Antivirus suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus suggestions

So after an AVG 2011 Free Edition update that caused my computer to suffer an error upon started (forcing me to use a system restore point), I decided it is time to try a new antivirus program. Any suggestions for a free antivirus solution?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Antivirus suggestions

Linux :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

on another note, I have avast on all of my families computers and really have heard great things from them about it as they havent had trouble at all!!!

though safe browsing habits help tooo :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Having used most of the free (and a bunch of the pay) options out there, my recommendation is one word: Kaspersky.

Seriously, it's only $50 a year, and the detection rate is incomparable. AVG and Avast don't come close.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

I've heard a lot of great things about Kapersky. I personally just use MSE. I haven't had an issue yet.

Comment

As far as free AVs go, I'd suggest sticking with Avira's Free Anti-Vir or Avast. AVG's chock full of the bugs and adware (not to mention updates cause more problems than they solve).

As for paid ones, Kapersky and NOD32 are the two I'd throw my money at. Robust, powerful, and isn't taxing to your system (like Symantec's Norton or McAfee's).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Common sense + any decent free AV. And of course MalwareBytes if you need to get rid of anything.

However performance isn't an issue with any AVs these days.

Comment

second Avira. I used to use AVG until it became bloated and worthless. Avira is light and accurate.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I was a big AVG guy until it got bloated and I switched to Avast. Now I've changed all our PCs over to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, completely integrated, updates itself, and coupled with common sense works like a champ.

Comment

I use Norton Internet Security 2011. Although I pretty much only use it because I get it for free from Symantec, I think even if Symantec stops giving me free serial number packages I would probably buy it. I don't see it imacting performance at all, and if I think it might be it has a nice performance area that lets me see exactly what processes are using what resources. It even provides alerts if random processes go rogue and start using up large amounts of CPU, memory or disk time.

I have a lab at work where I intentionally infect machines with various types of malware and analyze both what the malware is doing and how it is exploiting the system, but also what AV packages can properly deal with and identify ALL the malware I've put on a system.

I can't release all the exact details, but all AV packages are NOT equal. In some cases, users may think they have a fantastic AV solution on their machine because their machine stays protected but the entire time they THINK they are safe there are background processes watching for SSNs, CC #'s, and more. Cheaper most certainly is not always better.

I'll say this; I would rather BUY a Symantec product than use certain "free" AV solutions simply because If I am going to tolerate the software on my machine, it damn well better be doing its job.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Apophis, based on your experience can you recommend the best way to test our current AV products ?
                      Is there a certian set of tools you use to test with ?

|

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
                        Apophis, based on your experience can you recommend the best way to test our current AV products ?
                        Is there a certian set of tools you use to test with ?
                        Most of the stuff that I work with is self created. Although it wouldn't be very hard for me to make some sort of benchmark image using VMplayer that people could download and play with.

Being vigilant is always the best way to keep yourself protected. When it comes to actually getting infected in the first place the things you'll want to keep 100% patched is Java, Flash, Adobe Reader, Firefox and IE. Those are pretty much the most common entry points for malware/viruses/etc. If you have a decent AV package to scan files and keep the above products patched, you'll be in a far better situation.

That being said; I also don't download pirated music, or software which also goes a long way.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Here you go guys: http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews

That site makes a report every 3 months comparing most of the antivirus, very good one for me. I personally use avira now but installed Microsoft Security Essentials in my parents PC and it seems light and good.
                          sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Seriously, Microsoft Security Essentials. I have it running on my computer, my girlfriends laptop and both my parents' computers. It's a damned nice setup, and it's free, which makes it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Wafflebot View Post
                              Seriously, Microsoft Security Essentials. I have it running on my computer, my girlfriends laptop and both my parents' computers. It's a damned nice setup, and it's free, which makes it even better.
                              I also use MSE on all my families computers and have never had any issues with it. Being free is the best. :)

Life Is As Brief As A Butterflies Fart.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X