Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verizon wireless 4g faster than cable?! Yup!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon wireless 4g faster than cable?! Yup!

Holy moly! This is inspiring! I don't have Verizon, but hopefully this will encourage cable isp's (and everyone else) to up their game.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40486943...ess/?gt1=43001
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Verizon wireless 4g faster than cable?! Yup!

What? This is not 4g. Where are the 100mbps DL rates?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
      What? This is not 4g. Where are the 100mbps DL rates?
      Uh, yes it is. It is 4G (aka 4th generation). As for 100 mbps speeds, that connection exceeds it. 33.83 MB/s = ~270 mbps. Don't confuse megabytes per second with megabits per second.

(You know if your sharing this kind of connection, wouldn't it make sense to make sure everyone's hardwired via a gigabit adapter and gigabit router/switch?)

Here's a downer with any WIMAX or otherwise wireless connection: when it rains or snows, kiss your connectivity goodbye.

So as nice as that speed is, I wouldn't advise anyone here in Chicago at getting anything similar. You'd have a ton of drops when it's pouring or snowing out and even when it's cloudy and gloomy.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

what does clouds / rain / snow have to do with terrestrial transmissions in the 800/900/1800/1900 EM band? the signal is not line of sight. my signal does not drop in storms. Lightning I could see as momentary interruption, but that could also interfere with cable / dsl.

Satellite is interrupted because the signal is spread so very thin that it takes a parabolic antenna 2 feet wide to collect enough of it to create a video feed when the weather is good.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

My $0.02;

Chewy_Solo points out that these are not 4G networks and I tend to agree with him. ITU-R is still finalizing the 4G standards and neither the WiMax solution nor LTE are actually achieving these 4G standards. Generally speaking, when you're measuring bandwidth speeds over a carrier network it is almost exclusively measured in bits per second, not bytes.

ITU-R states that 4G needs to carry sustained connections of 100Mbps in a mobile state and 1Gbps in a stationary state. The carriers jumped the gun and all wanted to claim they were 4G when in reality it's still 3G plus some extra bandwidth. The radio interface specs for 4G won't be finalized until February of 2011.

It's a lot like the HTML5 standards which are not yet finalized, organizations claim they develop to standardized HTML5 even though the standard hasn't been finalized. Lots can, will, and HAVE changed.

I do appreciate the added speeds of these new WiMax and LTE implementations. But I'm still waiting for someone in the US to launch an actual 4G capable network. That being said; with the current data plans available with most carriers, true 4G could be rather dangerous to the pocketbook. When you can essentially use your entire data allotment for a month in under a single hour of use, what do you do with the other ~719 hours in the month? Pay through the nose?
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Uh, yes it is. It is 4G (aka 4th generation). As for 100 mbps speeds, that connection exceeds it. 33.83 MB/s = ~270 mbps. Don't confuse megabytes per second with megabits per second.
            SpeedTest rates in bits per second, not bytes per second.

4G may summarily stand for 4th Generation, but there's a standard behind it. If there wasn't, A carrier would only have to have had 3 prior wireless implementation to call themselves 4G. That would put companies like Verizon at 8G, not 4G.

Comment

Funniest thing about this is that Verizion's LTE plan isn't unlimited data. So while you get blazing speed, you're stuck with a 5GB cap... which would take 32min to burn through at wide open throttle. xD

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                Funniest thing about this is that Verizion's LTE plan isn't unlimited data. So while you get blazing speed, you're stuck with a 5GB cap... which would take 32min to burn through at wide open throttle. xD
                That scares me. Because If I can do bandwidth intensive activities on my phone, I will.

I'm still on AT&T with an iPhone 4, and I'm hesitant to move because right now I *DO* have an unlimited data plan and I want to keep it that way.

Comment

Same, the UK recently fell in line with you guys by capping our usage limits on the mobile networks. I burn through 2gb a month on 3G and that's me being tight so I don't get charged more. You give me 4G....man my bill.......

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    SpeedTest rates in bits per second, not bytes per second.

4G may summarily stand for 4th Generation, but there's a standard behind it. If there wasn't, A carrier would only have to have had 3 prior wireless implementation to call themselves 4G. That would put companies like Verizon at 8G, not 4G.
                    Dang. Jumped the gun on that one. Thought I saw MB/s instead of Mb/s. Eh, well I'll concede than that this isn't 4G, not even close.

I did not know that 4G had to sustain a 1 Gb/s rate for stationaries. That is interesting. So it could mean we've finally caught up with Europe when there are actual 4G mobile networks?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Dang. Jumped the gun on that one. Thought I saw MB/s instead of Mb/s. Eh, well I'll concede than that this isn't 4G, not even close.

I did not know that 4G had to sustain a 1 Gb/s rate for stationaries. That is interesting. So it could mean we've finally caught up with Europe when there are actual 4G mobile networks?
                      Well... The carriers jumped the gun by calling themselves 4G when they shouldn't have. Blame their marketing departments.

Comment

meh... I don't have a problem them calling their "next generation" networks 4G... and the one after that 5G. It makes sense.

What else should they have called it? 3.1G? 3G++? "4G" is the only thing that makes sense.

Comment

I don't understand why they decided to standardize 1 Gbps stationary/100 Mbps moving as their requirements for 4G certification. That seems like an incredibly difficult goal to achieve in the near future. One of my local ISPs offering Fiber connections (it used to be Verizon FIOS, but they sold their infrastructure) offers a 30Mbps plan ($90/month) which is incredibly fast compared to DSL or Cable, and even that is nowhere near what they would consider proper 4G.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            meh... I don't have a problem them calling their "next generation" networks 4G... and the one after that 5G. It makes sense.

What else should they have called it? 3.1G? 3G++? "4G" is the only thing that makes sense.
                            Well, if each carrier gets to classify their own "generation" of technology, it would cease to mean anything. A new carrier going online today delivering 250MB mobile and 4GB stationary would only be a "1G" network. HSPDA was often referred to as "3.5G+" even without classification from ITU-R. If ITU is the determining factor for 3G/4G requirements, the carriers should meet those requirements before using those classifications.

Comment

(You know if your sharing this kind of connection, wouldn't it make sense to make sure everyone's hardwired via a gigabit adapter and gigabit router/switch?)

Here's a downer with any WIMAX or otherwise wireless connection: when it rains or snows, kiss your connectivity goodbye.

So as nice as that speed is, I wouldn't advise anyone here in Chicago at getting anything similar. You'd have a ton of drops when it's pouring or snowing out and even when it's cloudy and gloomy.
                              That is not real world performance. I am sure I could get much faster speeds on my Comcast cable than advertised if I was the only one on the service, but that is far from reality. And yes, as someone pointed out, that is in Megabits, not bytes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X