X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Connection working. wired connections not

major dilema

my computer and my dads computer won't connect to the internet, both are wired connections. But my wireless laptop is connected. All systems running XP 32bit.

we have a BT homehub 2.0 there are no wires shared by the two computers

I haven't changed anything since this morning when all was working fine, my dad was checking his e-mails about an hour ago. Then bam neither of us can connect.

in the network connections it says that there is limited to no connectivity. However on my Dads PC it says that a network cable is unplugged, despite thorough checking of all cabling.

so far i've done (roughly in order):

the repair button, it hangs on renewing your IP address and then fails
    disabling connection, enabling then repairing
    un(re)pluging all connections
    pressing the restart button on the router
    turn off router completely for 5mins, thorough check of wiring
    currently running full anti-nasty PC stuff scans

Some quick googling hasn't come up with anything of help, i typed ipconfig into the command prompt and got this

ethernet adapter local area connection:

connection-specific DNS suffix:
    autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.222.9
    subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    default gateway:
    any help in solving this overly appreciated

UPDATE: Just tried the ethernet cable in my laptop with the wireless disabled and was still able to access the internet normally.

So the problem lies within the two PCs but i don't know why or how to fix

Animal
    Last edited by AnimalMother; 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM.
    AnimalMother
    Ex TG-31st LR
    "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
    sigpic

Arte et Marte

Re: Wireless Connection working. wired connections not

First off, have you tried power cycling your router and your desktops? (Turn them off for 30 seconds, then power up your modem, router, and then PCs.)

If that does not work then...

There can be a number of possibilities here, mainly it's either going to be your router's ethernet ports have gone bad, the ethernet cables themselves are at fault, or the NICs inside both desktops are dead/faulty.

You said that you can connect wired from your laptop. Note the port that your dad's desktop is connected to on your router. Unplug his cable and plug your laptop's ethernet cable into that port. Can you connect to the internet?

If that's a yes, replace your dad's ethernet cable with a new one and try again. If that still doesn't work, then likely the onboard NIC of your dad's desktop is faulty/dead.

If that's a no, then likely that particular port on your router is faulty/dead.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

update

he's managed to get the internet back on his PC. By doing a system restore back to the 7th Dec, and then it all worked fine.

I've tried one, didn't work

It's not the ethernet cable, as it work for my laptop, but not my PC. And i've had it in both ethernet ports in the back of my PC. So i'm guessing that leaves the NIC.

Out of interest what would cause that to just die?

right, i'm able to connect to the router (i think). I went into the connection properties and rather then having IP and DNS set to auto I manually put in the following
      IP - 192.168.1.70
      subnetmask - 255.255.255.0
      default gateway - 192.168.1.254
      primary DNS server - 192.168.1.254
      got most of the values from the info on my laptop and checked with my dads PC once he got it connected again. i chose 1.70 as that was the last known IP that worked (when i hosted a LAN TS server).

This makes me think that the NIC is working. I've tried to understand what google has been throwing at me for results, and i'm thinking the problem is related to DCHP. What can i do to test this?
      Last edited by AnimalMother; 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM.
      AnimalMother
      Ex TG-31st LR
      "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
      sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

It doesn't sound like anything's wrong with your router's DHCP. If there was the rest of your networked PCs would have trouble connecting to the internet through your router.

Depending on your router's DHCP settings, I see two possibilities:

#1: You have more PCs connected to the router than you have available address for those computers. The solution would be to log into your router's control panel and expand the range of IPs (say from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 would give you 200 internal IP addresses).

#2: Your PC may have been assigned a IP either out of range or expired. We can easily release and renew the IP address.

Can you log into your router's control panel from a working PC? Check if your desktop is recognized by the router (it should have a IP assigned to it). If it doesn't show a IP for the PC (or doesn't show the PC), we can try releasing and renewing the IP from the desktop.

At which point you can go back to your desktop, open up a command window (XP: Start > Run / Vista or Win7: Start > Type cmd in the search bar and hit Enter). Type in the following:

ipconfig /release (hit Enter)

then...

ipconfig /renew (hit Enter)

Now go back to your router's CP and see if it has your desktop listed.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Managed to get into the router control panel. Bad news though i don't know the password and the router is in my parents room, who are currently asleep

from what i can see on it though, my PC is listed under the "currently connected devices" but i cant view any IPs i don't think without getting into the settings part.

will the release and renew still do anything without knowing the IPs of the connected devices?

another thing that keeps coming up from my searches is winsock errors, is this a likely cause?

thanks for the help so far!

edit: just done ping 192.168.1.254, release and renew

results

Ping default gateway, 100% packet loss

ipconfig /release

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
          IP address: 0.0.0.0
          Subnet mask: 0.0.0.0
          default gateway: 0.0.0.0
          ipconfig /renew
          windows IP configuration

an error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact you DHCP server. Reuest time out.

ethernet adapter local area connection

connection-specific DNS suffix:
          autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.222.9
          subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
          default gateway:
          Last edited by AnimalMother; 12-22-2010, 11:12 PM.
          AnimalMother
          Ex TG-31st LR
          sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

SOLVED

Turns out nothing was working, even reinstalled windows xp no no avail

bought a PCI network card and now running full steam!
            AnimalMother
            Ex TG-31st LR
            sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...