Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

I'd agree with Bamboo. Those HDD speeds are low and could definitely be improved. I run two distinct RAIDS with my present Mobo and never see speeds below 60 (usually much higher). This may be more a result of the combined cache that results but drives are cheap and matching a pair of 32mb cache drives might give you better results.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

On a quick overview of what you've presented, I'd look critically at your HDD setup as being the bottleneck. I wouldn't really advise going for an SSD array but if you have the available SATA inputs, a Fraps-dedicated Raid0 configuration might be worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
        ...a Fraps-dedicated Raid0 configuration might be worth looking into.
        I was about to suggest the same thing.

Alternatively you could redo your hard drives and run a RAID 1+0 setup with 2-4 HDDs (say 4 x 1.5 TB would give you 3 TBs of space striped and mirrored with the benefits of RAID 1 and 0). That would let you enjoy the increased HDD performance for all of your other tasks not just for FRAPS recording.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just curious why you want to record at 60 fps? Youtube, Vimeo etc will drag it down to 30 fps in the end anyway. Unless you're using those extra frames for something specific like doing slow-motion effects, rotoscoping, etc then you're doubling the amount of data that has to be written to your drive.

Comment

I believe I mentioned this before, but how about trying a software change? Playclaw advertises it has the ability to record videos in game with minimal impact on playability. I personally use PlayClaw myself for the FPS overlay (like fraps) as well as the TS overlay (very handy if you don't have a 2nd monitor). I haven't recorded anything so I can't tell you how good it is at that, but I think it's something I'll try tonight.

The tests show that PlayClaw can record game video with high compression on the multicore processor almost without any loss of frames in the game. Is there anything else the player needs? :)
            PlayClaw

Most game video capture software, if you can use it during a game at all, will slow your PC to a crawl. PlayClaw is different, making full use of any multi-core processors and with lean coding designed specifically for use during resource-hungry games!

Comment

Thank you for all the responses.

Yes, I may try Playclaw, just to see if it is indeed superior to Fraps.

At present, I do get around 60 FPS in-game with Fraps on or off (most of the time) recording at 1/2 screen.

In the new year I will like seek out some higher speed HDs or SSDs and see if that does better.

I'll report the results back here.
              sigpic

Comment

I've played with FRAPS in the past and while I agree with Kevlarorc that its not necessary to have videos recorded at 60 frames per second, I vaguely remember there being a flaw in FRAPS that basically handcuffed your gameplay FPS to whatever FPS your fraps recordings are set to. In other words, if you're recording FRAPS videos at 30 FPS, what you see on your screen while you're actually playing will also be limited to 30 FPS which is noticeably worse in real-time. Again, I'm not 100% sure if this is true because I messed with video recording a while ago so someone will have to confirm or deny this.

Recording games at 60 FPS at full resolution (sounds like 1920x1080 in your case) is going to be incredibly demanding on your computer no matter how powerful it is as you are essentially asking your computer to record Blu-ray quality content at more than double the framerate in real-time. I'm fairly certain that the bottleneck in recording at 1920x1080 @ 60fps is strictly your storage solution.

Recording high resolution video requires an incredible amount of bandwidth. You can calculate the bitrate of an uncompressed video by multiplying Horizontal resolution x Vertical resolution x Bit Depth x Frame rate. In your case, you're looking at 1920 x 1080 x 24 x 60 = ~373.25 MB/s. Most mechanical hard drives are capable of writing data at less than 120 MB/s. When you attempt this level of recording on your current system, you get capped at less than 30 FPS because FRAPS is trying it's best to negotiate the limited transfer speeds of your hard drive by dropping a lot of frames. The fastest consumer writing storage solution right now is a solid state disk and even those only achieve a sequential write speed of somewhere around 220 MB/s I think. If you sub in 220 MB/s into that equation and solve for x frames per second, you end up with a theoretical framerate of roughly 36 FPS. To me that's not fast enough for actual play. You could spend $400 to $500 on a 256GB SSD if you want to find out though.

Disclaimer: VoodooIT's math could be horribly wrong so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I already have the software purchased. E-Male, if you want, I can try testing out the recording functionality of PlayClaw tonight. That way you can save some cash if it isn't as good as advertised.

Comment

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention: Recording at 1920x1080 @ 60 FPS would fill up your hard drive 4 times as fast as recording at half resolution. 10 minutes of footage would require roughly 224GB of hard drive space. That would fill the entire 256GB SSD in just over 10 minutes. It's sad to say this, but in the year 2010 I don't really think that level of recording resolution and framerate is possible with today's hardware unless you're using some truly exotic solution.

Edit:

After doing a little more research, I actually think you could achieve the hard drive write speed necessary for recording at [email protected] Two SSD's configured in a Raid 0 striped array could theoretically achieve a sustained write speed in the neighborhood of 350 MB/s. Buying two 256GB SSD's would cost you over $800 though. Now the only problem is that with 512GB of storage space, you would be limited to roughly 22 minutes of recording time. Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by VoodooIT; 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM.
                    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

You could look at a raid setup with some WD raptor hard drives that run at 10,000rpm, I think a new one came out that has a 600GB capacity!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

Comment

Yes, I have abandoned the idea of full screen high res Fraps recording, adn am just seeing now what can be done to get the very best in-game video recording (without too much $$$).

All good advice -- thanks again!
                        sigpic

Comment

Are you running the game off the same HDD you are recording to?

Comment

Originally posted by Gungnir View Post
                            Are you running the game off the same HDD you are recording to?
                            No. Two drives, fraps on system recording to secondary drive 7200rpm, do not know the transfer rate, but the system drive is a WD black, I think.
                            sigpic

Comment

Brokeback I for one would be very interested to hear the results of any attempts you could make at recording full screen with Playclaw. I have been recording Arma 2 and PR at 1920 by 1200 on high settings and the frame rate hit with Fraps is considerable. Cheers.

Comment

Anyone tried the afterburner recorder? I have a few friends who recommend it, might be worth a try?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X