Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "what should i get thread" Sorry

Hey everyone,

I need some help. I know with my situation it might be a little tough to give proper advice, but i thought i would ask anyways.

First of all, I will let you know what i want to do with the computer. I intend to stop gaming on my ps3 (no one ever team works on there) and get back into PC gaming. I also will be using it for picture editing as I am trying to get into portrait photography in my spear time plus taking a lot of pics of the kids in sports and concerts and so on. Will probably do some video editing as well. Then the usual surfing the net, and emailing. Oh might be making a website and maintaining it for a co-worker for his company as well.

With that out of the way, I would like to hear of options for me for what type of components I should run. I am not brand loyal so that is why i can't make up my mind.

1) Cpu AMD or INTEL? what one and why?

2) MotherBoard name and model? (would like a lot of room for future upgrades)

3) Ram is pretty basic now, i would be going with middle to top end stuff and 12gigs min

4) Video Card (want it to play current games and new ones coming out) Right now i'm looking at BC2/vietnam, Americas Army, maybe some driving games. Do i run a single card or 2 and what are benefits to running 2 over 1?

5)Hard drives again basic i more or less know, will be running a minimum 60gig SSD with 1-2 extra drives of 1TB minimum each

6) Sound use onboard or run external sound card? and why for either?

7) Headset with built in mic or not (i have not pref) but i want it to sound good as i use my hearing more then my eyes lol. (good for games and music/movies)

8) i will be getting a blu ray burner/reader and maybe a second blu ray reader to copy straight accross.

9) Case: Good air flow, lot's of expansion, (doesn't matter on size of case) looks good as well

10) Key board and mouse. Keyboard has to be good for gaming and general use but would like to have extra keys for binding for gaming. Mouse has to have adjustable dpi and a fair bit of buttons on the mouse (was looking at the RAT 9 i think it is called)

11) Monitor 22-24 inch. I looked at a LED version, is it better or not for colour and response?

12) Power Supply. What name, what size? (keep in mind i want to expand down the road).

Thank you for your timely input for this. I am lost as i haven't custom built anything for at least 6-7 years minimum. I am out of the loop on all this. I will be building the rig over a span of 3-6 months from right now. I'm not really woried about cost as i am dragging it over a period of time, but i dont want to spend $600+ on a cpu if i don't have to either.

Thank you very much. I live in canada if that makes any difference at all?!?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by QuickShotSims; 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM.

Re: Another "what should i get thread" Sorry

I offer the same advise all the time... go to the dell outlet and grab something from there to start. then upgrade the power supply and video card. (or whatever parts are lacking)

I got a core i7 960 (3.2ghz) with 12 gig ram, 1.5TB HDD, GF 240 1gig, win 7 HP, DVDRW, and BR-RE for $650. I then added a radeon 4870 I already owned, and a silverstone 750 watt power supply I already owned. I have since added a 60 gig SSD, and added 8TB of space in a drobo plus an additional 3+ TB of space in other drives attached to the machine.

I priced out the equivalent components on newegg, and even going with the cheapest everything, was 250 more. I would recommend a samsung syncmaster if you are trying for accurate color (or a high-end Dell 30"... but it doesn't sound like you are getting super serious yet with the photography and picture / video editing.)

I think a decent setup with a few years of life would be:
    • core i7 920 to 960
    • 8-12gigs of ram
    • SSD OS drive
    • 3TB drive for data
    • DVDRW + BR-RE
    • single Nvidia based video card if you are serious about video editing and want to use premiere (check the supported mercury engine models on adobe's site)
    • modular PC power and cooling / Silverstone / Sparkle 750 to 1000 watt power supply
    • big heavy case. in the end, it is just a box, so function and durability are the real considerations. I got an awesome rosewill case for 45 bucks w/o power supply and I love it... tooless, 120mm fans, no stupid window or super bright LED's, heavy / sturdy construction, and good selection of front ports. it sits under the desk doing what I need it to do... holding all the parts in place. - and it will be able to do that for another decade if nothing radical happens.

In the end, if all you want to do is play games, a core i5 with 4-8gigs ram is plenty, if you want to still use the computer in 5 years, i7 with 8-12+gig ram.
    Last edited by =DdogG=; 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM. Reason: typo... who has a 1.5gb HDD?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thank you for replying to me....

Yes you are right about the picture/video editing. Right now im not too serious about it and may keep doing it on my mac and keep the PC for gaming, but that will be an option down the road. I will look at the other stuff you suggested and keep it at top and compare it to others as well from others who suggest things. I am about a month or so away before i can start buying to build and will be buying things slowly. so some things might change when it comes time to buy it. I want to do it right the first time as i will not be upgrading for a while unless something crapped out on me because of my stupidity.

Thanks again.

Comment

First off, you really do not need to shell out for 12-18 GBs of RAM. 95% of the time you won't even use more than 4 GBs. 8 GBs is more than enough for your needs for now and 5 years from now.

I'd suggest AMD. Platform longetivity and affordability. I'd probably wait until the new Bulldozer chips are out first before committing to this build. AMD's promising quad and octa-core CPUs and we're expecting the octa-cores to be priced at around the same as the Phenom II X6 at launch.

If you absolutely had to build now, a nice Phenom II X4 or X6 would do nicely. You'd have more cores than you'd probably ever use with the X6, but if you ever decide to play around with 3D modeling programs, those cores will come in handy for rendering.

Price wise, AMD's Phenom II X4 and X6 range from $120 to $300. Most people buy in at the $140 to $200 range ($160/$170 is the top end for the X4, and $200 is the low-end for the 1050T X6). A solid AMD board costs only another $60-$150 depending on features you're looking for.

Performance wise compared to Intel's offerings, expect to get 90%-98% of the performance.

Whereas on Intel's side:
        $200-$300+ for a i7 CPU
        $200+ for a LGA1366 mobo (for the i7)

$150+ for a i5 CPU
        ~$100+ for a decent i5/LGA1156 board

Can't really recommend one until you decide on which platform you're going with: AMD or Intel?

As for features, you'd probably want USB 3.0, eSATA, and SATA 6Gb/s in addition to a motherboard with heatsinks over the CPU area MOSFETs and capacitors, over the southbridge chip, and good spacing between the PCI-E slots.

3) Ram is pretty basic now, i would be going with middle to top end stuff and 12gigs min

Again, you don't need 12 GBs. With what you're describing, 8 GBs is more than enough.

4) Video Card (want it to play current games and new ones coming out) Right now i'm looking at BC2/vietnam, Americas Army, maybe some driving games. Do i run a single card or 2 and what are benefits to running 2 over 1?

Single card if you're only on one monitor. If you plan on any fancy multi-monitor gaming, than Crossfire or SLI.

As for video cards:

AMD's Radeon HD5850/HD5870 or HD6950
        nVidia's GeForce GTX460

5)Hard drives again basic i more or less know, will be running a minimum 60gig SSD with 1-2 extra drives of 1TB minimum each

If you can afford it, try a pair (or 4) HDDs of the same make, model, and size. Then you can setup a RAID 0+1 HDD setup. The speed of stripe RAID along with the backup benefits of mirror RAID.

Depends. How important is SQ (sound quality) to you? Do you only care for boomy bass and decent sound or do you care about clarity in the upper registers, forward mids, O-sounding bass that doesn't overpower the rest of the range, etc?

(What headphones you're using is also a general indicator of the sound you're expecting to hear.)

7) Headset with built in mic or not (i have not pref) but i want it to sound good as i use my hearing more then my eyes lol. (good for games and music/movies)

Sennheiser's PC-350. It's highly recommended amongst us. Durable, studio-grade SQ, great boom mic, but costs a bit ($120+).

8) i will be getting a blu ray burner/reader and maybe a second blu ray reader to copy straight accross.

Make sure you're getting SATA drives. As for brands, stay the hell away from Sony. Buy it and regret it. Since the media has so much density, I'd suggest looking at recorders with at least 4 MBs of cache. 2 MBs may be the unofficial standard, but it just means you're sit there for longer waiting for it to finish a full burn.

9) Case: Good air flow, lot's of expansion, (doesn't matter on size of case) looks good as well

Take a look at the Cooler Master Storm series of cases. My favorite thus far is the: CM Storm Scout.

10) Key board and mouse. Keyboard has to be good for gaming and general use but would like to have extra keys for binding for gaming. Mouse has to have adjustable dpi and a fair bit of buttons on the mouse (was looking at the RAT 9 i think it is called)

Logitech's G15 sounds like it'll fit your needs perfectly. Extra macro keys for your binding pleasure. RAT 9's a nice mouse. Alternatively, take a look at the Logitech G700.

11) Monitor 22-24 inch. I looked at a LED version, is it better or not for colour and response?

Nowadays, you'd want at least a LED-backlit monitor. CCFL panels generally die within 5 years of heavy use. LED-backlit panels are expected to last anywhere from 8-12 years with heavy use.

Ideally, a LED monitor (note: LED, not LED-backlit) would be even better (like a AMOLED screen). Contrast, color accuracy, and even the gamut range is superb. Unfortunately, very few companies even offer LED monitor's and they are very pricey.

HD resolution panels are all the craze now, so much so, games have accepted it. Personally, I have a ASUS VW266H (25.5" @ 1920 x 1200) monitor. I did not choose a 16x9 1920 x 1080 panels since to me "widescreen" means at least a 16x10 panel @ 1920 x 1200.

Panel-type wise, go for a higher end panel (LTPS, PVA, etc). Everything's better across the board and will save your butt if you ever do any graphic design/photo manipulation that requires color accuracy from a computer display to paper (additive to subtractive color systems). Basically if I see a certain photo as these colors, when I print them, they're going to look almost exactly like I see them on my monitor.

12) Power Supply. What name, what size? (keep in mind i want to expand down the road).

All depends on the components you choose. Ideally a name brand, like Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc, @ 650W+ is more than enough for most rigs. The few exceptions would be those running 2-4 high-end video cards at once.

As Dog suggested, modular is key. Use the cables you need, keep the rest for future upgrades.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          First off, you really do not need to shell out for 12-18 GBs of RAM. 95% of the time you won't even use more than 4 GBs. 8 GBs is more than enough for your needs for now and 5 years from now.

I'd suggest AMD. Platform longetivity and affordability. I'd probably wait until the new Bulldozer chips are out first before committing to this build. AMD's promising quad and octa-core CPUs and we're expecting the octa-cores to be priced at around the same as the Phenom II X6 at launch.

If you absolutely had to build now, a nice Phenom II X4 or X6 would do nicely. You'd have more cores than you'd probably ever use with the X6, but if you ever decide to play around with 3D modeling programs, those cores will come in handy for rendering.

Price wise, AMD's Phenom II X4 and X6 range from $120 to $300. Most people buy in at the $140 to $200 range ($160/$170 is the top end for the X4, and $200 is the low-end for the 1050T X6). A solid AMD board costs only another $60-$150 depending on features you're looking for.

Performance wise compared to Intel's offerings, expect to get 90%-98% of the performance.

Can't really recommend one until you decide on which platform you're going with: AMD or Intel?

As for features, you'd probably want USB 3.0, eSATA, and SATA 6Gb/s in addition to a motherboard with heatsinks over the CPU area MOSFETs and capacitors, over the southbridge chip, and good spacing between the PCI-E slots.

Again, you don't need 12 GBs. With what you're describing, 8 GBs is more than enough.

Single card if you're only on one monitor. If you plan on any fancy multi-monitor gaming, than Crossfire or SLI.

As for video cards:

AMD's Radeon HD5850/HD5870 or HD6950
          nVidia's GeForce GTX460

If you can afford it, try a pair (or 4) HDDs of the same make, model, and size. Then you can setup a RAID 0+1 HDD setup. The speed of stripe RAID along with the backup benefits of mirror RAID.

Depends. How important is SQ (sound quality) to you? Do you only care for boomy bass and decent sound or do you care about clarity in the upper registers, forward mids, O-sounding bass that doesn't overpower the rest of the range, etc?

(What headphones you're using is also a general indicator of the sound you're expecting to hear.)

Sennheiser's PC-350. It's highly recommended amongst us. Durable, studio-grade SQ, great boom mic, but costs a bit ($120+).

Make sure you're getting SATA drives. As for brands, stay the hell away from Sony. Buy it and regret it. Since the media has so much density, I'd suggest looking at recorders with at least 4 MBs of cache. 2 MBs may be the unofficial standard, but it just means you're sit there for longer waiting for it to finish a full burn.

Take a look at the Cooler Master Storm series of cases. My favorite thus far is the: CM Storm Scout.

Logitech's G15 sounds like it'll fit your needs perfectly. Extra macro keys for your binding pleasure. RAT 9's a nice mouse. Alternatively, take a look at the Logitech G700.

Nowadays, you'd want at least a LED-backlit monitor. CCFL panels generally die within 5 years of heavy use. LED-backlit panels are expected to last anywhere from 8-12 years with heavy use.

Ideally, a LED monitor (note: LED, not LED-backlit) would be even better (like a AMOLED screen). Contrast, color accuracy, and even the gamut range is superb. Unfortunately, very few companies even offer LED monitor's and they are very pricey.

HD resolution panels are all the craze now, so much so, games have accepted it. Personally, I have a ASUS VW266H (25.5" @ 1920 x 1200) monitor. I did not choose a 16x9 1920 x 1080 panels since to me "widescreen" means at least a 16x10 panel @ 1920 x 1200.

Panel-type wise, go for a higher end panel (LTPS, PVA, etc). Everything's better across the board and will save your butt if you ever do any graphic design/photo manipulation that requires color accuracy from a computer display to paper (additive to subtractive color systems). Basically if I see a certain photo as these colors, when I print them, they're going to look almost exactly like I see them on my monitor.

All depends on the components you choose. Ideally a name brand, like Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc, @ 650W+ is more than enough for most rigs. The few exceptions would be those running 2-4 high-end video cards at once.

As Dog suggested, modular is key. Use the cables you need, keep the rest for future upgrades.

First off thank you for taking the time to answer me in depth like this. Now i have some more questions for you then.

Ram: I always thought more was better for ram, but if 8 gigs is more then enough, should i run 2x4gig ram or 1x8 gig ram? is there a benefit to 1 way or the other?

CPU: my very first system i built was AMD. I played with guys who ran intel system's but they had bigger system's and they played in the games with less problems then me so that made me frustrated with AMD but i know it wasn't AMD's fault lol.

Motherboard: I will more then likely run AMD again so is there certain brands to stay with like asus or gigabite or who ever?

Video Card: Is there any benefits to running 2 monitors for gaming as to one 24" monitor that will be LED? This will depend on if i run 1 good card or 2 not as good cards?!?!?!?!

Hard Drives: Will the system run faster as running raid then to have a SSD main drive and a couple of storage/back up drives?

Sound: I like some bass, but i want it to be as crystal clear as possible through all the ranges with a little bass to compliment the rest of the sounds. My local shop has the PCI-E : 7.1 : Asus : Xonar Xense w/ Sennheiser PC350 Headset. Will this get what i am looking for?

Blu Ray: thank you for the info, i will make sure i stay away from sony and look for 4 MBs cache for sure.

Case: i will look into those cases

Keyboard and mouse: i have been looking at the G15 and i will be reading up on the G700 (thank you)

Monitor: i will be looking into LED-Backlit or LED screen depending on the price.

Power Supply: I will look at a min of 650watt but might go bigger for future up grades.

Thank you again.

Comment

Ram: I always thought more was better for ram, but if 8 gigs is more then enough, should i run 2x4gig ram or 1x8 gig ram? is there a benefit to 1 way or the other?

Given that almost all consumer boards only have 4 DIMM slots, you'll have to do 4 x 2 GB config with RAM. Or if you have the money, you can do 2 x 4 GB config (~$20-$60 more).

There's isn't a performance benefit/degradation going from one arrangement to the other. Ideally you'd want a 2 x 4 arrangement so you'd have space to add on another 8 GBs later. BUT given that you'll probably never even use 8 GBs 99% of the time, there's no need in spending the extra money on 4 GB DIMMs when you can achieve 8 GBs using a 4 x 2 arrangement.

Given how close together those slots are, I'd suggest looking into RAM with heatspreaders. The extra cooling you'll get from air circulating through your case (or from air moving down from the CPU fan) will help keep that RAM cool even in a warm room.

CPU: my very first system i built was AMD. I played with guys who ran intel system's but they had bigger system's and they played in the games with less problems then me so that made me frustrated with AMD but i know it wasn't AMD's fault lol.

More than likely (depending on how long ago that was), you probably didn't have a beefy enough video card. So while your old CPU was adaquete for those old games, your video card was probably seriously underpowered.

Another problem may be that you never updated your graphics drivers. In which case, you probably suffered from a huge host problems with various games crashing to desktop, graphical glitches, etc.

Motherboard: I will more then likely run AMD again so is there certain brands to stay with like asus or gigabite or who ever?

Stay away from the budget boards ($50 and below) by ECS, Gigabyte, Foxconn, and Biostar. Often times they are rather hit-or-miss in terms of component quality and they tend to skimp with some parts. I wouldn't touch PCChips at all. I'm rather iffy about Jetway as well since they mainly only produce ITX and budget boards now and aren't very popular.

ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, and eVGA are probably amongst the big ones when it comes to AMD boards for a build. Personally, I rank ASUS and ASRock side-by-side since ASRock used to be a division of ASUS. eVGA is also up there in the top tiers, great support, great quality boards, and fairly affordable, though limited selection.

Video Card: Is there any benefits to running 2 monitors for gaming as to one 24" monitor that will be LED? This will depend on if i run 1 good card or 2 not as good cards?!?!?!?!

Some games (like simulators) are perfect for 3 monitor setups. For the most part, you don't gain too much benefit from multi-monitor gaming and not all games support more than 1 display at a time. Also with multi-monitor gaming, if you don't have a powerful enough card, you'd probably end with a very choppy gameplay over your displays.

Multi-monitor setups, however, are great for workspace and workflow (multitasking implied). It's great having the ability to throw code up on one monitor, a command prompt open on half of another, web page reference open on the other half, and maybe even a video playing in the upper corner of the first display. You'll often see professional animators, graphic artists, and even programmers have dual or triple-monitors setups at work and at home.

Hard Drives: Will the system run faster as running raid then to have a SSD main drive and a couple of storage/back up drives?

Some of the faster and better (and more expensive) SSDs actually perform just as well as stripe RAID (some cases even faster) especially read speads (lightning fast response). The reason I suggested a RAID 1+0 was that if you're going to pack in over a TB of storage and if this is going to be your home and work rig, you might as well have it setup so you can read/write files to these storage drives as quickly as you would to the OS drive (SSD). Add onto that, you have some redundancy in that if a drive fails within a pair, you can easily replace that drive and rebuild the array.

Given that most consumer drives don't have TLER feature, you'd probably want to spend lots more on a enterprise-grade drive if you're going to attempt RAID 1+0. Otherwise, a consumer grade drive could just get dropped from an array for take "too long to respond" (which is something like 8 ms).

Now obviously, the setup is a bit more complicated and not something I'd recommend to first-time DIYers. You could just run those TB HDDs separately like I do. Whatever you need to work on right that instant, you can copy-paste over to the SSD. Finish and copy-paste-replace back over to the TB+ storage drives. That way you don't have to mess with RAID configurations.

Sound: I like some bass, but i want it to be as crystal clear as possible through all the ranges with a little bass to compliment the rest of the sounds. My local shop has the PCI-E : 7.1 : Asus : Xonar Xense w/ Sennheiser PC350 Headset. Will this get what i am looking for?

For gaming, generally onboard sound is enough. Some people do buy sound cards for gaming but that is mainly because they want those extra sound effects (like EAX from Creative). Generally those who really care about SQ are those of us who listen to a lot of music and whatnot and would like that same experience on our desktops as we do with our portable players and gear.

With that said, a separate sound card is always nice. The biggest benefit is a lot less hiss and background noise that is common with onboard chipsets. Does that mean you should spend a boatload of cash on one? Probably not unless you have the gear to make use it all and are serious about your music.

(Yes, the Xonar is nice card and depending on the version you get, they're even better coupled with a great (moderately to expensive priced) 5.1/7.1 speaker set.)

Um. Let's approach a different way.

1. What do you listen to your music on usually? Is it a iPod or some other DAP (digital audio player) or is it just on your computer?

2. What format and bitrate is your music in? MP3? FLAC? OGG? High-bitrates (192 kbps+)? Or medium-to-low (64 to 128 kbps)?

3. What headphones/canalphones do you own? How often do you use them?

4. Do you have a surround sound speaker setup for your rig? 5.1? 7.1? What's the brand of the speakers? Model?

I ask these questions because most people don't know what good SQ is and some just waste a lot of money on expensive gear expecting a mainstream sound (impactful bass and lots of it).

Blu Ray: thank you for the info, i will make sure i stay away from sony and look for 4 MBs cache for sure.

Case: i will look into those cases

Great! :)

Keyboard and mouse: i have been looking at the G15 and i will be reading up on the G700 (thank you)

I'm rather in love with the G700 myself. Great ergonomics on the placement of those buttons.

Monitor: i will be looking into LED-Backlit or LED screen depending on the price.

Power Supply: I will look at a min of 650watt but might go bigger for future up grades.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

1. What do you listen to your music on usually? Is it a iPod or some other DAP (digital audio player) or is it just on your computer?

Mostly older rock like ac/dc and such, and i like hip-hop and dance as well, mostly on the computer, sometimes on daughters ipod, and my vehicle.

2. What format and bitrate is your music in? MP3? FLAC? OGG? High-bitrates (192 kbps+)? Or medium-to-low (64 to 128 kbps)?

I try to get everything 192kbps or higher otherwise i notice the quality is not as good. And MP3

3. What headphones/canalphones do you own? How often do you use them?

I use old zalman headphones that were given to me, and when playing my ps3, i use Tritton ax720 series that are sim 5.1 surround sound

4. Do you have a surround sound speaker setup for your rig? 5.1? 7.1? What's the brand of the speakers? Model?

Not for the computer. When i do get one, it will be either a bose series set or maybe a logitech z5500? 5.1 system. Had them before and the 410 watts was nice to have and sounded alright. But then again i had a cheap low end sound card.

I ask these questions because most people don't know what good SQ is and some just waste a lot of money on expensive gear expecting a mainstream sound (impactful bass and lots of it).

I'm the kind of guy who buys speakers for front and back for the car, then get a good amp to run them. I want crystal clear sound over haven bass ruble the trunk and distorted junk coming out of the speakers inside.

Thanks

Comment

OK so far here is what i have set on what i am getting unless someone says different or something else comes out before i get the stuff

Case : Coolermaster : Scout
                PSU : 650W : Antec : TruePower : TP-650
                CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090 AM3 Six Core
                Motherboard : ATX AM3 DDR3 Asus Crosshair IV Formula
                RAM : DDR3 8GB/Kit PC12800 Patriot Sector 5 PGV38G1600ELK
                SSD : 80GB Intel 2.5" SSDSA2MJ080G2C1 X25M Gen2
                HardDrive : 2TB WD SATA 64MB WD20EARS Green (2 of them)
                LG 10X Internal Blu-ray Disc Rewriter & DVD-RW Combo Drive (BH10LS30)
                Video Card : AMD 6950 2GB PCI-E PowerColor 2GBD5-M2DH
                OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (CD and License)
                Sound Card : PCI-E 7.1 Asus Xonar Xense w/ Sennheiser PC350 Headset
                Keyboard : either Gaming USB Logitech G15 2nd Gen or Gaming USB Logitech G510 (havent drcided yet)
                Mouse : Gaming USB Logitech G700
                Monitor : 24" ASUS 1080p VE248H LED or 23.6" ASUS 1080p VE247H LED(this one is $25 cheaper for .5 smaller)
                Speakers will be down the road as i don't need them right away.

Let me know if everything looks good or if there are some things you would change. I will start buying this stuff in a month or 2 once my job picks back up. and i will be buying a few things at a time instead of all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickShotSims View Post
                  OK so far here is what i have set on what i am getting unless someone says different or something else comes out before i get the stuff

Case : Coolermaster : Scout
                  PSU : 650W : Antec : TruePower : TP-650
                  CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090 AM3 Six Core
                  Motherboard : ATX AM3 DDR3 Asus Crosshair IV Formula
                  RAM : DDR3 8GB/Kit PC12800 Patriot Sector 5 PGV38G1600ELK
                  SSD : 80GB Intel 2.5" SSDSA2MJ080G2C1 X25M Gen2
                  HardDrive : 2TB WD SATA 64MB WD20EARS Green (2 of them)
                  LG 10X Internal Blu-ray Disc Rewriter & DVD-RW Combo Drive (BH10LS30)
                  Video Card : AMD 6950 2GB PCI-E PowerColor 2GBD5-M2DH
                  OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (CD and License)
                  Sound Card : PCI-E 7.1 Asus Xonar Xense w/ Sennheiser PC350 Headset
                  Keyboard : either Gaming USB Logitech G15 2nd Gen or Gaming USB Logitech G510 (havent drcided yet)
                  Mouse : Gaming USB Logitech G700
                  Monitor : 24" ASUS 1080p VE248H LED or 23.6" ASUS 1080p VE247H LED(this one is $25 cheaper for .5 smaller)
                  Speakers will be down the road as i don't need them right away.

Let me know if everything looks good or if there are some things you would change. I will start buying this stuff in a month or 2 once my job picks back up. and i will be buying a few things at a time instead of all at once.
                  hit me up when you get the 6950.....I can help you flash the bios to a 6970 on teamspeak.
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                    hit me up when you get the 6950.....I can help you flash the bios to a 6970 on teamspeak.
                    Sweet. Thank you so much. I will. Might not be till march or april, but as soon as i have everything up and running i will for sure. Thank you again.

Comment

So when does the new line of cpu's and video cards usually hit retail stores? Am I better off waiting on my build till fall/winter and getting newer technologies, or is the stuff right now going to be fine for the next 2-3 years? I could get by with my ps3 till fall/winter. But want to see what you guys think. Let me know please.

Thank you

Comment

Intel just announced their new Sandy Bridge line of processors (officially release Jan. 8th) and they are flat out the best price/performance CPUs right now. With all due respect to the others that have posted in this thread, I think it would be a huge mistake to buy an AMD cpu/platform right now over a Sandy Bridge platform. If you are spending about $200 on the CPU and Motherboard each, then you are already in Sandy Bridge territory. The Core i7 2500k is supposed to retail for ~$200 and accompanying motherboards featured in reviews so far are also ~$200. They are also MUCH faster than equivalent AMD processors right now.

Here are my recommendations:

CPU: Obviously I think you should get one of the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors. Core i7 2500k or 2600k.

Motherbard: I always buy and recommend Asus motherboards. Assuming you go with a Sandy Bridge, wait for reviews of the new motherboards

Memory: 8GB is a nice, "more than enough", amount of RAM to get these days. I would look at getting a 2 x 4GB kit to give you more options down the road.

Hard drive: SSD's are faster right now, but also way more expensive for the capacity you get. If you can afford it, I would get a 120GB SSD for the system drive. Something like an OCZ Vertex 2 which has a pretty good memory controller. For additional storage, I really like Western Digital Caviar Black drives. Get a couple 1TB or 1.5TB drives.

Video Card: The one you picked looks good. As someone who currently uses a dual video card SLI setup I highly recommend you go with just ONE video card. Two video cards have a number of issues - They take up a lot of space in your case, they suck up a ton of power (my computer idles at an insane 250W) and they produce a crazy amount of heat (really sucks in the Summer).

Sound Card: The eternal debate, onboard audio vs. discrete. Here's my take - I had a creative sound blaster x-fi sound card that I had been using for the past couple years until it crapped out on me a few months ago. Instead of buying a new card I switched to onboard audio. I am not picky about audio fidelity and my hearing is not as good as some of those audiophiles who only listen to perfect lossless audio, but I can barely make out a difference between the two setups. Mostly I just notice that there is a little bit more noise with the onboard audio. Yet the difference in quality isn't enough to compel me to go out and buy a new sound card. If you decide you want a discrete solution, I would say that those $200 sound cards are probably not worth it. I would recommend an Asus Xonar DG which you can buy off newegg for $30:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...s%20xonar%20dg

Apparently for the discerning ear, it will sound a lot better than onboard audio and yet it only costs $30.

Case: Corsair 600T. Probably a little more expensive than the other cases people will recommend, but I have to say it is the most pleasant case I have had the pleasure of working in recently. Toolless design, large fans that move a lot of air but don't make too much noise, the best cable routing accommodations and open backplate behind the motherboard in case you get a cooler that requires you to fiddle back there. Oh one other thing, the setup for the hard drives is super convenient. After your computer is built, it's really easy to pull out hard drives without having to mess with other components to get there. For example on my Antec 1200, I have to unscrew an entire drive bay, unplug all the other drives connected in that bay and unplug the fan on the bay before I can get to them. On the Corsair 600T, all I have to do is remove the side panel and unplug only the drive I want and slide it out easily. Look at the pictures on newegg to see what I'm talking about.

Power Supply: Acreo is right, 650W is more than enough for any setup assuming you're only running 1 video card. I personally like PC Power & Cooling, Corsair and Seasonic the most, but they are also a little more expensive. Like others have mentioned, go Modular.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Quick,

Looks good to me. Nice choice going with the 6950. You'll be very happy with that card once Ven helps you flash it to a 6970. :D
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acreo....

I think that will be very cool to flash it to the 6970...

Comment

Well, if you're gaming on a 19" now, when you starting using your new rig, you'll be drooling over your new monitor and wonderful games now look in high resolution on such a big monitor. And if you do work on your computer, you'll do it a bit faster being able to split documents on your screen instead of having to window half the screens and flip back and forth. I did the exact same thing when I first upgraded to my current 25.5" ASUS.

I'd probably go for the 23.6" ASUS. That $25 is basically shipping costs right there (assuming it's not free shipping).

Now that I look over your list again, you might want to add on a aftermarket cooler.

Like: Cooler Master Hyper 212, 120 mm Air Cooler ($30)

Those quad-cores tend to heat up quickly during gaming sessions and heavy multitasking. I have my doubts the stock cooler will cool the CPU enough in room without air conditioning (even given how much less heat AMD's CPUs generate compared with Intel's).

In a cool room, it seems these chips max out at around 40 C idle and don't go over 55/60 C on load with the stock cooler. But if it's a warm room, this chip could be overheating (max temp is 62 C for the 1090T) by the time it hits full load. Hence the aftermarket cooler suggestion. Ideally you'll want to keep your CPU at 5-10 C below the max temp so you have some breathing room and longer life for your processor.
                              Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X