Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D 120 Hz Monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3D 120 Hz Monitors

    I was wondering if anybody here has any first hand experience using one of the newer 120 Hz 3D capable monitors. I have no interest in actual 3D content or viewing, I'm just curious if it's worth getting for the 120 Hz refresh rate in games.

    This is one that I've been looking at:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=asus%20120hz

    I realize that these monitors use a cheaper TN panel and that you'll be giving up some image quality and viewing angle over PVA and IPS panels, but I read from one site that the 120 Hz refresh rate looks awesome for games. Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful!
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload




  • #2
    Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

    I thought we covered this already. You need 3D glasses to use 3D displays (at least the current incarnation of them). Unfortunately, with the craze with 3D displays, it seems manufacturers are making their 120 Hz models into 3D ready or 3d capable displays. There are still quite a few 2D only 120 Hz displays out there, but NewEgg doesn't seem to carry anymore of those models.

    The ASUS is nice, but you have to ask yourself is that 3 year two-way ship warranty worth the extra $100.

    Here's some cheaper models as well that are pretty good as far as TN panels go:

    $270 Viewsonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116452

    $400 LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005181
    Review: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1280136712
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

    Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





    SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

    TG Primer and Rules

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

      Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      I thought we covered this already. You need 3D glasses to use 3D displays (at least the current incarnation of them). Unfortunately, with the craze with 3D displays, it seems manufacturers are making their 120 Hz models into 3D ready or 3d capable displays. There are still quite a few 2D only 120 Hz displays out there, but NewEgg doesn't seem to carry anymore of those models.

      The ASUS is nice, but you have to ask yourself is that 3 year two-way ship warranty worth the extra $100.

      Here's some cheaper models as well that are pretty good as far as TN panels go:

      $270 Viewsonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116452

      $400 LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005181
      Review: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1280136712
      I have heard that you should stay away from Viewsonic and LG as far as TN panels go. If you really want it, I would go with the ASUS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

        Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
        I have heard that you should stay away from Viewsonic and LG as far as TN panels go. If you really want it, I would go with the ASUS.
        Don't know where you heard that, but generally LG and Samsung produces most of the world's LCD panels. Viewsonic's monitors have always been held in high regard as great displays (both TN panels and higher-end stuff; PVA, IPS, etc). They can be a bit pricey and not the most generous in terms of input ports, but they're still a solid brand.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

        Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





        SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

        TG Primer and Rules

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

          List of 120Hz monitors. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

          I have the Samsung® SyncMaster 2233RZ 120 Hz and I love it. It's one of the first 120Hz 3D monitors. If your really into first person shooters I recommend a 120Hz monitor. I notice the difference in smoothness when gaming with high 60+ fps compared to my older second monitor. Turn the vsync off and have fun. If you have the graphics power, 60fps may be your new min fps rather then your max. There is even a difference in just moving my mouse around the screen or scrolling through text from 60 to 120. My only gripe is that mine doesn't do 3D Blu-ray playback, but I got a tv for that.

          If you get the Monitor and kit I'll lend you one of my rare Avatar 3D Blu-ray movie discs.

          |TG-12th| Troublesome4u

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

            Your Sammy does 1680 x 1050. Explains your 60+ fps. I was about to comment that it's pretty hard to pull 60+ fps in some of today's games at 1920 x 1080 or greater with high-to-max settings.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

            Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





            SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

            TG Primer and Rules

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

              Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Your Sammy does 1680 x 1050. Explains your 60+ fps. I was about to comment that it's pretty hard to pull 60+ fps in some of today's games at 1920 x 1080 or greater with high-to-max settings.
              i just recently bought two GTX 460's for SLI. Your right though 60+ fps at higher resolutions will always be difficult to attain with newer games at max settings. If you enable the 3D it cuts your fps in half. Also refresh becomes 60hz per eye.

              |TG-12th| Troublesome4u

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

                Well Voodoo doesn't plan on doing 3D, so he won't have to deal with the cut in fps. Though at HD res and higher, anything less my HD5830 isn't really gonna cut it if you plan on playing on high settings and beyond. I already have trouble squeezing 60 fps in some of my older games @ 1920 x 1200.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

                Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                TG Primer and Rules

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

                  @Troublesome:

                  This was pretty much what I wanted to hear before committing to buying one of these. Out of curiosity, what kind of monitor were you using before you bought the Samsung 3D monitor?

                  Also curious if there are any plans for manufacturers to build 120 Hz monitors with PVA or IPS panels?

                  @Acreo and Chewy

                  Thanks for the additional thoughts and info
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 3D 120 Hz Monitors

                    When I bought the Samsung 2233RZ I also purchased the Samsung 2433BW. I directly compared the two and preferred the 22' 120Hz over the 24' 60Hz. Here is a link to the discussion http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...g-monitor.html The second older monitor I'm using now is a BenQ FP937s. I have had allot of old second monitors.

                    |TG-12th| Troublesome4u

                    Comment

                    Connect

                    Collapse

                    TeamSpeak 3 Server

                    Collapse

                    Advertisement

                    Collapse

                    Twitter Feed

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X