HDMI Cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Cables

Are they not all the same? My buddy bought the $130 Monster cable from Best Buy for his new 3D LED TV/3D Bluray. I told him it was a ripoff but he's convinced that Monster is the best.

Here's the one he bought.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+...&skuId=9345737

What's the equivalent at Monoprice? This one?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There's so many on that site, that's why I'm not exactly sure.

Re: HDMI Cables

Monster is an absolute ripoff at those prices, on top of that your paying Best Buy's high prices as well. I know I saw an article, where for the most part, HDMI cables were almost all the same, and offered nothing additional. Maybe someone here knows where that article is. I'd imagine gold plated were a bit better than non-gold plated, though.

A while back, I needed a long HDMI to reach from my computer, to my living room. I ordered a 30 foot cable from monoprice, for $28.00 total ($3-4 shipping). It's been working perfectly since.

Comment

as long as the cable complies with the standard you need 1.2, 1.3, 1.4.... then you will see no difference in an ebay $3 dollar cable, and a best buy $130 cable.

Tell your friend that I will sell him a quadruple insulated, gold-plated, cable for 130 bucks all day long.... make checks payable to cash please...

i saw Wal-mart wanting more than 30 bucks for a single 6 foot cable, and went straight to ebay - where I picked up 4 for 12 bucks shipped. they look exactly like the wal-mart one, and have performed perfectly for a year.

Tell your friend when you buy monster from a B&M store, the terrorists win. digital is digital. your resume doesn't look any better because you used a 90 dollar usb cable.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
        Here's the one he bought.
        http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+...&skuId=9345737

What's the equivalent at Monoprice? This one?
        http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
        You nailed it. The "THX certified" is marketing b.s. Every HDMI cable delivers the same: video + audio.

I know first hand Monoprice's HDMI cables are actually even higher quality than Monster's overpriced crap (22/24 AWG vs. 28/30 AWG for example).

It's like dishing out $200 for a pair of Bose headphones. They may sound great until you listen to a $100 pair of Grados and find out you seriously overpaid for mediocre sound.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here's an article about this topic.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11276_7...?tag=page;page

Comment

I was actually about to post the same article Jmaker did. Beat me by 30 mins. :row__523:

I've had that bookmarked for a while, and I'm sure it's been posted somewhere else here in the forum.

Also direct your friend to http://consumerist.com/

They have tons of articles about how unreal Monster's claims are, and Monster has sued them, which I think was thrown out.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah thanks guys for all the info. I was so shocked that my friend told me that last night because he's a very smart guy and pretty much up to speed on new tech. This is something I can make fun of him for.

Comment

I recently ordered High speed HDMI from Monoprice and they work perfectly. I hooked up three 3D TVs, 3D Blu-rays, and AVRs with HDMI 1.4.

Get the 28AWG because anything else is way to stiff unless your running it in-wall. I went with nine 6' and nine 10' in red purple and white. I bought extra because it was so inexpensive.

They also have High Speed HDMI with Ethernet but none of the devices I have use it as there wireless. http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...hernet&x=0&y=0

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                  Are they not all the same? My buddy bought the $130 Monster cable from Best Buy for his new 3D LED TV/3D Bluray.
                  The fact he bought the 3D tv already kind of damns him to having zero tech credibility. Actually buying one of those horrid Monster cables doesn't help that status.

Comment

Actually Flar, if you buy a top of the line TV now, you get 3d even if you don't want it. He might have just bought a top of the line for the better picture and more features and might not even use the 3d. In fact, just about everywhere right now it is worth it to buy a 3d TV because they are offering a high end Blu-ray player and 3d glasses kit and wireless doggle, all for free. The people that don't want 3d just sell the glasses kit on e-bay for up to $150 cause people with families need more glasses. There really are some crazy good deals right now since it's the end of the year.

And starting tomorrow is the CES show, which will show all of next year's TVs. Most tech sites are saying that even the mid-level tvs will offer 3d this year, so pretty much everyone will be buying 3d tvs even if they don't want it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I suppose I should have specified that he probably bought one of the 600hz TVs which would be why the Monster cable's time-space-altering properties were "required".

Eh. There's a reason why the $1299 HDtv + PS3 combo that Best Buy offered this November/December sold out in about 2 days while the $1399 3DHDtv + PS3 combo (which technically had much larger savings on the TV) didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        It's like dishing out $200 for a pair of Bose headphones. They may sound great until you listen to a $100 pair of Grados and find out you seriously overpaid for mediocre sound.
                        I don't think Bose headphones are a good comparison. At least with Bose, you may be overpaying but at least there is some value in what you're getting and the additional cost could be somewhat justifiable depending on who is buying it (like Apple products). With Monster cables, it's more like someone is stealing money out of your wallet.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Spending money on cables with superior design made (limited) sense when the cables were pushing analog signals. Any degradation or interference in the analog signal can result in poor image quality or artifacts. However, if the cable is carrying a digital signal, such as HDMI, either the signal makes it from one end of the cable to the other or it doesn't -- it either works perfectly or not at all. I'll repeat what others here have said -- buy a few $2.50 HDMI cables and you will be fine.

I have heard of a few second hand examples of cheap HDMI cables not working at all, but for the price you could replace the faulty cheap $2.50 cable 52x over before reaching the cost of the $130 monster cable. As long as it meets the HDMI spec, it's good. Here's a good comparison of the various HDMI specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-De...4004432&sr=8-1

(yes, thats a cat5).
                            Do or do not, there is no try....
                            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                              However, if the cable is carrying a digital signal, such as HDMI, either the signal makes it from one end of the cable to the other or it doesn't -- it either works perfectly or not at all.
                              This isn't a true statement. At high speeds, digital signals have more in common with their analog counterparts. The lower quality the cable the more frequency limited it becomes. Notice I said quality, not cost. That being said, it is no excuse for companies like monster or best buy or even walmart to be pricing the cables into the stratosphere. Twisted pair network communications had already paved the way in the 90s for driving down the cost of conductors for the specific use of carrying high frequency digital data. The problem here is the consumer model. If this was a B2B only trade, the cables would all be as dirt cheap as we find them on monoprice. Like the broadband/home networking boom of the early to mid 2000s, the price of these cables and components like them will make a steady decline as they become more common in homes and as consumers become more aware of the real cost in making them. Until then we keep pointing everyone at monoprice so they don't get ripped off elsewhere.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X