Help with new processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new processor

I just bought a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core processor to replace my dual core. I have a Foxconn nForce 680i SLI mobo, model N68S7AA. I have checked and am sure this processor is supposed to work in the mobo but after install it booted, recognized the cpu and ram and froze and would not load windows, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

I removed the battery to reset the cmos and that didn't work and I'm sure I don't need to update the bios but even if I do it's a problem for me because my floppy drive does not work nor has it ever worked for some reason. Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone thinks that's the problem because I'm sure the mobo was supposed to work with the quad core processors when I bought it without a bios update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Time of this report: 1/11/2011, 20:20:05
    Machine name: BATTLEDRAGUN-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Foxconn
    System Model: C55A01
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/30/08 13:53:44 Ver: 08.00.14
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 974MB used, 7214MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Re: Help with new processor

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusup...&cputype=Intel

this cpu support list doesn't have the q8300, it doesn't let you select pcb revision or BIOS version though. You will notice that there are some quad core cpus on the list, just not the one you tried.

you system info is reporting a q6600, is this your previous cpu or is it with the q8300 in?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

the q6600 is my old processor, I put it back in. The page you linked to is the page I was looking for before I bought the processor, so it looks like I wasted my money or will have to buy a mobo as well....sheesh. Thanks for the help namebot

Comment

Just a heads up the Q6600(which is in fact a quad-core) you have should already offer similar performance to the q8300.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/7...the-q6600.html

It probably isn't worth changing motherboards.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If it comes down to buying a new motherboard it's not worth it, you should return or sell the Q8300 you bought and just buy a cpu/mobo based off current gen tech.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I bought the cpu from newegg and I'm pretty sure they won't take it back, I think their return policy only lets me replace it with the same cpu so I'm screwed in that department. I did some searching last night and I'm not even sure I could find a mobo that accepts the cpu and DDR2 ram anymore. I think I may just have to write that off as a really bad purchase. Thanks for the help though guys, appreciate it.

Comment

I'm sure you could find a P35/P45/X38/X48 based motherboard that supports your CPU on Ebay if you're willing to go that route.

Comment

I'd rather have an overclocked Q6600 than a Q8300 anyhow.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Battledragun View Post
                  I bought the cpu from newegg and I'm pretty sure they won't take it back, I think their return policy only lets me replace it with the same cpu so I'm screwed in that department. I did some searching last night and I'm not even sure I could find a mobo that accepts the cpu and DDR2 ram anymore. I think I may just have to write that off as a really bad purchase. Thanks for the help though guys, appreciate it.
                  Here are several LGA775 boards that will take either of your Core 2 Quads and DDR2 RAM:

$45 - ASRock - G31M-S
                  $45 - MSI - G31M
                  $46 - ASRock - G41M
                  $65 - ASUS - G41 - This one has 4 DDR2 slots rather than only 2 slots like the ones above.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                    I'd rather have an overclocked Q6600 than a Q8300 anyhow.
                    You think a dual core overclocked would work better than the quad core? I've never overclocked a cpu before and don't have the slightest clue how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Here are several LGA775 boards that will take either of your Core 2 Quads and DDR2 RAM:

$45 - ASRock - G31M-S
                      $45 - MSI - G31M
                      $46 - ASRock - G41M
                      $65 - ASUS - G41 - This one has 4 DDR2 slots rather than only 2 slots like the ones above.
                      Most of those boards are micro ATX and I'm not sure they would seat properly in my tower. I have a Cooler Master Stacker 830 if you're wondering. Link to the tower is here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119103

Comment

What do you guys think about the below build? I checked to see if the ram was compatible on the ASUS site but I can't open their excel document for some reason so I can't verfiy if the ram will work in the mobo.

- Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
                        - Asus P8P67 Deluxe
                        - Intel Core i7 2600K, Intel Core i7 2600, Intel Core i5 2500K, Intel Core i5 2500, Intel Core i5 2400, Intel Core i3 2120, Intel Core i3 2100
                        - G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL9D-8GBXLD
                        - EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Comment

What do you guys think about the below build? I checked to see if the ram was compatible on the ASUS site but I can't open their excel document for some reason so I can't verfiy if the ram will work in the mobo.

- Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
                          - Asus P8P67 Deluxe
                          - Intel Core i7 2600K, Intel Core i7 2600, Intel Core i5 2500K, Intel Core i5 2500, Intel Core i5 2400, Intel Core i3 2120, Intel Core i3 2100
                          - G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL9D-8GBXLD
                          - EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                          That SSD is apparently one of the fastest current gen SSD's out there so it should be a nice pick.

I read a review on the Asus P8P67 Pro that said it was really good all around. I imagine it applies to the deluxe version as well. Plus I think Asus makes the best boards.

The Core i5 2500K is probably the best bang for the buck right now. You get the unlocked multiplier for super easy overclocking and it's $100 cheaper than the Core i7 2600K. The only thing you miss out on is that it's 100MHz slower than the 2600K and it doesn't have hyperthreading, neither of which is important for most people.

You could definitely save some money on the RAM. These days, anything faster than DDR3-1600 is kind of pointless. See:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mem...sandy-bridge/6

Also, RAM doesn't really need it's own cooling and those fans look like they will just add needless noise. Either of these kits would be great for an SB build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145324

Personally, I prefer Corsair for memory.

Comment

Ya, I think you're def right about the ram and the corsair is probably a much better deal at $99 than the G.Skill I was looking at. I'm with you on the 2500k cpu, it seems to be the best of the lot price wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Battledragun
                              You think a dual core overclocked would work better than the quad core? I've never overclocked a cpu before and don't have the slightest clue how to do it.
                              Your old Q6600 is a quad-core not a dual-core. Since you seem to be so adamant about it being a dual-core, are you sure your old CPU isn't a E6600 and not a Q6600?

Most of those boards are micro ATX and I'm not sure they would seat properly in my tower. I have a Cooler Master Stacker 830 if you're wondering. Link to the tower is here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119103
                              You have a case that's capable of handling Full ATX boards. That means, it can hold a microATX board just fine.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X