More HDD Troubles...Need Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More HDD Troubles...Need Advice

It seems my 2/3 year old 500 GB WD MyBook Essentials (USB 2.0, FW400, eSATA) external HDD is literally on its last legs (either that or it has failed completely). It is connected via eSATA and it was bought at a local Costco. For the past two days, I've been having trouble accessing/reading/writing to the drive (connected via eSATA). Out of about 20 attempts, I've only managed to copy 95% of my files off the drive before it became unaccessible again. When it is unaccessible, it causes my machine to lock up completely until I disconnect my HDD (or restart my system).

When it is in operation, it's very loud as if the heads were clashing with the plates. Second bad sign since yesterday...

(For those of you who helped me out in the past, this makes the 3rd HDD to have failed on me within this year. The first two were Seagate while this one is a WD -- reminds of me of those years past when Seagate and WD were...)

Anyways, I've narrowed my possibilities down to 3 options:

Option 1: RMA to WD

Attempt a RMA of my drive with Western Digital. I emphasize the word "attempt" since so far I'm fairly sure I threw away the receipt. Bad idea, yeah, but after some 2 years I did not expect to have needed it and fairly convinced myself it would not fail me.

I have not called WD yet as I'm still trying to get the last few files I need off of the drive. Besides not having my original receipt (nor a copy), I'm afraid they would only replace my MyBook with an inferior model without a eSATA port.

Option 2: External Enclosure and a Internal HDD

This looks to be the most promising option for me so far, though I would rather spend less and go with option one.

I've narrowed down enclosure choices to the following:

Rosewill ($25): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182180

Masscool ($30): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817388025

My HDD choices thus far:

Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 ($50): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148433

WD 1.5 TB Green ($60): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136513

Samsung 1 TB EcoGreen F2 ($60): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152173

This would give me roughly double the capacity I have now with the 500 GB and allow me to keep my eSATA setup without switching back to the slower USB 2.0 or equally slow Firewire 400.

Option 3: Another Internal HDD

The third final option would be to just pop in another internal HDD. The concern I have here is powering the 3rd internal HDD. I only have a 520W Corsair and I'm afraid it would hit/exceed its limit on a cold start or during a intense "work" day whereby I could be transferring GBs of files, running several programs, and perhaps even encoding/rendering something in the background.

What do you guys think I should do?

Do you guys see any other options I'm missing or have other drive/enclosure suggestions?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: More HDD Troubles...Need Advice

Without knowing your system specs, it'd be hard to make any knowledgeable recommendations but does your present back-up have an independent power source or does it power from your eSATA cable? I run 5 hard-drives on my present system and given that most hard-drives only pull a max 4 watts, I wouldn't believe you'd have issues with another internal drive and would make things easier overall unless you need the portability.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco
      Without knowing your system specs, it'd be hard to make any knowledgeable recommendations...
      My system specs are listed in my signature image...

Just in case the image isn't loading for you, here they are:

ASUS P5Q Mobo
      Core 2 Quad Q9550, OC to 3.4 GHz (no voltage change, just a FSB clock change)
      4 x 2 GB DDR2 800
      1 GB Sapphire HD5830
      320 GB Seagate HDD (SATA II)
      1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD (SATA II)
      Lite-On DVD-ROM (SATA)
      Lite-On DVD +/- RW Lightscribe Drive (SATA)
      Fan Controller
      4 x 120 mm Case Fans
      520W Corsair HX520 PSU
      Windows 7 Professional x64

Originally posted by LpBronco
      ...does your present back-up have an independent power source or does it power from your eSATA cable?
      My current WD external does use it's own power source. eSATA is basically the regular internal SATA extended out to a external port. It is still data only and does not provide power to a hard drive (hence the need for a separate power source).

An update:

I put my external WD on USB 2.0 and I'm copying the last few files I need to backup. Then I'm going to wipe the drive. The fact that it now makes a racket of "clicks" every 30 seconds or so scares me (used to be a sign of a failing, nowadays the signs are confusing). I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can backup these last few files before the drive becomes inaccessible again.

Well this isn't good. Tried deleting two folders (has some small files) and no matter what I try I cannot seem to delete or move them from the drive. It's not a permissions error and I've tried restarting twice already. This is looking worse by the hour.

Something I forgot to mention. I did ran WD's Diagnostic Tool and did the "long test" and the drive passed. SMART came back clean as well. (Not that either is very helpful at all.)

God I'm tired of replacing HDDs this year...
      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-30-2010, 02:26 AM.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm. I managed to save the rest of my files and reformatted the drive. Windows fails to pick up the WD MyBook using the eSATA port completely now. Ironically, it does pick it up via USB 2.0. However, from a cold start/power cycle, the hard drive makes some loud clicking noises (identical to the ones my other two failed Seagate drives exhibited) for a good minute or two before Windows finally picks up the drive and mounts it.

Doing a CHKDISK now with "fix file system errors" and "attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked. Going to bed, so I'll leave it on to finish. I'll see what the report says in the morning. Still debating how "bad" this drive is now and if I should buy a replacement right away or wait until it completely fails.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Great, CHKDISK says my disk is fine. Screw it, I'm getting a new HDD. Really don't wanna wait-and-see if this WD bites the dust a week from now or something.

Meh. Why do I bother posting here for help? I get 40+ reads and one semi-helpful reply (no offense to you Bronco, your addition about 5 HDDs reassures me that I should be able to run another HDD). Yet I take my time out to help others here, but I don't seem to get the same in return.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would have taken that whole thing apart and put the drive in the case and tried it there..

I always "make" my own external enclosures myself with a little case and a drive that I choose..

In my experience, a drive making any "noise" as you describe is bad..it has never worked out for me. I hear noise, then soon, DEATH..:(

I also have built many systems that had multiple HD's and until a few years ago, with the advent of these outrageous video cards, I never used anything more than a 350-watt PSU. I have an array with 6 sata drives in it at home and it has a 120-watt micro PSU on it (used as a streaming media server)...so maybe that will make you feel even better about adding another drive to your system..

I am sorry you have had such a crappy year in regards to HDD's..that just sux, but maybe you will not exxperience any more problems for many years now that you got all your troubles at once so to speak :)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
              I would have taken that whole thing apart and put the drive in the case and tried it there..
              Now I just might. I don't wanna destroy the enclosure so hopefully the few videos I've found are of some help.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Couple of thoughts.
                Depending on where you bought it, you might be able to get a copy of the receipt from them. I know I did that once with BestBuy from an item I bought like 2 years earlier. I was able to find it using the rewards program I think. Might be able to do the same from like Newegg or something.

Are you sure it is still even under warranty if it is over 2 years old?
                If it isn't, I say hack it open and throw a cheap drive in the enclosure. Probably some guides online about doing it cause it shouldn't be too hard. At least if you end up not sending it back, see if a friend wants it to hack.

And the with the noises, I agree it is probably about to die regardless of what the error checks say. Could it just be testing if the platter is bad, but a actual mechanical part be going bad and not showing up in the report?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

@ Bam,

I bought it at a Costco. I'll ask them the next time I'm there to see if there's any way to look up a receipt. I swore the box said 3 years warranty. I'd have to find the box and take a look again. I'm fairly sure it's only a little over 2 years old.

If I hack it open, I'll probably pop it into my LAN rig or my dad's rig to use as a spare drive for a bit. Probably until it dies completely or if it miraculously lives for another 3 years.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I actually meant buying a new drive and putting it in the old enclosure and tossing the drive thats in there now.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      I actually meant buying a new drive and putting it in the old enclosure and tossing the drive thats in there now.
                      Oh oh, sorry misunderstood you. I'll do that then whenever I get the chance to get another HDD. :)

Yeek. The MyBook enclosure is cheap as hell. Not to mention a smorgeshboard of screws. Hmm, a new encolsure's not that much and I could get one with a fan and eSATA nowadays. Would beat the MyBook enclosure hands down.
                      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thought I'd post a update. New WD15EARS arrived about an hour ago. Put it into the rig and everything seems to be okay. I'm only concerned about power draw from a cold start right now.

Other than that, I think I need a even bigger case for my next build. The Antec P180B just isn't roomy enough for a large video card and multiple hard drives. The cable mess in the lower bay is a nightmare.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Depending on how good your air flow from the PSU is, I have read a lot of people just take the bottom channel fan out to give more room for HD wires. Also having a modular PSU helps.

Also, like said above, why not just pop open the WD external case and put your new green drive in it?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            Depending on how good your air flow from the PSU is, I have read a lot of people just take the bottom channel fan out to give more room for HD wires. Also having a modular PSU helps.
                            With all the cabling mess between the lower bay and mobo area, I'd rather keep the fan down there to help cool those three HDDs. As for the PSU, mines is modular. Not that it helps since the cables are fairly stiff and I've had to use all of them.

On a related note...you have a P183 right? Did they move the fan in the middle of the lower bay to the front of the lower bay?

Also, like said above, why not just pop open the WD external case and put your new green drive in it?
                            Because I'm just real lazy right now and don't feel like popping the enclosure to install the new WD green drive. The other thing is the broken drive used to get very hot in the enclosure when I heavily using it. So heat's the other issue.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I actually have the p182 case. The fan is on the side closest to the HD sled, not the PSU compartment. But you can easily flip it around and put it on the side closer to the PSU.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X