Wireless Dual Band Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Dual Band Router

The only difference between these two routers appears to be the gigabit Ethernet ports on the more expensive option:

Netgear N600 WNDR3700 $150

Netgear N600 WNDR3400 $80

My desktops will use those ports, but does the speed justify the significant price increase? I use standard broadband from Time Warner Cable.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Wireless Dual Band Router

The Gb port is justifiable if you move around large files from computer to computer over your network (or stream). Otherwise, your typical 100 mbit ports are enough.

(100 mbit = 12.5 MB/s and 1 gbit = 125 MB/s transfer rates)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So it would help with streaming videos to my PC? I'm getting the N band to stream to my Sony Blu-Ray (and for use with my Android phone), but improved streaming to my computer would be nice. Although probably not $70 nice...

Thanks AA!
      |TG|Melee

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
        So it would help with streaming videos to my PC? I'm getting the N band to stream to my Sony Blu-Ray (and for use with my Android phone), but improved streaming to my computer would be nice. Although probably not $70 nice...

Thanks AA!
        Well, if the PC you're streaming from is streaming multiple videos at once, then sure it'll help assuming you can transmit to the HTPC/media box and that box can receive fast enough.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you're willing to look at other routers, this is a well reviewed Wireless N Router with Gigabit ports:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-215-_-Product

I have a similar D-Link router that comes with a useless LCD and some other extras and I'm very happy with mine so far. Also this one has the most reviews out of any Wireless N router on Newegg and it's only $70.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Whatever you get; instantly ditch the stock firmware and flash it with dd-wrt. :)
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

My Linksys WRT54GS finally died (soft-brick itself after changing any setting and committing on DD-WRT and needed a 30-30-30 reset each time, and wouldn't accept the latest versions) , and I'm kind of sore on the opinions of DD-WRT. When I tried it it was kind of new and worked okay, but I needed the micro build. Then I found support for virtually everything, all the tutorials, and all anyone would talk about ws builds for netgears/D-Links and nothing on the WRTs. Heck, the official IRC support channel didn't support my WRT, told me to drop it for a D-Link instead :/

I went out and got a Netgear Rangemax WNDR3300 dual-band. It's not too bad. Don't have any wireless N NICs at the moment, but at least this one is able to LAN stream more than about 600kb/s that my old WRT was doing with DD-WRT.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                My Linksys WRT54GS finally died (soft-brick itself after changing any setting and committing on DD-WRT and needed a 30-30-30 reset each time, and wouldn't accept the latest versions) , and I'm kind of sore on the opinions of DD-WRT. When I tried it it was kind of new and worked okay, but I needed the micro build. Then I found support for virtually everything, all the tutorials, and all anyone would talk about ws builds for netgears/D-Links and nothing on the WRTs. Heck, the official IRC support channel didn't support my WRT, told me to drop it for a D-Link instead :/

I went out and got a Netgear Rangemax WNDR3300 dual-band. It's not too bad. Don't have any wireless N NICs at the moment, but at least this one is able to LAN stream more than about 600kb/s that my old WRT was doing with DD-WRT.
                I'm running a Linksys WRT350N.

For many router models you may need to install the dd-wrt micro, do a 30-30-30 reset, restart the router, and then install dd-wrt mega if you want the full functionality. When you do those 30-30-30 resets and the router comes online, do a normal power cycle BEFORE doing anything else. You assume that the 30-30-30 would end with a clean reboot, but that's not really always the case. A manual power cycle AFTER a full 30-30-30 usually will resolve those issues.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Can't do the mega update. I had a WRT54GS, which means after version 3.0 from, oh, 6 years ago, the models have 2-4MB of flash (2 in my case) and 16MB of RAM so i was stuck with the micro build. (This is the model that people complained about after they started using VxWorks and spawned the GL-spec model to appease users of 3rd party firmware) Also, this was one of the models without a JTAG pin or anything of that sort. It was also about 2-3 years old in use at this point.

Whenever you would apply settings to virtually anything (we ran into this problem after port-forwarding), which happened.. about a week ago, the router would lose connection to everything and be un-connectable even wired. Was running V24 SP1-pre stable (something like build 9240) which worked for years up till this point. Re-flashing and resetting to SP1 stable didn't work and would perform the exact same thing. Flashing to v24 Pre-SP2 beta wouldn't work either, and that's the latest build for these models, over a year and a half out of date.

Then the wireless started crapping out. Can't say I'm surprised, the default wireless transmit is 25mw, dd-wrt had it set to 70mw minimum for 2 years.
                  Last edited by Bisclaveret; 12-22-2010, 01:57 PM.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    Whatever you get; instantly ditch the stock firmware and flash it with dd-wrt. :)
                    Agreed unless your particular router model isn't supported.

Though I never flash my old WRT65GL with DD-WRT. I used Tomato instead (since the onboard bandwidth monitor actually works).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

does anyone want to make (or post with credits - if you know of a reliable / complete tutorial) DD-WRT walk through? I recently just had my trusty U.S. Robotics go flaky on my after 5 years. I tried swapping out for a Belkin pre-N I had laying around, but alas... it likes to die every 30 min. or so as well. So, I dropped 80 bucks on a WRT310Nv2 (single band N + Gb lan) cheapest I could find with both - although I could have pulled an asus from newegg, but I could not wait the three days to get it here.

Anyway, the stock firmware in the thing is horrible slowing down to almost dial-up speeds within hours... forcing a reboot. no thanks. Upgraded the firmware to dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2 (only one I could find supporting the 310) and cannot believe how much I can do... With the little research I have done, I can see that it will be very easy for people to be lost in settings and tutorials / forums trying to sort it all out.

I do have selfish reasons for the request obviously, but I think having a reference for what to expect (from picking the router / then the firmware best suited to ones needs to configuring and tweaking) with DD-WRT and other 3rd party firmwares would be a great community resource. I will be happy to step up and build a guide, but if someone knows the ropes already, or knows where to find said ropes.... then maybe we can get to the finish line before 2012.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Dog,

You're saying you want a detailed guide on tweaking DD-WRT? Or that you want a detail guide for installing DD-WRT to your WRT310N v2?

If it is the former, once DD-WRT is flashed and running, most of the fields and options have descriptions off to the right-hand side. There's also a built-in help/guide document. As for detailed guides, there really isn't any.

As for the latter: just upload the firmware using the "firmware upgrade" area under "administration" (usually that's what the tab is called under most stock router firmwares). There's a generic 4-5 line guide on the DD-WRT Wiki, but there isn't a specific guide for every router since each major brand (and line) of router's CPs all vary.

WAIT!

According to DD-WRT, the v2 of the WRT310N only has a WIP (work in progress) firmware. So far, it has not been released. So you'll have to wait.

I actually just recently replaced my WRT54GL router with a Buffalo WRZ-HP-G-300NH that I flashed with DD-WRT. Unfortunately, the firmware isn't the most stable and under moderate load, the router locks up and needs to be power cycled (both DD-WRT and stock firmware - which is a customized DD-WRT FW). Wish I knew this before buying the router.

Range is superb and covers the entire house and I can get at least 3 bars anywhere with a mobile device and 4-5 with my netbook.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well, from my first attempts at researching dd-wrt in general, it looks as though it is at least generically a standardized gui. (aside from added features etc...) things are what they are and are located in the same place regardless of hardware. If this is incorrect, then never mind... as no one will ever have the same experience unless they are on the same hardware. I was asking for a beginner friendly guide to the gui. there are things in dd-wrt I have never dealt with before, and I am sure others who first enter this world will feel - as I do - a bit overwhelmed by the staggering amount of options available.

On a side note, I did see that my USR and belkin both have dd-wrt versions available, so I will see if maybe I can resurrect them... I really hope it is just a failing power supply in both cases, but since they are 1 step from the trash bin anyway... why not play with them...

as for the 310nv2 being a WIP, I did see this on the database page, but then I went to the wiki database, and it gave instructions for installing a build just a few numbers above the one I mentioned previously, so I think the database may be out of date. I do have dd-wrt installed and running nicely as we speak... and the slowdown issues thus far are resolved.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                            What is the benefit to doing so?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
                            |TG|Melee

Comment

from what I can tell, it is like buying a computer with windows 3.11 and installing windows 7 for free. (Yggdrasil Linux to Fedora 14 or Mac OS 7 to OSX 10.6.4 for you alt OS nerds out there... hehehe)

the hardware may not change, but holy crap, you get an infinitely better OS.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X