Intel releases Sandy Bridge...the 2nd gen core cpu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel releases Sandy Bridge...the 2nd gen core cpu

This morning just about every tech site has all the details about Intel's new CPUs from the Sandy Bridge line. And of course Intel has a completly new numbering scheme to confuse the hell out of people.

Here is what's new:

There is some really good news about this release. Check out what Anandtech has to say:
    This isn't another ultra-high-end CPU launch, but rather a refresh for the performance mainstream and below. As one AnandTech editor put it, you get yesterday's performance at a much lower price point. Lynnfield took away a lot of the reason to buy an X58 system as it delivered most of the performance with much more affordable motherboards; Sandy Bridge all but puts the final nail in X58's coffin.

and

The Core i7-2600K is tempting at $317 but the Core i5-2500K is absolutely a steal at $216. You're getting nearly $999 worth of performance at roughly a quarter of the cost. Compared to a Core i5-750/760, you'll get an additional 10-50% performance across the board in existing applications, and all that from a ~25% increase in clock speed.

and

There's simply no better gaming CPU on the market today than Sandy Bridge. The Core i5 2500K and 2600K top the charts regardless of game. If you're building a new gaming box, you'll want a SNB in it.
    Now for the bad news for some people:
    "With the CPU comes a new platform as well. In order to maintain its healthy profit margins Intel breaks backwards compatibility (and thus avoids validation) with existing LGA-1156 motherboards, Sandy Bridge requires a new LGA-1155 motherboard equipped with a 6-series chipset. You can re-use your old heatsinks however."

So you'll need a new motherboard, but that might be a good thing, since the new 6-series adds a few new features.

For all the details, here are a few articles:

The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

Welcome to Sandy Bridge, with the ASRock P67 Extreme4

Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' Core processors An all-new microarchitecture astonishes and delights

Intel's 2nd Generation Core processor family announced, includes 29 new CPUs and enhanced graphics

Intel's 2nd-Gen Core Processors: Mega-Media Machines

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel releases Sandy Bridge...the 2nd gen core cpu

good, prices are going down fror the high i5 & low i7, which is what I am aiming for in my summer upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
      good, prices are going down fror the high i5 & low i7, which is what I am aiming for in my summer upgrade
      By that time the new 2011 chipset (successor of the lga 1366) will be coming out and you'll have another price drop :)
      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Just read over the Techreport article on Sandy Bridge. The results are quite incredible, their $300 Sandy Bridge 2600k is able to keep pace with the $1000 i7 980x with six cores in most benchmarks. The dual core 2100 is able to beat a Phenom II x6 in some games! And to top it all off, Sandy Bridge has lower power consumption than the previous generation too. Overall, I would say if you are looking to upgrade you should only be looking at Sandy Bridge.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Wow, I'm pretty pumped to get one of these. I'm looking at a summer upgrade so that I7 2600K might drop a bit in price which would make it even more amazing.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

anyone want to buy a core i7 960 today? hehehe.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I'm guessing all of the above i7 mobile processors are better than my i7-720M :) I smell an upgrade in a year or so.

Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

If I remember from AnandTech's mobile SNB review the 2nd highest chip performed better than i7 920 in most things.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/i...bile-landscape
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

If anyone has a Microcenter near them.

http://www.microcenter.com/storefron...pec/index.html

*Check out the launch day instant savings
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

While looking up CES stuff, came across a bunch of articles on the new motherboards, so figured I would link them.

upporting LGA 1156,ASRock P67 Transformer Motherboard Previewed

MSI P67A-GD65 Motherboard Previewed

ASUS P8P67 Motherboard Debuts At Japan

ASUS P8H67-M EVO Motherboard Previewed

MSI Big Bang Marshall Motherboard Showed Off

Specs of MSI P67/H67 Lineup Exposed

EVGA Offers P67 SLI Motherboard

Will post more as I find them.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Damonte missed out on the launch day inventory of the i7-2600k's at Microcenter.

Oh well. i7-2600k and ASRock P67 Extreme4 ordered.

Already have 8GB of DDR3 1600, eVGA 460GT FTW, Antec 750W and Antec 902 case.
                      Last edited by Damonte; 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Hmm, the i5-2xxx is interesting pitted against a 1100T, but given that it means a new motherboard and two price premiums (CPU and Board), I'm still not feeling all that excited about Intel's latest releases. The pricing scheme does change the landscape around a bit whereas those looking at PhII X6 rigs, now can pay a more and (perhaps) justify buying into a Intel i5 Sandy Bridge.

Though given the new year, I'm not exactly sold on recommending a Sandy Bridge CPU until AMD releases their Bulldozer lineup. At which point, we'll see where the blocks fall into the place and I can finally decide what's good at a given price point and what's not.

Edit: "two price premiums" -- note here is that it applies to those looking to upgrade their rigs (1st gen i-Series to current gen). Also took a second look at current chip prices and mobo prices.

As it stands, given the new 1155 mobos are far more affordable than Intel boards in the past, we've gotten to the point where right now, going AMD with a new rig doesn't seem all that of a value unless you're constantly working with multi-threaded apps (where a hexacore would apply). Keep in mind, this could all change in a few short months when (and if) AMD releases Bulldozer chips.
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Kind of funny video just put out by Intel to market the new CPU, so figured I'd share:
                          VOTD: The Chase Film

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a deal.
                            Frys has the i5 2500 for $210
                            Frys B&M Ad Scan Week 1/21/ - 1/27 Intel Core I5 2500K $210
                            Newegg has it for $225, so its a decent deal.

Also, when I looked it up on Newegg, saw something I hadn't noticed Newegg doing much of before. Selling bundles and barebones kits. They have always done it, just not pushed it like this.
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+2500K&x=0&y=0
                            Scroll down and look at the bottom 4.

In future news, and keeping up with the tic-toc schedual, here is some early news on Ivy Bridge:
                            Ivy Bridge 22nm comes in 1H 2012
                            and
                            Ivy Bridge 22nm sticks with socket 1155

So when you read the title of the 2nd article above, you get happy. Then you read the article, and get pissed. Of course with news this early, it could be wrong.
                            I can't believe Intel would only offer a motherboard for a year that couldn't be upgraded.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The new chip is socket LGA 1155 and it is socket compatible with the existing Sandy Bridge processors and Sugar Bay 2011 platform. Unfortunately we are quite sure that Cougar point PCH chipset of Sandy Bridge won’t support the new 22nm Ivy Bridge.
                              OK so I understand the codenames for the Processor (Sandy Bridge) and the PCH (Cougar Point?) but what does the Sugar Bay codename for the "platform" refer to?
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X