I try opening MBAM but all it does is freeze my desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I try opening MBAM but all it does is freeze my desktop

Okay I know I should probably be going on the MBAM forum on this, but I really don't want to add another account among the dozens I have for many programs and websites. To add on about what happened to my monitor, I seem to have forced the computer to shut down when MBAM was installing updates. Now when I open the program, it refuses to open, and it freezes my ENTIRE desktop. I can no longer open ANY icons there unless I restart the computer. I emailed tech support, and they recommend that I try restarting the computer, pressing F8, selecting Advanced Boot Menu, then choosing Enable Boot Logging, but it doesn't work. All my computer does is head straight for the login(stupid useless vista)!!!

I try uninstalling MBAM, but it does not work. Instead, while it extracts the file, it simply freezes and it shows the status "not responding". I try using Task Manager to end the process, but it DOESN'T work. If the tech support guy's advice works, how can I access Advanced Boot Menu when vista won't even let me?

Is anyone here really experienced with using MBAM? I am thinking of using FileASSASSIN in case Task Manager fails on me, but their warning scared the living heck out of me. "Please use with caution as deleting critical system files may cause system errors". Is it even recommended that I use FileASSASSIN to remove the corrupted MBAM files / folder, then redownload the program? What do they mean by "critical system files" so I don't mess up my own OS beyond recovery?

I know I'm annoying, asking too many questions and all...but hey, blame whoever made Vista this horrible please. =)

P.S: If you have anything to add that I DIDN'T mention, go ahead.

Re: I try opening MBAM but all it does is freeze my desktop

1. Did you download directly from Malwarebytes's website: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ?

2. Are you using a version you paid for or did you torrent a cracked (illegal) copy?
    (If you did torrent a cracked copy, that's most likely your problem. It likely contained a virus. In which case, run a full virus scan and get rid of any viruses.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      1. Did you download directly from Malwarebytes's website: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ?

2. Are you using a version you paid for or did you torrent a cracked (illegal) copy?
      (If you did torrent a cracked copy, that's most likely your problem. It likely contained a virus. In which case, run a full virus scan and get rid of any viruses.)
      I downloaded it straight from the main website. I only use the free version, if I want the full version I'll pay for it instead of stealing it from a torrent. =P

Comment

Don't know if you're still having the issue, but here is my input;

- You never mention that you actually have a virus, what signs are you seeing that point to malware infection?
        You might try running a Windows System Restore to a point about a week before you had issues. Maybe the issue is a bad update, that's one idea.

- Again, if it isn't malware related, a check of your hardware is always a good idea.
        You can easily run command prompt (as admin) and run chkdsk /f
        I'd also suggest downloading and burning a ISO of Ultimate Boot CD, you can run some hardware diagnostics with that also.
        Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
        A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X