Need help spending Christmas money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help spending Christmas money

So Santa brought me $240 in newegg gift cards, my 4890 has been selling on ebay in the $130 price range.....so lets just say I have roughly $370 to spend.

I want 4 more gigs of memory....that's $60, so now I am down to $310.00

I want to pull the trigger on a new ATI Video card, but don't know what would be a good replacement? I would like to stay in the 6000 series of cards because of the advancements in DX11 they have over the 5000 series.....plus the scalability in the 6000 series is alot better for crossfire. I don't mind throwing in a bit of my own money, so what's a good card in the $310 to $360 price range for ATI? I like XFX, ASUS, and Saphire. I can't seem to find any bench's that compare the 6900 series ....looking for some help on this one. Stats are below

Machine name: GAMER-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 1269MB used, 6919MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Need help spending Christmas money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150518

Tom's hardware shows the 6950 as 3 "tiers" above your current 4890, so it'll probably be just enough of an increase for you to say, Oh yeah thats better.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

you wouldn't by chance have the Tom's Hardware link would you?
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150518

Tom's hardware shows the 6950 as 3 "tiers" above your current 4890, so it'll probably be just enough of an increase for you to say, Oh yeah thats better.
        If OP can find a GTX 480 for that price (shouldn't be too hard) then that would probably be the best buy for his price range. The GTX 480 still outperforms both the 6970 and 6950.

Comment

hate nvidia

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rade,2803.html

Page 7 in this article has the tiered chart.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Apparently a 6950 can be flashed to a full-blown 6970. Not a bad deal.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showth...72#post2134472
              sigpic

Comment

that is cool buckets.....however I have this gut feeling that if I tried it I would flash it into a $300 paper weight

*EDIT*
                After reading the article I pulled the trigger, I will flash it and see what happens. from everything I see in that article its the same card as the 6970, flashed down to a 6950.....GAME ON!

Comment

Oh wow, that is cool. Its been a long time since they left something easily doable like this available.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                    hate nvidia
                    Why is this? I don't hate ATI. I just go with the better product. I could not care any less which company it comes from. (deals are a big factor as well, got my GTX 470 for $234 when they were $350, amazing deal.)

Fanboys are bad for the market.

I would also like to add that the GTX 465 (early ones) were flashable to 470s.
                    @Namebot - it is not something they intentionally do (make it easy to flash).

Comment

I always had issues with Nvidia, either having to RMA or crappy sli configuration. Not a matter of being a fanboy, it's a matter of never ever having an issue with an ati card or driver....which is what I expect when I plop down hard earned money....and yes I will pay more for that convenience.

Comment

The article linked to in buckets link shows %100 success rate SO FAR. The other recent unlock able cards either required a specific model or had a higher failure rate. This is the reason for my enthusiasm, couldn't care less if they did it on purpose or not. I like it either way.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
                          Why is this? I don't hate ATI. I just go with the better product. I could not care any less which company it comes from. (deals are a big factor as well, got my GTX 470 for $234 when they were $350, amazing deal.)
                          The "better" card is rather subjective. There's more to buying a video card than how many frames you can get in certain games.

I wouldn't touch a GTX480 due to it's high noise, high heat factor.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            The "better" card is rather subjective. There's more to buying a video card than how many frames you can get in certain games.

I wouldn't touch a GTX480 due to it's high noise, high heat factor.
                            ^this, the fermi series seem to be furnaces.

Comment

Man that sucks. I would have bought a 6950 instead of the 6970 and saved some cash.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X