Cheap PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap PC?

Hey all I am looking to buy a Cheap PC for my Mom for Christmas. All she does for now is e-mail, a little bit of pictures, facebook, web surf, and Internet. She also plays small online games that are not graphics intense. I just want something that is not going to take forever to boot and that I will not have to replace in 2 years.

I am also willing to build it if the price is right. Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks Sledge

Re: Cheap PC?

Well, without a definite price range your looking to fall into I'd say any off the shelf special from Best Buy or Wally World will do.

I bought a dual core AMD HP for my wife for less than $500 ($450 iirc) from Best Buy, popped in my old 8800GT, a couple of extra gigs of ram I had laying around and she should get several years out of it doing the same things your moms is looking to do. It even runs L4D2 at pretty decent frame rates.

Heck for around $350 you can grab one of their factory refurbished deals that still come with a full warranty.

Comment

I just built a dual core AMD for my grandparents for Christmas for $350 with a new cope of Windows 7 OEM. Scour Newegg for good combo deals.
      sigpic

Comment

check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856173007
        basically, it is this:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856107072
        with a bluray, ram and hard drive already. I own the jetway, and since I had 2gig of ram and a 640gig hdd laying around, I had a readymade computer for the livingroom 46" lcd. streams 1080p from my main computer with ease. dual core with hyperthreading will take a very long time to be outdated for websurfing email, and pictures. also, it has a standard vesa mount, wifi-n, gb ethernet, hdmi out, esata, and a remote. I love mine - very peppy with xp (win7 is also very responsive - I just use mine to stream hulu, youtube, netflix, and movies from my main computer, so xp is plenty)
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

i think a dell could be great!i just got one to mom,although she can't use that,i think she would learn how to deal with computers.so... it's dead cheap,only $380.i think you could have a try,that a brand that i like.

Comment

try this.....all you need is an OS so your into it for around $330 and I have done builds with that processor...it;s pretty snappy for it's range. It's a shell shocker deal so it will only be up until 1pm EST.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...765-_-12162010

this one needs a HD and OS but hell it's a quad core for $227
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.513339
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I'd stick with the Athlon II X2 over any of the older Phenom's or Athlons however cheap or extra cores they may provide.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                ...all you need is an OS...
                That's the only reason why I didn't recommend building one if budget is a concern.

Comment

Have you considered an iPad? Boots quick, quite intuitive and should meet her needs.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                    Have you considered an iPad? Boots quick, quite intuitive and should meet her needs.
                    Have that got that Flash thing sorted out yet?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X