Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i5 vs i7 setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i5 vs i7 setup

    It is just about time to upgrade. The old e6750 is having a ruff time keeping up with new games. Of course this isn't unexpected as I built this setup over 5 years ago and have updated the hardware around it to keep up. I'll be updating the mobo, cpu, and ram of my current rig. Reusing the PSU, GPUs, audio card, dvd drives, and LCD.

    I've narrowed down my search to two setups.
    i5 setup:
    asus maximus III formula mobo
    i5-760
    corsair dominator 8gb

    i7 setup:
    asus p6x58d premium
    i7-950
    ocz reaper 6gb

    The i7 setup is about $150 more the i5 one. i5 components are fairly high quality items while the i7's are good middle of the line pieces of hardware.

    Kinda looking for some opinions on cost vs quality vs long-term reliability. I would like the setup to last another 5 years without a core upgrade again. 3 years at the minimum.
    Any suggestions as to other hardware/setups of similar cost/value is welcome.




  • #2
    Re: i5 vs i7 setup

    i7. i7. i7.

    not only do you get the extra cpu power, you also get DDR3 triple channel memory. plus, the 1366 socket is more likely to be getting new chips in 3 or 4 years.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

    If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: i5 vs i7 setup

      What GPU are you reusing? If it's an upgrade from a long time ago, you'll likely be upgrading it regardless of whether you get an i5 or i7. I think the i5 can definitely get you 3 years and with either CPU you'll be upgrading your GPU the same number of times. The i7 will be underutilized for a while so you'll have plenty of room to grow but that means you're getting a marginal performance boost just because you need a GPU that can keep up with the speed of your CPU.


      Whatever you plan to get, I think it would be good to have a GPU upgrade in about 12-18 months since your last GPU upgrade. You want to maximize use of your CPU by staying on top with a good GPU since the CPU will be really good, won't be upgraded as often and is more costly to upgrade.

      - It's who you game with.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: i5 vs i7 setup

        Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
        i7. i7. i7.

        not only do you get the extra cpu power, you also get DDR3 triple channel memory. plus, the 1366 socket is more likely to be getting new chips in 3 or 4 years.
        Not much more CPU power. Only in applications that can take advantage of more than 4 cores otherwise you will see little to no advantage (clock for clock). It is actually unlikely that either the 1156 or 1366 sockets will be getting any sort of new CPUs in the coming future. 1155 is coming out along with sandybridge.


        You should only go i7 if you plan to go SLI or CFX with GPUs because 1366 has extra PCI-e lanes and thus will have more bandwidth for the GPUs. Otherwise i5 is the best option.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: i5 vs i7 setup

          Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          What GPU are you reusing? If it's an upgrade from a long time ago, you'll likely be upgrading it regardless of whether you get an i5 or i7. I think the i5 can definitely get you 3 years and with either CPU you'll be upgrading your GPU the same number of times. The i7 will be underutilized for a while so you'll have plenty of room to grow but that means you're getting a marginal performance boost just because you need a GPU that can keep up with the speed of your CPU.


          Whatever you plan to get, I think it would be good to have a GPU upgrade in about 12-18 months since your last GPU upgrade. You want to maximize use of your CPU by staying on top with a good GPU since the CPU will be really good, won't be upgraded as often and is more costly to upgrade.
          I have two 4890s in CF. The seem to be holding their own for now. I would probably be looking to upgrade them in about 12 months, maybe less, but I would think they would be good enough for med/high settings for awhile.

          i7 is probably better for CF, something to think about. I know when I upgrade I will probably go back to a single up-to-date card though.

          thanks for the info, if you guys think of anything else let me know, i appreciate the help.



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: i5 vs i7 setup

            Originally posted by machowner View Post
            I have two 4890s in CF. The seem to be holding their own for now. I would probably be looking to upgrade them in about 12 months, maybe less, but I would think they would be good enough for med/high settings for awhile.

            i7 is probably better for CF, something to think about. I know when I upgrade I will probably go back to a single up-to-date card though.

            thanks for the info, if you guys think of anything else let me know, i appreciate the help.
            Be sure you go 1366 i7 (i7 920 and above) rather than 1156 i7 (i7 860/870) otherwise you will not get the extra PCI-e bandwidth.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: i5 vs i7 setup

              I recently built a new rig and went with the 1366 i7 (950).

              That said, everything i've read says if you are only using SLI for 2 GPUs, the PCI-E bus on the 1156 will (just barely) handle the throughput demands. I can remember a bunch of articles comparing 1156 with SLi 480's and 1366 with SLI 480s, next to no difference in performance. Maybe the new GPUs would push that limit? Not sure. But is only going 2 GPUs, 1156 would work. 3 or more and 1366 is your only choice.

              The kicker always ended up being how fast the processor was (and how fast the available overclock was).

              Food for thought. I struggled and 'built' rigs both ways, the 1366 was maybe $200 more than the 1156. So I went for it.

              Buy what you are going to be happy with. Buyers remorse sucks.

              GL
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: i5 vs i7 setup

                The CPUs you picked are off by about 100 dollars in price, but the i7 950 is definitely a higher end CPU with a higher default clock speed. If you happen to live near a Microcenter, I know you can get the i7 950 for roughly $80 cheaper than newegg. If not, I would say you just have to determine if your budget will allow the more expensive platform. In real world performance, I really don't think you can justify the difference in price especially when CPU performance will be offset if you're at all interested in overclocking. Both platforms will most likely be replaced by next year so a future upgrade path shouldn't really affect your decision.

                If you can hold off on upgrading, I think your best bet might be to wait for the Sandy Bridge platform to come out in the new year. You'll have a platform with a longer lifespan for future upgrades and you might even be able to get one of those fancy new motherboards with the UEFI firmware.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload



                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: i5 vs i7 setup

                  Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post
                  I recently built a new rig and went with the 1366 i7 (950).

                  That said, everything i've read says if you are only using SLI for 2 GPUs, the PCI-E bus on the 1156 will (just barely) handle the throughput demands. I can remember a bunch of articles comparing 1156 with SLi 480's and 1366 with SLI 480s, next to no difference in performance. Maybe the new GPUs would push that limit? Not sure. But is only going 2 GPUs, 1156 would work. 3 or more and 1366 is your only choice.

                  The kicker always ended up being how fast the processor was (and how fast the available overclock was).

                  Food for thought. I struggled and 'built' rigs both ways, the 1366 was maybe $200 more than the 1156. So I went for it.

                  Buy what you are going to be happy with. Buyers remorse sucks.

                  GL
                  Yes, however with newer GPUS coming out which are going to make the difference between PCI-e 1.0 and 2.0 bandwidth truly matter (where 2.0 has twice the bandwidth of 1.0 per lane), it is becoming all the more important. I would say that today it may not really matter, however down the road with newer GPUs it very well might.

                  Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                  The CPUs you picked are off by about 100 dollars in price, but the i7 950 is definitely a higher end CPU with a higher default clock speed. If you happen to live near a Microcenter, I know you can get the i7 950 for roughly $80 cheaper than newegg. If not, I would say you just have to determine if your budget will allow the more expensive platform. In real world performance, I really don't think you can justify the difference in price especially when CPU performance will be offset if you're at all interested in overclocking. Both platforms will most likely be replaced by next year so a future upgrade path shouldn't really affect your decision.

                  If you can hold off on upgrading, I think your best bet might be to wait for the Sandy Bridge platform to come out in the new year. You'll have a platform with a longer lifespan for future upgrades and you might even be able to get one of those fancy new motherboards with the UEFI firmware.
                  My i7 920 D0 overclocked to 4Ghz is faster than the $1000 i7 960 by quite a bit and was $800 cheaper at MC. Anything you buy in the i7 line on the 1366 line will be fine for as cheap as you can find. Overclocking ability of the i7 D0 is arguably the best.

                  Sandy Bridge might not be so great. Rumor has it and leaks have said that all of the CPUs will have no overclocking ability except for specially unlocked SKUs which will (if rumors are correct) be only $30 more. I hope this is accurate in pricing, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were far more expensive given how they can just milk the enthusiast market. Might want to also look at Bulldozer.

                  Comment

                  Connect

                  Collapse

                  TeamSpeak 3 Server

                  Collapse

                  Advertisement

                  Collapse

                  Twitter Feed

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X