Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

Greetings,

The new maps for BC2 are out and are awesome, but Fraps brings the frame rate down as low as 22fps when recording on some of the new maps.

I have a $500 budget and want to upgrade my system (below) so as to get the best increase in FPS while recording online video games with fraps.

My current system runs 60 fps when gaming online and not recording, and 40-55 fps when recording with Fraps.

The system is as follows:

Rampage III Mob
    Patriot Sector 7 6GB PC3-1600 2000MHz RAM
    Intel Core i7 930
    ATI Radeon 5870 GPU 850/1200 MHz GDDR5
    All Hard Drives are running at 7200rpm

Overclocked and stable at 4ghz

Again, my question is what upgrade will give me the best increase FPS while recording online video games with Fraps?

SSD
    More ram/better ram
    another GPU in crossfire
    faster core

Thank you!
    sigpic

Re: What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

I would use the windows performance monitor to check CPU/RAM/HD usage while running FRAPS. I'd imagine the CPU is the culprit if anything and you are already very near the top of the ladder in that department.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Tell us a little more about your HDDs...
      Your CPU is great, the vid card is great, RAM is sufficient. I don't think either of those would need an upgrade and certainly not only for fraps.

You could look into RAID0 to speed up the writing process if needed.
      I guess Namebot's advice is the best thing you can do right now. Check everything while recording and look into the data.

If you really want to spend the money just to record stuff, I think the best solution would be to record in a different way.
      There's a thread about that... (And probably a billion how-to's and tests in the web ;))
      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/video-p...hauppauge.html
      sigpic

Comment

That Hauppauge does not sound like much of an improvement over a good extra drive.

Vista Resource Monitor checks out all systems appear tolerable.

When FRAPS is recording:

CPU: 45 -- 60 %
        Memory: 39%
        Disk: 48 MB/s

Occasionally I see the disk at 100% but not all the time and not enough to explain the constant degradation in fps.

I wonder if having a SSD system drive writing FRAPS files to another SSD drive would eliminate any issues via a vis read write speeds while recording.

As my components (expect for the standard 7200 rpm drives) are all high end, this fps problem should not be happening -- which possible suggests the HD write speed is the issue.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I'll videotape the resource monitor while I play with Fraps on and upload it here tomorrow, for feedback.
          sigpic

Comment

I probably know less than anyone here but have actually carried out some tests, they are ill planned and ill thought out but I can give you the benefit of my ridiculous observations.

Recording Arma II:OA at 1920 by 1200

- Recording to external HD via usb, biggest hit on FPS
            - Recording to main HD, now you would expect this to drop FPS but it was better than using the USB connection. Now I am guessing but perhaps the performance hit is outweighed by the increased speed of the SATA connection.
            - Recording on to USB flash drive, best FPS give or take a few frames, now I appreciate this is a USB connection but perhaps the flash memory speed offsets the USB connnection

Is it possible that the connection slows the write speed and consequently slows the system down creating a bottle neck, ie processes are queuing. I am sure I am completely wrong and computers don't work this way but thats how appears to me logically.

My suggestion try recording to a SATA linked HD then an SSD, wouldn't take long to test.

Sorry if the above is utter nonsense but as I say I'm a noob but I have been trying out a lot of FRAPS recording etc and thats how it appeared to me.

Comment

E-Male is the CPU usage 45-60 max across all cores or is that an average core usage?
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I am not sure, as i dont know that much about the higher end hardware
                could be USB2 speed going to the external harddrive, but if its only the new maps and not the old maps then that doesnt make sense, mb write per minute is the same for the screen res, no matter what the map

The other thing is bigger maps means much more useage of ram, but you show memory at 39% useage, so that doesnt add up either

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                  My suggestion try recording to a SATA linked HD then an SSD, wouldn't take long to test.
                  this seems like a good idea, to test a few faster alternatives to USB2.0 to external harddrive

Comment

My system is almost the same as E-males.

ASUS RE3 mobo.

2 SATA-III (6.0Gb/s) WD 1TB drives. (One OS drive, and the second for storage/FRAPS).
                    12GB G.Skill RAM @ 2GHz.
                    I7 980X CPU @ 3.4GHz
                    2 x AMD HD5870

When I attempt to record at 1920x1200, I can maintain in game FPS, but the FRAPS recordings stutter very bad. If I record at 1680x1050 I can maintain 50fps both in game and in the FRAPS recording. I also have not figured out a way to achieve 1920x1200 without problems. I'm not really sure what can be done.

I guess we could always shoot off an e-mail to the beepa guys and get their opinion.

Comment

Ok, I'm a bit of a goof. I recently reset my Fraps to record at FULL screen, instead of 1/2 screen, so that has been degrading my recording (nonetheless, I would like to achieve maximum recording efficiency with Fraps).

I imagine the CPU usage is an average across all four cores -- will look into that.

Here is a video record (rather dull) of the process monitor with fraps recording or off.

I will make another video record of the same, but at 1/2 screen setting in Fraps, which should show a difference -- but in what area? We'll see . . .

This is best seen at 1080p HD
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                        Greetings,

The new maps for BC2 are out and are awesome, but Fraps brings the frame rate down as low as 22fps when recording on some of the new maps.

I have a $500 budget and want to upgrade my system (below) so as to get the best increase in FPS while recording online video games with fraps.

My current system runs 60 fps when gaming online and not recording, and 40-55 fps when recording with Fraps.

The system is as follows:

Rampage III Mob
                        Patriot Sector 7 6GB PC3-1600 2000MHz RAM
                        Intel Core i7 930
                        ATI Radeon 5870 GPU 850/1200 MHz GDDR5
                        All Hard Drives are running at 7200rpm

Overclocked and stable at 4ghz

Again, my question is what upgrade will give me the best increase FPS while recording online video games with Fraps?

SSD
                        More ram/better ram
                        another GPU in crossfire
                        faster core

Thank you!
                        you just built that rig? do you have a money tree growing out back somewhere? all of your videos look great when you post them....what more could you possibly want?
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                          what more could you possibly want?

World peace and all my hair back.

Well, an evening on the new maps with FRAPS recording at 1/2 screen and FPS at 60, so all is well, but it would be nice to be able to do full screen fraps recording at 60 fps or higher -- which I assume would render higher resolution videos.

I'll post a few of the 60 fps videos of the new BC2 maps tomorrow.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey man, i have done a bit of work with video editing. And have friends that have done the same. For some reason, video related software tends to be strangely HD dependant. Often the best upgrade is Raid-O or nowadays SSD, or SSD Raid-0. The only problem with this is the SSD drives fail faster when you write to them alot, so that is something to consider. SSD drives are best used when you want to put things on them that you keep there, such as Games, and then occasionally write to, but read from alot.

Hope this helps, and really glad to see someone trying to make quality videos of something!!!

Now for a shameless plug for League of Legends, so that I can get referred folks!!!

Click Here if you haven't check out League of Legends

Comment

Bitmouse is right.
                              Your rig is already killer. Only thing I would say is an ssd, like we talked about in your build thread.
                              Will let you know when the Intel drives are released :icon26:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X