Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor randomly shuts down and malfunctions, need help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor randomly shuts down and malfunctions, need help!

This happened recently. All of a sudden, my AOC monitor shuts down and refuses to turn on. Strangely enough, the only way I can get it back on is to reboot the computer. I've gotten multiple BSODs, had to reformat my hard drive, and yet the problem still persists...is it my monitor's fault? a virus? =(

I don't know if this helps, but my resolution is 1366 x 768 and I have two display settings,
    1) AOC V19 on NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i (I think this is the current one)
    2) (Default Monitor) on NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i

Anything else?

Re: Monitor randomly shuts down and malfunctions, need help!

Does it tell you that there is no signal? Can you access the monitor's settings? Or does the monitor stop working altogether?

If those BSODs are related, I would assume that it is your graphics card and/or graphics drivers. Can you look for those BSODs in event viewer for more details?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
      Does it tell you that there is no signal? Can you access the monitor's settings? Or does the monitor stop working altogether?

If those BSODs are related, I would assume that it is your graphics card and/or graphics drivers. Can you look for those BSODs in event viewer for more details?
      It does say that there is "no signal", and when I turn it on, it lights up and gives me the same message before shutting down again. As for accessing the monitor's settings...i'm a bit of a newbie(seriously) so I don't understand that...>_< the computer does not shut down though. Only the monitor.

Comment

Could be a physical error with your video card, such as overheating, bad power, or a faulty card, or a problem with your device drivers.

Download a GPU temp monitor like Speedfan and check on the temperatures of you Card, anything in the 90's or 100's will cause the card to shut down as part of a fail safe.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

o.O That speedfan is helpful...I am getting temps of 40-50C.......>_<

Comment

Have you updated your graphics drivers? www.nvidia.com
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

...I just checked the graphics card and it IS out of date...I will update them ASAP...

I give thanks to everyone who helped me =D

Um...ONE more question. How is updating my graphics driver going to help reduce the chances that my monitor crashes like this again?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
                ...I just checked the graphics card and it IS out of date...I will update them ASAP...

I give thanks to everyone who helped me =D

Um...ONE more question. How is updating my graphics driver going to help reduce the chances that my monitor crashes like this again?
                Your graphics card may be sending some corrupt signal to your monitor causing it to lock up. Your BSODs and your repeated hard resets could also cause your monitor to lock up. The new drivers should reduce or eliminate your BSOD issues as well.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This has nothing to do with your monitor, but entirely to do with your GPU. Chances are your GPU is either overheating or it is your drivers simply crashing. I would use another program other than speedfan to check temperatures. It tends to be unreliable. Try GPU-z (link) it is updated more often and reads more information about your GPU such as other temperatures.

If the driver update does not solve the issue, monitor your GPU with that program, if it gets above 90C (Depending upon the GPU, most these days are safe up until 105C), I would think it may be related.

Comment

I have an old AOC monitor and a few years ago it gave me trouble, strange colours and random shut downs, it was the graphics card, got a new cheap card and updated the drivers and the monitor runs fine now, if it is an old CRT monitor (not LCD) it should last a very long time, I have mine nearly 10 years and use it as my second monitor. ;)

Also make sure the power cable is properly connected and the cable that connects to your card is properly fitted, if the plug has screws on it, then use them to fasten the plug to the socket as moving the PC may loosen the connection especially if the cable has no slack on it! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X