Formatting New HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting New HDD

Got a WD 160GB SATA drive today and finally got it installed, plugged in right spot and enabled the SATA ports on the Mobo.

Now I have Device manager seeing it no problem and not in "My Computer". not surprising it still needs to be formatted right...

So I am currently formatting an F and G drive, Uck, will be changing that later. but my concerns are in the sizes of the drives. I have one at 27.99 GB and the other at 100.01 GB. Thats right a grand total of 130GB of disk space.

So my question.

Is it normal for a 160GB drive to only have 130GB space? seems too much lost space I understand the 160GB is UNformatted space, but still...

I had other questions but I eitherchanged my mind or figured it out while typing this...

Re: Formatting New HDD

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/hddfaqs.htm#17

If you have not already you need to go into your BIOS, select that HDD, and enable large hdd support (not auto).

Comment

if I switch to large would I get more useable space?

What are the other effects of doing that?

Comment

Yes. As the article in the link describes there is a natural limit to HDD of 137Gb (or 128Gb if you count properly). This means even if you stuck a 300Gb hdd in there you would still find just 128Gb of usable space. Enabling large support opens up a 48-bit register, taking the usable space up to some ridiculous number ;)

My 120Gb HDD's dropped to 111Gb usable after formatting, so around a 7.5% loss. This would put your expected figure at around 148Gb.

No other effects really.

Comment

Okay thanks alot. Guess it is time to stop the format and start over again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X