Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

    The rumors have been crazy for the last 2+ years, and today Verizon finally announced they will start offering the Iphone in early Feb. There is coverage at just about every news site out there, but of course Engadget has some of the best.

    Here is a link to all the latest:
    http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=iphone&sort=date

    One of the interesting new features is a built in mobile hotspot. One thing it can't do is make a call and use data at the same time. But I was trying to remember and don't know if I have ever done that anyway on the ATT iphone.

    So how about it? Anyone on Verizon going to pick one up? Anyone else going to switch to Verizon?




    LINKS

    * *


    Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

    -Carlos A. Urbizo-


  • #2
    Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

    I have had Verizon for over 15 years. It is about time they got the i Phone. I will be getting it.


    18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

      I care not for this, since both ATT and Verizon coverage maps point laugh whenever I put in my zip code.

      However, I thought this was an interesting chart. Verizon has been the stronghold of Android phones, with almost double the subscribers of the next largest carrier (and seven times the number of ATT's Android users). Now that it's introducing the lucrative iPhone into its lineup, the marketing efforts are at the very least going to be split between 'droid and iPhone... Not so good for Google.




      Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

        Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        One thing it can't do is make a call and use data at the same time. But I was trying to remember and don't know if I have ever done that anyway on the ATT iphone.
        I do this on occasion. To look a number to a store/business or get the details for something while chatting is convenient but nothing to write home about.



        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

          HAHAHAH!!!!
          Stop what you are doing and watch this clip now:
          The Daily Show reacts to Verizon iPhone, Jon Stewart gets a little excited (video)

          LINKS

          * *


          Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

          -Carlos A. Urbizo-

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

            A little late. Not sure why anyone cares anymore with Android phones becoming so mainstream. iPhone was cool back in its day, now it is just a waste of money.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

              Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
              I care not for this, since both ATT and Verizon coverage maps point laugh whenever I put in my zip code.
              Chebs, everyone laughs at your location. :D

              I wont be getting one because I'm an android junkie, but that actually ties in to my point.

              Everyone seems to be concerned that verizon's network wont be able to hack the load that the iphone is going to put on it.

              ATT is notorious for the issues with their 3G network. These issues have existed since the birth of the iphone and ATT doesnt seem to care too much because they're bilking their customers for truckloads of money (anyone else notice that they have the highest data plan prices?). These problems also effect, as of the last couple years, anyone who has an android device.

              Verizon, on the other hand, has gobs of android phones on their network. I havent heard a single peep out of people complaining that their entire city is without data coverage because the network/towers crashed. I'm inclined to believe that the iphone wont have any real impact on this.

              Even if it does, at least iphone users can expect to have a phone call that lasts longer than 30 seconds without the call dropping.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                I ALMOST got my wife an iphone - since verizon unlocked all my lines (clearly to spur the sale of the newly announced gadgets) early for upgrade. Then I saw the htc thunderbolt and motorola droid bionic. Now, my 12 yr old daughter will get my old eris, my wife will get my droid x, and I will live a few more months in 'best phone on the planet bliss' with the droid bionic. 4G FTW!!!!!! who cares about iphone anymore? once everyone from att shows up on VZW and sees the wonderful world of great devices - mostly running android - they may start dropping iphone as well.

                on a sad note, verizon is stopping the new every 2 discount as well as the early upgrade. I guess now that they are no longer scared of customers jumping ship.... why try to keep them locked in contracts and lose an extra 300 / customer / year.

                when i actually analyzed the repercussions of the change... I did discover that not a whole lot is actually changing.
                1) only the main number is eligible for new every 2 discounts and early upgrades anyway.
                2) there will still be the "new customer" 2yr contract price - on all lines (you just don't get the extra 100 off on the main line)
                3) you can still buy refurbs outright for less than new customer prices at anytime without contract - but cutting edge phones may not be available.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

                If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                  I'm, due for a Verizon update in the next year, but I think I'll stick with Andriod. My Droid has treated me well, and I have an iTouch (works great!) so no need to double up on the Apple for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                    As an ATT customer with an iPhone, I'd recommend a strong look before checking out the iPhone. Customization is extremely limited (can't have customized text alerts, for example), and it seems like batteries somehow start draining quickly after the 1 year warranty expires, conveniently. What magnifies this is that you're limited to the battery on the phone itself, so if it's near done and you dont have a charger nearby, you're hosed. This wasn't a problem at first, but after a year, it feels like it happens just when Murphy's Law dictates... which feels pretty frequent.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                      Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                      I'm, due for a Verizon update in the next year, but I think I'll stick with Andriod. My Droid has treated me well, and I have an iTouch (works great!) so no need to double up on the Apple for me.
                      but if you got an iPhone you could combine your two devices into one!
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                        Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
                        As an ATT customer with an iPhone, I'd recommend a strong look before checking out the iPhone. Customization is extremely limited (can't have customized text alerts, for example), and it seems like batteries somehow start draining quickly after the 1 year warranty expires, conveniently. What magnifies this is that you're limited to the battery on the phone itself, so if it's near done and you dont have a charger nearby, you're hosed. This wasn't a problem at first, but after a year, it feels like it happens just when Murphy's Law dictates... which feels pretty frequent.
                        Brokeback, have you considered a DIY battery replacement?. I'm about to do that with my wife's iTouch. (hers runs down within 12 hours; mine lasts a week... Of course it's not a battery quality issue, Apple!)

                        The only thing I'm really missing on the iTouch that makes me wish for an iPhone is the lack of a built-in mic. Well, a GPS would have been nice, too...




                        Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                        --BlackMirror
                        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                        --Blackraven93

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                          Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                          but if you got an iPhone you could combine your two devices into one!
                          But then I would have wasted that money! Which would make me feel stupid.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                            Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                            Brokeback, have you considered a DIY battery replacement?. I'm about to do that with my wife's iTouch. (hers runs down within 12 hours; mine lasts a week... Of course it's not a battery quality issue, Apple!)
                            I have actually been looking at replacing my battery. You can find complete kits with everything you need for under $20. But then you watch the videos on Youtube showing how to do it, and it's pretty ridiculous. There are so many parts you have to take apart before you even get to the battery. I think I'm going to try and hold off till I see what the next Iphone offers, then probably, just pick up something with Android.

                            LINKS

                            * *


                            Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

                            -Carlos A. Urbizo-

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Finally official, Verizon has the Iphone.......

                              Originally posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
                              A little late. Not sure why anyone cares anymore with Android phones becoming so mainstream. iPhone was cool back in its day, now it is just a waste of money.
                              LOL. Let's just igore the market share the iPhone has?
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X