finding a cheap netbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding a cheap netbook

so once again, i turn to my TG brethren for assistance.
    backstory:
    my godparents do a lot of travelling, both in the US and in foreign countries. they're marginally tapped into the information age insofar as they know how to check email and browse the internet. my parents are looking to get them a netbook for their travels, but nothing fancy.

bottom line, they want to get them a functional, cheap netbook. something in the range of 200 bucks (preferably less). doesnt have to have any bells and whistles. so if anyone knows of any good deals, please let me know.

Re: finding a cheap netbook

If they wait another week or two, they might be able to pick up a 10.1/10.2" netbook running Win7 for ~$200. Right now the cheapest they can get one for is around $260.

Normally, it's very hard to find a decent netbook at $200. Most are priced between $250 and $400. The few companies that still offer $200 and sub-$200 netbooks are usually 1st generation models featuring a 7-inch screen and powered by cell phone parts (ARM processor, old VIA chips, etc) and are meant to run some distro of Linux.

With that said, if they're willing to use a used/refurbished model, then they could easily get a netbook for under $200.

Here are a few cheap netbooks that are new and under $300:

ASUS EeePC 1001 White ($260): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220892

Acer AOD 255-2509 Black ($260): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115919

More: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24300

Here's some refurbished ones under $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24200

I know you are sort of set on a netbook, but have they considered a Android tablet? With the holiday season, you could easily find a 7 to 10 inch Android for under $200. Doesn't sound like they need to do any word processing (beyond some email messages) or need it for any serious computing.

For example:

Augen GenTouch78 Tablet - 7" - ($150): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ed_Tablet.html

Archos 7 Home Tablet - 7" - ($170): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...HOS-_-82501013

They still would be able to surf the web, do emails, watch some streaming youtube videos, load up some family photos, etc.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

yeah, i suggested the tablet idea to my dad, seeing as i'm an android super-nerd, but he said that they'd probably get lost trying to use it (my godparents are elderly) and they'd probably need a keyboard.

thanks for the info though acreo! i'll have to keep my eye open on sales for xmas.

Comment

Keep in mind you should aim for at least a 10-inch model. Ideally you'd want the newer Atom D510 (dual-core) or the Atom D410 (single-core) if you're looking at Intel-based netbooks. I think the best would be a AMD powered netbook as those CPUs (though a bit more power hungry) offer much better performance than their Intel Atom counterparts (not to mention typically better integrated graphics).

Some models will offer a 12 cell battery and thus offer anywhere from 5-7 hours of real world usage. Typically, the "on sale" models only come with the 4-6 cell battery which only does 2.5 to 4.5 hours.

Brand wise, I'd aim for these brands in this particular order:

1. ASUS
        2. HP or Samsung
        3. MSI
        4. Acer
        5. Others (Toshiba, Sylvannia, etc)

The ASUS EeePCs have great build quality, both internal and external (including actual HSF coolers for the Atoms/Neos). HP and Samsung would come next, but they are both are expensive but have great keyboards, sturdy cases, and great build quality like the ASUS models. Typically the Samsung's are hard to find in a store and supposedly those models that still use non-LED backlit screens use a higher quality panel (LTPS, PVA, etc).

MSI and Acer follow those three. Acer's models are very popular and have a range of colors and look great. The MSIs (which seem to be a bit more hackable than Acer's) don't offer as many colors and have largely reduced their netbook configurations down to a few models mostly only available in black or white/silver.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, the ASUS Eee's were what i've been leaning toward. If nothing saleworthy comes up in the next couple weeks, I'm just going to tell my parents to bite the extra 60-70 bucks and go for it.

Comment

WAtch out for the battery. I picked up this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220891 for $199 on the Cyber Monday sale but it only has a four cell. I to know that I can get a battery for it for about $50 and will then have one and a half batteries, pick up a stick of 2GB ram and come out ahead of the standard price.

I have no expectation that you will find a $200 model outside of a sale or sorely outdated hardware, and they run on thin enough margins as is. I'd say bite the bullet and expand your price to $300 and pick what you want.

Of course at that price a normal sized laptop may be an option, do they really want to squint at that tiny netbook screen?
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I would disagree with Acreo a bit, and change the order of the list to Asus/Toshiba, then the rest. I was looking around for netbooks this september, and ended up buying a Toshiba NB305, which has (or had) the best all-around reviews of the netbooks at the time. Some of the Asus models offer better performance, but usually with lower battery life and worse ergonomics. Your price range is also a bit strained, I paid about 350 (I think) for mine new at bestbuy, refurb or used should be a bit lower, but I can't expect it to go down by all that much. Good luck with your search.

Comment

personally, I really like Dell's offerings.

they have a great refurbished offering, and I have had no trouble out of the 8 that I have purchased as gifts. the mini 9 is a great little computer and has no moving parts aside from the keys and screen hinge. the mini 1012 steps up the video, and has a real hard drive and win7... there is also a mini12, and I think elderly people might enjoy the larger screen.

the build quality is great, and so is the customer service. I am sure I will have several comments as to why Dell sucks, but dell uses quality - industry standard parts. Companies like hp, acer, toshibe, sony etc. tend to use more obscure stuff from time to time... making os install (whether that be linux, macos, or windows) a much more difficult endeavor.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I actually did a side x side before selecting the EEE for my son and the Toshiba suffers a problem with the battery locks and can be a problem. The competition has increased and there are some 13" models that compare in price and portability with the netbooks.

(I did end up spending a little over $400 for my son's 'book - upgraded memory, carrying case, and wireless mouse)
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Since you mentioned the netbook is for a more elderly person, are you sure they won't have trouble working on a 10" screen? Usability is really the key here as it would be a shame if you got them something nice that they found hard to use.
                    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X