Upgrading my rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my rig

So my computer is getting a bit slow with the new games specially at the moment with BC2. Ive been thinking about buying a whole new rig but wouldnt want to spend so much money. I dont understand too much about computers so I tought that maybe some of you could help me. I play FPS games mostly.
    Here is some info on my rig:
    - AMD Athlon 62 X2 6000+
    - Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe
    - Memory 4GB DDR2 400mhz
    - Geforce 8800 gts 320mb
    Let me know if you need any more info.
    Let me know what you think what might be the best thing to upgrade or should I just buy a whole new rig. Or could I overclock this rig.
    sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
    "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Re: Upgrading my rig

I would say look at upgrading your CPU, BC2 is very CPU hungry and that is usually the bottleneck for that game and not the GPU
    your chip seems a few years old now and a dual core
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ft,1547-5.html
    I would check out what your motherboard supports and look into upgrading to a quad core

Comment

You'll need a new motherboard as your old Athlon 64 X2 is a old socket 939 (4 generations ago).

Something like this would do (depending on what your budget is going to be):

AM3 motherboard
      Phenom II X4
      (re-use RAM)
      (maybe upgrade to a HD5770 video card?)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually his cpu and motherboard is based on the AM2 socket. Not sure which of the newest AMD cpus will still work in an AM2 socket, but even if you went that route, your video card would still be holding it back quite a bit. In my opinion, I think you should wait until you can afford to do a top to bottom upgrade - cpu, motherboard, RAM, video card. Or do it in phases, i.e. new cpu/motherboard/ram first, then video card sometime later.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Hmm. Well, he could put in a Phenom II X4 chip (up to 95W), BUT he needs to flash his BIOS to at least 5001 beta (See the CPU Support List here). That has one big consequence, it seems the 5001 beta BIOS disables the onboard NIC chipset. So if he flashes, he'll have you use a separate PCI NIC. (If he's already using a card NIC, then no problems.)

To get the newer BIOS, he'll need to go to: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Select the following options for each drop-down:

1. Motherboard
          2. AM2/AM2+/AM3
          3. M2N-SLI

Click GO, select your OS (if you're on Win7, select Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit -- ASUS may not officially support Win7 with your board and the Vista drivers should work fine).

You'll see two BIOS revisions: 1103 and 5001. You'll want the 5001 BIOS.

Then you could go and get yourself a PhII X4. For example, the: Phenom II X4 925, 95W for $125 on NewEgg.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

CPU compatability list:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...luxe&product=1

User feedback in CPU compatibility:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...m2n32-sli.html

If you really want an upgrade*(rather than basically building a new system) I'd look at one of the quadcore Athlon II/Phenom II, with close to 3Ghz clock speed so that you will maintain similar/better performance in single and dual threaded applications. The extra 2 cores will help a bit in BFBC2, but you should get a graphics card upgrade as well. Depending on your screen resolution(you should list this as well) the 320MB on your video card is probably holding you back. We really need your screen resolution to give a good suggestion for a video card upgrade.

Alternatively Intel has just released their new CPU and accompanying platform, but AMDs won't follow until a good bit later in the year. Intel's provides great performance but you will be paying a lot, AMD's is unknown and still ~6 months out.

*edited
            Last edited by Namebot; 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM. Reason: clarity
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
              Alternatively Intel has just released their new CPU and accompanying platform, but AMDs won't follow until a good bit later in the year. Intel's provides great performance but you will be paying a lot, AMD's is unknown and still ~6 months out.
              I looked at Sandy Bridge components today on newegg and you can find SB motherboards in the $100 - $150 range. P67 based motherboards are as low as ~$130 while H67 based motherboards go as low as $100. Spend roughly $200 on the CPU and you can get set up in the $300 range for CPU/Motherboard. At these price points, it kind of makes going AMD right now a questionable route.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                I looked at Sandy Bridge components today on newegg and you can find SB motherboards in the $100 - $150 range. P67 based motherboards are as low as ~$130 while H67 based motherboards go as low as $100. Spend roughly $200 on the CPU and you can get set up in the $300 range for CPU/Motherboard. At these price points, it kind of makes going AMD right now a questionable route.
                He'll also need new RAM as he's using DDR2 still. That's going to tack on another $40+. So while he can get a new CPU for ~$130, he'll have to spend close to $350/400 if he wants to buy into the new Intel 2nd gen. i-Series chips.

If he's going to spend that kind of money, he might as well build a new rig.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I love watching Acreo and VoodooIT post....hashing it out with each other...because of you 2, i have figured out my build that i am going to do for the most part. You guys rock.

Comment

Acreo and Namebot are honestly the best, they are always the first to respond and super helpful when people need advice on computer builds, upgrades and tech problems.

Comment

Thanx for you tips guys. As I thought myself my rig was getting too old to be upgraded easily. So I think Ill have to get a new rig just hate it that Ive to do this every few years. Couple of questions for you:
                      - Intel or AMD and what type? Always had AMD. Seems that Intel is a bit more expensive but is it really better for FPS games use only?
                      - What kind of motherboard?
                      - Nvidia or ATI and what card? Always had Nvidia and been thinking about 460 gtx 1gb or 2gb.
                      - Memory how many GB and Mhz?
                      - My monitor supports 1680*1050 so should I get a new monitor to get better resolutions?
                      - Do you know any good and cheap online stores? Found cyber power pc on one thread but it doesnt ship products to Finland.
                      - Wanna buy my old rig? lol.
                      My budget is about 1000€=1300$.
                      sigpic

Comment

I asked that same eternal question as well except added a few things. I decided on AMD x6, 8 gigs DDR3 1600 ram, AMD (ATI) 6950 2gb PCI-E, motherboard Asus Crosshair IV Formula, Monitor i am going with a Asus 23.6 1080P LED monitor.

From what i have been told on here, Intel is good for multi tasking, and amd is more gaming intense. Either platform will be a good upgrade from what you are running now. Hope i helped out a little bit for you.
                        Again this is just from what i have read/been told.

Comment

- Intel or AMD and what type? Always had AMD. Seems that Intel is a bit more expensive but is it really better for FPS games use only?

Highly dependent on the specific games you want to play, check out some benchmarks. If you plan on building it soon I'd probably just get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115073

H67 allows use of the built in graphics P67 allows you to change the clockspeed of the "k" series CPUs significantly. If you aren't into tweaking your computer too much you may not care about the differences and just go for whichever is cheaper.

- Nvidia or ATI and what card? Always had Nvidia and been thinking about 460 gtx 1gb or 2gb.

Check benchmarks for specific games. I have a gtx460 and get nasty artifacts in BFBC2 if I minimize the game, otherwise it was a great improvement over the 8800gs 384 I had which is very similar to your current card's performance.

I'd start with 4, fastest speed at the cheapest price you can find, probably 1600

- My monitor supports 1680*1050 so should I get a new monitor to get better resolutions?

No way to tell until you see them in action. Go to a store and eyeball them, borrow a friends, or some such

- Do you know any good and cheap online stores? Found cyber power pc on one thread but it doesnt ship products to Finland.

no help here, newegg is where I buy from, but I don't think they ship to finland

My suggestions are based on access to North American prices and availability. If you figure out a good store to shop from it'll help give better advice from a budgetary standpoint.

You might get a decent amount of money for it if you have an equivalent of Craigslist. Or you could just butcher it for the reusable parts, optical drive, case, PSU?, harddrives?
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

At this point, it doesn't really matter which you go with. AMD will still save you some money (depending on how high end you go with the core components). Intel's pretty much king-of-the-hill overall for games and other applications. The big downside is every 2 years (or less), each platform/socket becomes a dead-end path in terms of upgradability as Intel phases them out with a new chip and socket for each segment of the market (namely: budget = i3, mainstream = i5/i7, enthusiast = i7). AMD's socket/platform is still on the more traditional pathing of "release as many chips as possible onto the current platform until you can't, then switch to a new platform".

In the real world that means (long detailed explanation if case you want to know or need a fresher on what's been happening of late):

Intel:

The previous generation ("1st generation Core" according to the revised Intel marketing) i-Series processors were released back in September 2009 and January 2010 (a few i7's were release in 09/09 and the rest came out in 01/10). They were the i3, i5, and i7 CPUs on Sockets LGA (land grid array, means the contact pins are on the motherboard socket instead of on the CPU PCB) 1156 and LGA 1366.

Now the new Sandy Bridge (aka "2nd generation Core") CPUs are now released less than 2 years later (basically 2 year later going off of the 01/10 releases). These new i3, i5, and i7 CPUs are incompatible with the previous generation and also require new sockets: LGA 1155 and 2011 (expected). These means that (currently) 1156 is a dead path. Does that mean you can't get anymore 1156 CPUs? No, it just means when retailers run out of 1156 CPUs, you won't be able to order one up anywhere since Intel has/will cease manufacturing Socket LGA 1156 CPUs.

Meaning, if you wanna buy into the 2nd generation i-Series chips, you need a new motherboard and a new gen 2 i-Series CPU.

Intel CPUs tend start start expensive and go up from there (typically @ $180 and upwards). Intel motherboards (speaking for the i-Series of chips) also have been relatively expensive compared with past Intel boards of old. Although the current 2nd gen i-Series boards now cost less than the previous generation (as low as $90 and upwards).

AMD:

Disregarding the old Socket PGA (pin grid array, means the contact pins are on the CPU PCB rather than the motherboard socket) 939, AMD has pushed the lifespan of it's AM2 socket through the past 3 generations (AM2 > AM2+ > AM3). Meaning a whole slew of chips from the past 3-4 years is usable on most AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket boards. Most people (like yourself) still have the option of buying a current generation AMD CPU and popping it in to replace your old one (with a BIOS update usually beforehand).

Although AMD has said the next generation chips (Bulldozer) will work with the AM3 socket, there is speculation that they might not. In which case, those who want Bulldozer will have to purchase a new motherboard. However, given AMD's past track record, if we do see a new socket for Bulldozer, likely that socket will live on for another 2-3 generations beyond Bulldozer.

Hence, the new socket (let's call it AM3+ for simplicity) will likely work with Bulldozer chips, the generation after that, and the generation after that (and perhaps beyond -- maybe).

AMD CPUs range from $40 to $280. AMD motherboards range from $40 to $200+.

Decide on Intel or AMD first, then we can talk chipsets and recommend good boards.

For the most part, there's only a handful of good motherboard brands: ASUS, ASRock, MSI, eVGA, Abit, DFI, Intel, Gigabyte, and SuperMicro (mainly server and entusiast boards). I wouldn't touch budget boards ($60 or less) from Biostar, Jetway, ECS, or Foxconn as they are hit-or-miss when it comes to reliability.

Disregard Abit as I remember now that they are a defunct company (went backrupt a few years back and their namesake is used for other purposes). DFI is almost irrelevant now since they only offer a few boards and are hard to find in most retailers and online stores (at least stateside).

This is a subject of much debate here and everywhere else. I've been a fan of both sides (and then some) and currently favor AMD (since ATI is wholly owned by AMD now and the ATI brand name is retired) over nVidia. My own reasons is that the recent past nVidia drivers aren't very stable and presented more problems than they solved (artifacts and BSODs mainly).

I'd recommend going with a HD5850 or above if you don't mind the slightly older HD5xxx line. If you want the latest and greatest, then the HD6950 is a current favorite and slightly outperforms the HD5850. It can also be "easily" flashed to be a HD6970 (current AMD flagship card out there).

However, if you've made up your mind on going with nVidia again, the GTX 460 is a great buy. As for VRAM size, 1 GB is sufficient for 99% of the games out there or coming out. 2 GBs isn't all that necessary unless you plan on doing some real time graphics/modeling work on the rig as well (AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc).

Agreed with Namebot, aim for 4 GBs. However, I'd say go for DDR3 1333 RAM instead of DDR3 1600 RAM unless you're using a upper-end midrange board or better. Some of the midrange and most of the budget boards out there have trouble running 1600 RAM at their full speed. Also on the same note, some 1600 RAM aren't really 1600 RAM but rather 1333 that can OC to 1600.

Will you see much performance difference between 1600 and 1333? Most likely not unless you're one of those few and rare people who can tell very small minute differences (like gameplay at 120 fps vs. 240 fps).

Depends. Are you happy with it now? If you are, I'd say don't buy a new one. If you are not, consider a HD display (1920 x 1080). Most 22"/24" LCDs now offer full HD panels and can be had for as little as $150.

If you are going to get a new monitor, consider buying LED-backlit model rather than the traditional CCFL-backlit LCD screens. The projected reliability is around 8-10 years of LED-backlit displays versus the 4-5 for traditional CCFL-backlits. They only cost a little more but are well worth it both for better brightness levels and some contrast improvements as well as longer lifespans.

And yes, 5 years can fly by really fast! My old 19" Samsung's CCFL backlighting started dying just one month after it's 5th birthday (3 weeks after I bought my current 25.5" ASUS).

CyberPower PC is mainly a custom PC boutique than it is a parts store. If you're looking for online parts stores, try the ones on this list: http://www.overclock.net/wanted/1202...han-us-uk.html

I often refer to that list when helping those from Europe.

If your CPU was a older Socket 939 Athlon 64 X2, I'd want it. Alas, it isn't, so sorry, not really interested.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Started going off on a tangent...
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanx again for the replies and links they were very useful. Will be checking the online stores and also some local suppliers. If I cant make up my mind or need help Ill be bothering you again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X