BF2 won't start...HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 won't start...HELP!

I have been away from BF2 for awhile and missed playing so I re-installed it. Everything went fine. Got the 1.41 patch installed and decided to play servers with that version for a spell. It was working just fine for a few weeks....then poof. All the sudden it wouldn't start. I click the icon and the initial splash screen comes up, disappears, then nothing. Won't load. I uninstalled it....uninstalled my video driver too. Cleaned everything BF2 out of my computer by uninstalling, deleting, etc. and running CCleaner. Ran a driver cleaner to rid my computer of the ATI driver and deleted everything related to ATI otherwise. I upgraded to a relatively newer and the most stable version of the Catalyst full software suite/ driver (9.2) for my old computer. I made sure my discs were clean before the reinstall of BF2. After all that its still not starting. I can't think of anything else. BTW I did not install Gamespy Arcade when asked, but that shouldn't matter. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Here are my specs.:

Dell Dimension 8300
    P4 3.4 Extreme cpu
    X1950 pro (AGP)
    2 gigs RAM
    PC Power & Cooling 420W psu
    Samsung 22" monitor

Re: BF2 won't start...HELP!

Are you running Windows Vista or 7? If you are, try disabling UAC or running BF2 as a administrator.

Perhaps a recent update changed the UAC settings causing it to stop BF2 from executing.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No, this old thing is running XP Home. I loaded BF2 as admin. and have been trying to start it as admin. I played BF2 for a long time on this same computer. Two things: one, I've discovered I have no BF2 cache folder. There was always a cache folder in the past. Would that matter at all? I don't see how it would but.....

Also, in spite of it installing without any issues seemingly, could it be that my disc drive is not working adequately? I would think that if it wasn't, I would have had some kind of error and it wouldn't install to begin with.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

You won't have a cache folder since you haven't been able to successfully run it since reinstalling it. Have you tried turning off any software and/or Windows Firewall and any anti-virus programs you have running?

Sometimes a firewall or AV program would tag a game as malicious and block its attempt to run.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have BF2 and BF2 VOIP servers as an "exception" in my firewall. I disable my virus protection and close all background programs running. When I installed it I disabled all virus and anti-spyware programs.

I just got done going through the whole process of uninstalling again. This time I used different BF2 discs with a different CD code just to see what would happen. Same thing. This really has me stumped and its frustrating. There has to be some kind of missing or corrupted system file that's preventing it from booting. But I'm not enough of a techie to know for sure or what to look for.

Comment

Did you make any other system changes around the time it stopped working?

If you have another optical drive available it might be worth trying it instead or making an image of the CDs and installing from it instead.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Go to My Documents/Battlefield 2/Profiles/0001 (or 0002) and delete your Video.con

I have a feeling like your monitor is a 60hz and the video is possibly set high preventing bf2 from starting.

Comment

Namebot: I can't think of any changes I made. Also, I failed to mention that I did install the game from a second drive this last time.

Canada: There is no 0001 or 0002 file. I opened up a default folder under Profiles which had a video con file in it. It opens as a notepad and one line says .setresolution [email protected] which should be okay, yeah? This was never changed when it was working fine...so who knows.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm beginning to think I will have to reformat the HDD if I want to play....

Comment

Another thing....someone mentioned to me that maybe I have to install the 1.5 patch. I don't think this should be an issue as it was working fine with 1.41 and I was playing on 1.41 servers along with many others. But....what do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Mulligunz View Post
                    Another thing....someone mentioned to me that maybe I have to install the 1.5 patch. I don't think this should be an issue as it was working fine with 1.41 and I was playing on 1.41 servers along with many others. But....what do you guys think?
                    You should as likely most of the servers online are running the 1.5 patch. It may mysteriously fix your issue.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Problem solved! I decided to install it on another computer in our house which I don't use much. It did the same thing, so I knew it was a program both computers share. Obviously a security program. Sure enough, I uninstalled Avira and BF2 booted right up. Apparently Avira downloaded a recent update that won't allow BF2 to work. Disabling Avira was not enough.

Comment

Thanks for posting your solution.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed