. The HD6850 is about on par with a HD5850, but slightly better at some games.

Here's a good review on the HD6850 compared to the 5770s and 5850s: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-6850-review/6
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Your HD4890 is roughly equal to my HD5830. The HD5850 would be a good step upwards on the ladder. The HD6850 is about on par with a HD5850, but slightly better at some games.

Here's a good review on the HD6850 compared to the 5770s and 5850s: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-6850-review/6
                Good find ACREO, now my question is this. Is it a significant gain in performance over my 4890? I know both the 5800 and the 6800 draw less wattage than what I have, and I will gain DX11....but is it worth it? I can get the 5850 ASUS brand for $230, or the 6850 ASUS brand for $200.....

Comment

Personally I would hold on to the 4890 for now based upon the wonderful AnandTech GPU bench. I would save that $200 for something of a more significant upgrade since the difference between the two is minimal.
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                    Personally I would hold on to the 4890 for now based upon the wonderful AnandTech GPU bench. I would save that $200 for something of a more significant upgrade since the difference between the two is minimal.
                    hmmmm makes me wonder about buying a beefier PSU and and finding another 4890 used to crossfire?.....seen my exact one selling on ebay betwen 100-140$

Comment

Crossfired 4890s will blow the doors off of pretty much any single GPU card on the market, although your minimum framerates won't be quite as good. If I were you, I would take that route.
                      sigpic

Comment

Crossfired 4890s will blow the doors off of pretty much any single GPU card on the market, although your minimum framerates won't be quite as good. If I were you, I would take that route.
                        Now I just need a PSU that will handle 2 of those beasts....sigh

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                          Now I just need a PSU that will handle 2 of those beasts....sigh
                          SIGH! online psu calculators suck! what do I need to run a 125W quad core processor, dual 4890's 2 standard 7200 rpm drives, 2 high performance 80mm fans and 2 standard 80mm fans, and 4 sticks of DDR3 memory..any help would be great, and brands to use. I currently have a BFG tech 650W that I don't think will push dual 4890's

Comment

pulled the trigger on he board and memory...$150, not to bad. Granted I have SATA 3gbs drives and this board is 6GBS capable...atleast I am future proof :)

Comment

It also won't be a great board for overclocking if that's important to you.
                              How do you figure that? it's one awards for its ability to overclock

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X