AMD Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 launch

Just in time for Christmas, AMD has released it's high end toys for gamers.
    Link:
    AMD Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 launch assault on enthusiast gaming market

That link has links to reviews from all the major sites. I just got a 5870 a few months ago, and from the reviews looks like it isn't that much of an improvement over mine. Though the price is really low, probably less than I paid.

I skimmed through all the reviews listed, but didn't see anything about ARMA. If anyone finds some benchmarks on that, please post.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: AMD Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 launch

I have everyone in my family getting me newegg gift cards....I have been eying up dual 6850 cards....which is better? this or dual 6850's?
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
      I have everyone in my family getting me newegg gift cards....I have been eying up dual 6850 cards....which is better? this or dual 6850's?
      If you're purely looking for performance, the dual Radeon HD 6850's will outperform a single Radeon HD 6970. Also, dual 6850's will cost roughly the same (~$180-$200 for each card) as a single 6970 ($370). But, a single 6970 is less hassle, takes up less space in your case, draws less power, creates less heat & noise. Also, crossfire setups sometimes have driver/compatibility issues. You'll just have to weigh out what is more important to you. Raw performance vs. less hassle.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

The power tune feature introduced on these new cards is interesting. More so in its (hopefully) future introduction into laptops.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

In general, I'd recommend going single card over a dual card setup, as it allows ease of upgradability by simply adding a 2nd card in crossfire when the time calls for it (as opposed to taking out both cards and swapping in a new single card). I have yet to run cards in crossfire, and i've heard issues arise, so like voodoo says, that's something to keep in mind.

However, with the release, priced are pretty inflated, and as namebot says, it sounds like you're paying a lot more for what's new than for performance value.

Comment

I'll let you guys know how the 6970 performs in a few days. :) I bought one last night. Too bad it hasn't shipped out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
              In general, I'd recommend going single card over a dual card setup, as it allows ease of upgradability by simply adding a 2nd card in crossfire when the time calls for it (as opposed to taking out both cards and swapping in a new single card).
              I wish this were true, at least for Nvidia cards anyways. I told myself the same thing when I built my rig 3 years ago. Now I've just upgraded to a GTX460 instead of just adding a 2nd 8800gt 1gb because they still want an arm and a leg for them, even used ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                I'll let you guys know how the 6970 performs in a few days. :) I bought one last night. Too bad it hasn't shipped out yet.
                J keep me updated on that
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                  Dual 6950's. Reason: 6850's are 1GB, so in Crossfire they still only use 1GB (it doesn't double the RAM). Whereas the 6950's are 2GB, and in Crossfire will be able to use the full 2GB... which is preferable at high resolutions or multiple monitors. The 6970 is very good as well.

See these charts:

^^^Notice that at 1900x1200 the 6950 Crossfire (CF) gets 120.2 fps vs the 6850 Crossfire 93.8 fps. Money wise it's $600 vs $400 for the difference of 26 fps. The 6950 is very close to the top multicard FPS for a lot less $.

So, you gotta figure what price per fps you want to spend. Also, if you ever plan on adding multiple monitors, then the more GPU RAM the better.

The Hard OCP article states:

If there is a real champion in this evaluation, it is the AMD Radeon HD 6950. AMD has set the MSRP at $299 for the 2GB Radeon HD 6950. 1GB models may even be cheaper. The least expensive GeForce GTX 570 is currently $349. That is a difference of $50. In all of our tests, the new Radeon HD 6950 either matched or beat the GeForce GTX 570.

I was about to get the GTX 570, but now I have to re-think things a bit...:row__574:

:icon_frow
                  |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                  sigpic

Comment

Damn you zippy....I was going to be content with spending around $400 dollars, most of which was going to be gift cards. But now.......GRRRR :)

Comment

What happened to my 4890 that was a beast about a year and half ago??

Comment

lol thats what I have now....and it works great. But being married with 2 teenagers it's rare I get "extra" money to upgrade so I am doing it while I can :)

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                          I wish this were true, at least for Nvidia cards anyways. I told myself the same thing when I built my rig 3 years ago. Now I've just upgraded to a GTX460 instead of just adding a 2nd 8800gt 1gb because they still want an arm and a leg for them, even used ones.
                          Yea this is actually a good point. People who look to add a second card for crossfire/sli down the road often run into a problem of not being able to find the same exact graphics card model, or similar models have been discontinued and/or they are more expensive now because they are in limited supply. The truth is that if you decide to buy one card now and another one later, you should probably do it within the first year of your purchase.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X