In search of a good video card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of a good video card

I presently have an HP Pavilion a6500f PC, equipted with an Intel Pentium Dual Core Desktop Processor E2220, 4096 MB of system memory and a 500 GB hard drive. Front-side bus speed 800/1066/1333 MHz (processor dependent). I understand that I will need a larger power supply. However I would like to try and keep the whole cost below 200 dollars. I had been looking at the geforce 9800 gtx i think it is. Would that be a good one to have for playing Counter Strike, Call to Juarez, Call of Duty all the way up to black ops, almost any of the shootem up bang bang games. I would like any information that anyone can give me on this and in advance I really appreciate it very much.

Lock n Load, Saddle up, Mount up and Ride out.

Re: In search of a good video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-447-_-Product

This is cheap and will run everything you could possible want it too. ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Here's a quality PSU to go with the new video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371030

If you build a new system in the future, you can take this PSU with you to use in that new build.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-447-_-Product

This is cheap and will run everything you could possible want it too. ;)
        The GTX 460 will easily outperform the 5770 and is on par with the 5830. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130562

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/16

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
          The GTX 460 will easily outperform the 5770 and is on par with the 5830. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130562

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/16
          That may be true, but since you_rang didn't state his budget, we usually assume midrange or budget.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            That may be true, but since you_rang didn't state his budget, we usually assume midrange or budget.
            But I did state my budget, it was " However I would like to try and keep the whole cost below 200 dollars. " And it appears that going with the PSU recomended here and the 460 I will go over by $ 30 but that is not much when you are trying to get good graphics. Nobody ever answered my question about the video card that I have been thinking about getting for quite some time now.
            Here is the video card that I have been looking at
            [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500115&cm_re=nvidia_gef orce_9800_gt-_-14-500-115-_-Product[url]

Comment

Ah, I missed it while reading the post. I figured it might be somewhere in the ball park of $200.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The card you linked to is older. There are better cards for the money available.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  The card you linked to is older. There are better cards for the money available.

So for the money that I would spend on the 9800 I can get a better faster card. Is one of those cards listed in the thread, like the 460. If not can you point me in that direction.

Comment

The newer games are barely playable on the 9800 with the dual core E2220, thats an old entry level cpu. The games are quiclky passing you by with even the upgrades you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by you rang View Post
                      So for the money that I would spend on the 9800 I can get a better faster card. Is one of those cards listed in the thread, like the 460. If not can you point me in that direction.
                      460 will easily outperform a 9800. However you may see some bottlenecking with your CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                        The newer games are barely playable on the 9800 with the dual core E2220, thats an old entry level cpu. The games are quiclky passing you by with even the upgrades you are talking about.
                        unfortunately he's right....that rig even with the upgrades is almost outdated as of now in my opinion. It ain't cheap to PC game :) I doubt it could run MW2 or black ops very well....probably on low settings, maybe on a good day in medium quality
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
                          460 will easily outperform a 9800. However you may see some bottlenecking with your CPU.
                          may?.....he WILL see bottle necking with that cpu
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

The problem with getting your rig to be able to just play the newer games with lowering the settings you are missing so much of whats offered. You need a much higher dual core at the least, better yet a quad core cpu. Venman is right, it is not cheap to keep up in pc gaming.

Comment

Don't be too sad though, when I first got BC2 I ran it on medium settings across the board with a single core, 2 gigs of memory, and an HD 4550 at around 30 FPS.

Former TG-21st
                              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...