Memory....would I notice a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory....would I notice a difference

Ok so I have 4 gigs of DDR3 currently on my machine, would I notice any difference in how games performed or apps ran if I bumped to 8 Gigs? I play BFBC2 and COD BO.

specs,

AMD 945 Phenom II quad core
    4 gigs DDR3 1600 Rip Jaw series
    XFX 6950
    ASROCK 870 Extreme 3

I just don't want to plop down 50 bucks if I am not going to see any gains.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Memory....would I notice a difference

You would not notice much of a difference at all if your not even using close to 4 GBs now.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

that's just it....I guess I have never seen what the usage is in game, I know the BF games are memory hogs....but how much of a hog I have no idea. I was just looking for input, my mind wanders when I have Christmas money to spend. I see the games coming out seem to be utilizing alot more of the hardware than they used to so I figured I would ask.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

When I still had 4 GBs of RAM and was running BC2, I had Task Manager and the Computer Status gadget open in the background. The thing I noticed is that BC2 only eats around 2-2.5 GBs of RAM. I couldn't tell you exactly since I went off of a guesstimate of the RAM usage graph combined with the gadget both in-game minimized and in-menu minimized (not too much of a difference between the two). Now for me that equates to 3-3.5 GBs used in total since my background processes and such took an extra GB or so. Now if I wasn't going to be running anything else beyond games, I would not have bought another 4 GBs of RAM since during heavy mutlitasking or gaming, I never crossed beyond 3.5 GBs used.

I can't tell you if 8 GBs made much of a difference on BC2 since I also upgraded my CPU from a 2-core to a 4-core and my video card and monitor at the same time. However, when I rendered a animation in Maya along with some light multitasking (sluggish since Maya eats 95%+ of my CPU): FF, video playing, encoding some video files; I was using as much as 6.8 GBs of RAM at the time. In those situations it really helps as Windows doesn't go to your hard drive's free space (aka virtual RAM) when it runs out of physical memory to use.

I don't know what other programs you tend to run normally, but that's my experience.

As for what kind of performance increase you'll see...well depends on each user experience. Some claim as much as a 20% boost in performance in games going from 4 GBs to 8 GBs, but others only report a bare marginal increase of perhaps a few percentage points (loading times, framerates, etc).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Give me a bit here. I'm trying to see if I can get Resource Monitor (built into Win7) to track BlackOps.exe to see if I can get a accurate read on RAM usage.

If I can get this to work, you can use it to track BFBC2.exe and see what the game actually uses for you.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sounds sweet Acreo....I appreciate that.

Comment

Acreo is correct. In regards to RAM, the only time you will notice a difference in game performance is if you don't have enough of it. And even then, typically where you would notice the difference is in load times and not FPS. FPS drops in games can happen occasionally due to low RAM -- for example, if you are walking down the street and the game needs to buffer the upcoming scenery, but doesn't have enough RAM to buffer the additional scenery. In that case, it would need to swap out some of the buffer to disk which could result in stuttering for a second or two. But generally, unless you are very low on RAM, adding more will not improve game performance.

If you want to be able to have other apps open in background while playing though, _that_ is a different story. Then you need more RAM.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

well I usually have the COD Rconn running as well as TS3, when I minimize BO to get to the rconn tool it takes forever to bring the game screen back up

Comment

Okay, so after a bit more testing, it seems the Resource Monitor in Win7 is almost identical to that in Vista (thank goodness).

Here's a screenshot of my game running with high settings (1600 x 1200, 4X AA, Trilinear Filtering, High Details, etc, and Windowed) with Resource Monitor running in the background:

Link: http://aeneas.grscgaming.com/RAM_Usage_in_Black_Ops.jpg

The highlighted line is for the process "BlackOpsMP.exe". The "working set" is what's relevant to physical RAM usage. It hovers around 1 GB (physical) and about 1.1-1.2 GBs (virtual -- from hard drive free space).

Now you can test BC2 with Resource Monitor running in the background.

Let me say this:

You need to run the game in windowed mode (like how I have it setup above). The reason for this is simple, when you ALT+TAB, the game uses quite a bit less RAM. In my case, the difference is as much as 280 MBs. This is the closest way to getting a good read on real-time usage that I've found.

Special Notes:

1. Resource Monitor has a split, multi-colored bar that shows RAM usage (under the Memory tab). The area of the bar in green is the one you should focus on. The area in blue is standby (hover over for an explanation) and isn't necessarily reflective of potential RAM usage. The light blue area is free unused RAM.

2. Below that bar you have a great number split that tells you how much you have installed, how much is in use (total), and how much you still have left (total). The "Cached" is what you'll be also staring at while in-game. If you see this number approaching 4096, then it's probably a good idea to invest in the additional 4 GBs.

From the image, it's as follows:

Total Free
                Total Used
                Total
                Total Installed

Total and Total Installed would differ if you had a integrated graphics chipset that shares your RAM.

Originally posted by Venman
                well I usually have the COD Rconn running as well as TS3, when I minimize BO to get to the rconn tool it takes forever to bring the game screen back up
                Same here. Besides the framebuffer needing to be flushed and refreshed (so no ghosting occurs), perhaps a portion of the game is stored to the HDD while the game is minimized and thus it takes a while to take that data from the HDD and push it back onto RAM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I will try it out when I get home with all of my ADmin and TS apps open as well. Thanks ACREO.

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                    when I minimize BO to get to the rconn tool it takes forever to bring the game screen back up
                    Is your hard drive thrashing until it comes up? The delay in displaying the game may not be due to low memory. Several games I play take a long time to redisplay after being minimized and there is no hard drive activity going on. It could simply be the time it takes to reinitialize the video buffers, which is a combination of GPU and CPU performance.
                    Twisted Firestarter
                    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                    sigpic

Comment

Buying more RAM is never a bad idea. But point blank, if you're already at 4GB and you upgrade to 8GB, you probably won't notice any difference in COD Blops or BC2.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

kinda the whole "condom" mentality

"I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                          kinda the whole "condom" mentality

"I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
                          That's not quite true. Some people fall into the: "Have it but never use it" category.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

OK so resource monitor with BLOPS, Rconn and TS3 says
                            standby 1442MB
                            free 148 MB

Comment

So I ran Process Hacker on a second monitor to track memory usage while playing BC2 earlier tonight and I noticed that BC2 was using roughly 800MB of memory which is honestly less than I thought it would. I'm kind of interested to see if other people get similar numbers.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X