Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Upgrade will Give the Best Increase in Fraps FPS?

With regards to Playclaw, for me its extremely relevant whether or not it caps your framerate to the recording rate as Fraps is supposed to. If this is the case then I would be most interested in the 60FPS mode as I don't really want to play at 30FPS if I can help it. The effect of compression on quality and frame rates/CPU etc would be interesting. I'll try and get mine done this weekend.

Comment

I'll try to get some tests in this weekend also, but Vegas beckons, and from my experience Vegas and productivity are mutually exclusive. The tests may have to wait until a week from now.

Comment

For your first test on playclaw, do it with no compression and @ 30 frames per second. This test will let you know if playclaw has the same limitation of FRAPS where your gameplay fps is locked to your recording fps. If they are in fact locked, you would notice a much lower framerate than you typically see in a non-recording situation.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I've been using Fraps lately with my new toy:
          Mobo - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
          GPU - 2x GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB (SLI)
          HDD - 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" RAID 0 /for games+storage
          HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /for Backups
          SSD - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II (Operating System)
          CPU - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
          Heatsink - CORSAIR CWCH50-1
          RAM - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
          PSU - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
          Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

The SSD is for the OS.
          Games are installed and run on the Raid 0. Fraps is also writing to the Raid.
          I run Fraps at 30 frames, full screen. I can feel the performance change, but its still very playable. I'm not rubberbanding or any of that, just playing with the reduced framerate (30).

In my opinion, as others have noted, your hard drive is everything for video recording. A 2:30 - 3minute video is 4GB of writing. If you are on a single 7,200 Hdd, youre cooked. Don't go with those 'green' drives either! They are slower, which uses less energy, which is fine for backups or generaly storage but not apps.
          Side comment on the Raptors, I don't think they are worthwhile anymore based on performance to cost compared to SSDs rapidly declining in cost and increasing in reliability/usability.

Throw me in for interest in alternate recording programs. These 2:30 videos @ 4GB a piece are killing me, I have to purge regularly (which isn't a bad thing, but I end up recording less often and miss some fun stuff I would have wanted to record!)
          Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
          A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Did not read all the posts but 2 things I would suggest is check the timings on your ram if the times are higher it could cause the problems your having. The second thing is to try to modestly OC one part at a time and see the effect it has on the FPS, if you do so only change one variable at a time so you know what part is responsible for the increase in speed.
            sigpic

Comment

I haven't tested it myself as I'm not really up for wasting a ton of write cycles on the Vertex II, but it seems like a Sandforce II based SSD would probably give you pretty damn good write performance with FRAPs. The reason the writes and reads are so high on the Sandforce drives is because they compress data before writing it to the SSD, and since FRAPs footage is only slightly compressed, you should be able to achieve really high write speeds without any degrade in the speed over the entire write.
              All this being said, it would just be cheaper and just as good performance wise (For large writes anyway...) to grab 2 or even 3 1TB Western Digital Blacks and run them in RAID 0.
              It's Gaming
              Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Finally got round to some experimentation.

The following is a little Arma 2:Operation Arrowhead with some Mods (mostly third person). Settings most on high, resolution 1920 by 1200, recorded with FRAPS at full screen, frame rate locked at 60FPS. Recording back onto C drive where Arma is installed.

Performance about 40-60 FPS when not recording, 20 to 50 when recording. Edited with Sony Vegas HD platinum.

Apologies for the lack of any interesting effects or cuts, still getting to grips with the program.

Next I will try the exact same thing but recording to an external HD via USB.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                  Finally got round to some experimentation.

The following is a little Arma 2:Operation Arrowhead with some Mods (mostly third person). Settings most on high, resolution 1920 by 1200, recorded with FRAPS at full screen, frame rate locked at 60FPS. Recording back onto C drive where Arma is installed.

Performance about 40-60 FPS when not recording, 20 to 50 when recording. Edited with Sony Vegas HD platinum.

Apologies for the lack of any interesting effects or cuts, still getting to grips with the program.

Next I will try the exact same thing but recording to an external HD via USB.
                  You are recording full screen 1920*1200 to your C drive where aram2 is, is your op system on that same drive ?
                  Whats the spec of your c drive ? 7200 RPM or SSD or what ?

I look forward to your external drive experiment too

Comment

As Dictate pointed out in his post, something I missed was the fact that Fraps does indeed use a bit of compression while recording videos. I had always assumed it was completely raw video because it isn't encoded on the fly. This would definitely change the picture in terms of how much bandwidth would be required in hard drive writing speed. The amount of compression they use is vague, but I would still imagine that recording at high resolution (1680x1050 or higher) at 60 frames per second would still be limited by your hard drive write speed. I plan on doing some Fraps recording tests in different games to see what kind of results I get.
                    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                      You are recording full screen 1920*1200 to your C drive where aram2 is, is your op system on that same drive ?
                      Whats the spec of your c drive ? 7200 RPM or SSD or what ?

I look forward to your external drive experiment too

Yup, everything on the ole C drive lol, Samsumng Spinpoint 1TB at 7200RPM (I think). O/S Arma:OA plus a bunch of mods and then writing at Blu Ray quality to the same drive. I will do a test next checking recording to an external HD via USB. If I remember correctly this was slower (USB speed I suspect is the culprit).

I don't have a second internal hard drive yet so can't check the performance on that method so the final test will be recording to USB flash drive.

Comment

I could have sworn we had a bigger thread on RAM latency recently, but I guess this is the one where we were talking about it in the last page.
                        Anyway, just came across this article from yesterday and thought most would want to see it:
                        Putting Memory Latency into Perspective
                        Should help explain it for those with questions, but bottom line for ya is

Will you notice a difference between 9ns and 10ns? No, absolutely not. It would barely show up in benchmarks. But this can be a useful tool if you're considering whether to spend extra money on higher speed, slower timing memory. In the listed examples above, the latencies are all within +/-1½ns of each other. It would make more sense to go with whatever option is the least expensive.

You can also see that with modern DDR3 memory, most of the higher speeds are all within 8-9ns of latency, the difference of which is indiscernible to human perception. As memory speeds continue to get faster and faster, the variation between the different speeds and timings makes less and less of a difference.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X